The Student Room Group

Foundation years and student accommodation

I'm doing an Access course at the moment, but I don't feel like it's going to prepare me sufficiently enough to go straight into year one of a degree (engineering if anyone wants to know). For that reason I've been looking at doing the integrated foundation year that many universities offer. My question is, is the foundation year considered part of the course proper, meaning we are entitled to guaranteed student accommodation that you get if you go straight onto the first year of the degree? My concern is that I get accepted for a foundation year, but then struggle to find accommodation.

Are there any other mature students here planning to apply for a foundation year?
Hi there, I'm currently doing a foundation year... I wasn't allowed to stay in halls! But some unis do allow you to... It depends which uni you go to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks for the feedback. Which university are you at, and what did you do instead of staying in halls?
I have applied to numerous universities for foundation year courses and all of them treated students on these courses just like any other first year.

It is rare not to be treated as an undergraduate. Unless it is a foundation degree, but that is not the same as a foundation year.

What universities have you got in mind?

Original post by WorldPharmacist
Hi there, I'm currently doing a foundation year... I wasn't allowed to stay in halls! But some unis do allow you to... It depends which uni you go to :smile:

What uni are you at? Seem very odd to say the least. A foundation year is a year 1 of a 4/5 year BEng/MEng, so you are an undergraduate just like any other.
Reply 4
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
I have applied to numerous universities for foundation year courses and all of them treated students on these courses just like any other first year.

It is rare not to be treated as an undergraduate. Unless it is a foundation degree, but that is not the same as a foundation year.

What universities have you got in mind?

I enquired with University Southampton and University of Manchester and they both replied today saying that foundation year students are treated the same as year 1 and therefore get accommodation. I'm also looking at Nottingham, Newcastle and Swansea.
Hi I'm at Hertfordshire! The foundation year is held at the college so I have to rent a room out :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hey, I also did the Access course, did you receive any offers? I want to do CS
Would someone be able to tell me how many weeks a foundation year is as I am due to start my foundation year for the Adult nursing degree but I am unsure if I need to book accommodation for 42 weeks or the extended 50 weeks?
Reply 8
Original post by abedwards
Would someone be able to tell me how many weeks a foundation year is as I am due to start my foundation year for the Adult nursing degree but I am unsure if I need to book accommodation for 42 weeks or the extended 50 weeks?

even I'm doing the same course this September and not sure if i can book an accommodation
Original post by abedwards

Hi abedwards

I would check with your University, as it may differ from place to place. Check with the admissions team or the accommodation people may well know as well.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep

Latest