The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

University of Newcastle? What's it like in general?

Hi there, I'm curious to know how the University of Newcastle is? Pros and cons feel free to put me off or recommend me, your opinion is much appreciated.

Predicted

English - A

History - A

Art - B

Considering to apply for English (Q300)

Kind Regards

Bob
Reply 1
Pros good uni, good nightlife, friendly city, nice campus and you're literally minutes away from the city
cons depending on where you're coming from the city centre is relatively smallish(a lot would disagree) and weather

can't really give any cons cause i can't think of any things that i actually dislike. It'll be the same for all major city/unis so just go to the uni you prefer best, all big cities will be similar !
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Pros: like the city, like the university, most students I've met seem really down to earth.

Cons: outside of the usual cheese/house music, Newcastle's nightlife is quite limited and the music scene is nothing special.
Reply 3
Pros:
- Absolutely beautiful university. I mean, come on. You've seen the pictures. In real life? Even prettier.
- All staff are immensely and down to earth. Now that may just be my department, mind, but it's the general impression I've got.
- A lot of societies in the SU, so basically you can join absolutely anything you'd like! Previous experience doesn't matter. Honestly. Took me quite a while to realize that and get over my insecurities. Plus, we have Student Publication of the Year for a second year in a row (The Courier, the student newspaper). Societies will be the best thing you can do at uni.
- The campus is basically in the city centre, which I personally consider a very, very important thing.
- Newcastle in general is wonderful. This probably comes from me coming from a very tiny city but I absolutely love it and it has everything you can ask for really.
- The locals are immensely friendly and helpful (even if you'll find yourself wondering whether they speak English at times).
- The pubs, man! Amazing pubs in Newcastle.

Cons:
- The nightlife: meh. Much ado about nothing, really. Again, some people really do enjoy it, but most of the clubs (save digital and not so many more) are dingy, horrible, and overcrowded.
- Some of the uni accommodation is quite a walk away from uni. It's walkable but not when you have a 9am lecture. (take Bowsden court, Henderson Hall, and St Mary's for instance)
- I've heard people disliking the weather in general. I'm not all that fussed about it but be warned it is cold.
Im stuck between 2 of three Uni's including Newcastle, Leeds or Sheffield. The main problem is that Newcastle is in the North East and I have no idea what its like up there, sounds like a lovely place but for some reason I feel more inclined to stay in the North West or Yorkshire. I think Sheffield is my favourite but I was wondering if anyone could help me choose 2 out of the 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending