Decided on courses, but they pose difficulty in writing a balanced pesonal statement. Watch

philerus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have come down to a shortlist of uni courses I am interested in doing, including Human, Political and Social Sciences at Cambridge, Politics and Eastern European Studies at UCL and Economic History with Economics at LSE, which I stumbled upon after having originally decided on Politics with Economics at LSE. My other two UCAS choices will also have something to do with politics and economics. Although the courses are similar and I have decided on my areas if interest, the courses are dissimilar enought to cause hardships when trying to write a personal statement, I know these universities require an excellent personal statement and I really don't want to mess this uo. What should I do?
Hanover
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by philerus)
I have come down to a shortlist of uni courses I am interested in doing, including Human, Political and Social Sciences at Cambridge, Politics and Eastern European Studies at UCL and Economic History with Economics at LSE, which I stumbled upon after having originally decided on Politics with Economics at LSE. My other two UCAS choices will also have something to do with politics and economics. Although the courses are similar and I have decided on my areas if interest, the courses are dissimilar enought to cause hardships when trying to write a personal statement, I know these universities require an excellent personal statement and I really don't want to mess this uo. What should I do?
Even though most of the courses are based on social sciences/politics/economics, they do vary individually like: Eastern European Studies & Politics with Economics. I don't know how you can manage to include all thisin your ps. It wouldn't show your high interest/motivation very well for the courses and you can get rejected very easily.
Especially Cambridge would notice that you're definitely applying for other courses as well..
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Choose what you really want to do and apply for that. I am assuming you aren't applying for this year as the deadline for Cambridge applications was October 15th. You will stand very little chance of admission to these very oversubscribed courses with a ps that isn't targeted at them specifically, so do your research, make your choices and make a properly focused application in September/October next year.
philerus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hanover)
Even though most of the courses are based on social sciences/politics/economics, they do vary individually like: Eastern European Studies & Politics with Economics. I don't know how you can manage to include all thisin your ps. It wouldn't show your high interest/motivation very well for the courses and you can get rejected very easily.
Especially Cambridge would notice that you're definitely applying for other courses as well..
I know, so I'm very worried... Thing is the course at Cambridge really appeals to me, but there is no degree joining politics with economics. Eastern European Studies, on the other hand, can encompass both economics and politcs (due to being very flexible modulewise). So apart from HSPS at Cambridge and economic history,I think the courses are quite well connected and I'm very intent on pursuing all of them. I really don't want to sacrifice an application to cambridge, so I'm desperate to try and find a way to encompass all of that into my ps.
Hanover
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know, so I'm very worried... Thing is the course at Cambridge really appeals to me, but there is no degree joining politics with economics. Eastern European Studies, on the other hand, can encompass both economics and politcs (due to being very flexible modulewise). So apart from HSPS at Cambridge and economic history,I think the courses are quite well connected and I'm very intent on pursuing all of them. I really don't want to sacrifice an application to cambridge, so I'm desperate to try and find a way to encompass all of that into my ps.
I strongly recommend you to optimize your choices or courses, so that they're more similar to each other in order to write a proper PS. Otherwise, it's not gonna work out in my opinion, especially for the highly selective unis you want to apply to!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For HSPS: Cambridge require you to complete the SAQ http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/saq.html after applying. This includes an optional additional PS (albeit a shorter one that on UCAS).

Cambridge know their courses are often unique and so don't rely on the UCAS PS as much as most other universities.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As said, Cambridge do allow a second PS. However, I thought from your OP, eastern European studies was at UCL. I think this is the most difficult of your courses to fit in, as I would expect the admissions tutors would want to see a specific interest in eastern Europe, whilst most of your other courses will probably focus on UK politics and economics.

I suggest the best thing to do, apart from the Cambridge course, is chose four courses that are the same or very similar. Why not try to find four economics with politics courses? This will be much easier to write a statement for, and maximise your chances of getting a place. For the LSE course you're currently interested in, I don't think they would expect much pure politics content in a PS, for example, and LSE say they put a lot of emphasis on the PS.

As you're not applying until next year, you still have plenty of time to research and visit other universities and find four very similar courses that you really like. You don't have to apply to UCL, for example, if there's not a course there you are really passionate about.
philerus
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
As said, Cambridge do allow a second PS. However, I thought from your OP, eastern European studies was at UCL. I think this is the most difficult of your courses to fit in, as I would expect the admissions tutors would want to see a specific interest in eastern Europe, whilst most of your other courses will probably focus on UK politics and economics.

I suggest the best thing to do, apart from the Cambridge course, is chose four courses that are the same or very similar. Why not try to find four economics with politics courses? This will be much easier to write a statement for, and maximise your chances of getting a place. For the LSE course you're currently interested in, I don't think they would expect much pure politics content in a PS, for example, and LSE say they put a lot of emphasis on the PS.

As you're not applying until next year, you still have plenty of time to research and visit other universities and find four very similar courses that you really like. You don't have to apply to UCL, for example, if there's not a course there you are really passionate about.
Cambridge allows a second ps? I've never heard such a thing, are you sure it is correct? And if yes, do you have a link to somewhere that confirms it? Anyhow, thanks for your advice anyway.
philerus
Rep:
?
Cambridge allows a second ps? I've never heard such a thing, are you sure it is correct? And if yes, do you have a link to somewhere that confirms it? Anyhow, thanks for your advice anyway.
oh, sorry, no need. I just found it.
Naiad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oh, sorry, no need. I just found it.
I haven't looked, but perhaps you might want to check whether there's anything related to Eastern Europe in the Cambridge course (optional modules, communism...).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (67)
23.18%
No (222)
76.82%

Watched Threads