Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

I have applied to do a 3yr Politics Degree (Undergraduate) starting in September 2006. After completing this degree, would it be at all possible to go on to a different University to do another undergraduate degree in a different subject? (Sociology). Would there be any financial help available to do this (considering I will be in my early 20's by this time) and if I am able to do this 2nd degree, what would I have to do in order to qualify for it?

Sorry if this seems a bit confusing, I wasn't sure exactly how to explain it.

Lotte

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to do two degrees?
    why dont you just do a masters in Sociology after u finish your undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mussy123)
    Why do you want to do two degrees?
    why dont you just do a masters in Sociology after u finish your undergrad.
    I will be living at home whilst studying Politics at my local University because I do not want to move away. I want to do Sociology, but Lincoln doesn't offer it, and I still kinda want to do Politics anyway. Therefore I was wondering if it would be possible for me to do a 2nd undergraduate degree in Sociology at a University that offers it after I have finished my politics degree, and also when I have the confidence and ability to move away from home to study it! There are other (more personal) reasons for wanting to do a 2nd degree, which I don't really want to go into detail about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lotte)
    I will be living at home whilst studying Politics at my local University because I do not want to move away. I want to do Sociology, but Lincoln doesn't offer it, and I still kinda want to do Politics anyway. Therefore I was wondering if it would be possible for me to do a 2nd undergraduate degree in Sociology at a University that offers it after I have finished my politics degree, and also when I have the confidence and ability to move away from home to study it! There are other (more personal) reasons for wanting to do a 2nd degree, which I don't really want to go into detail about.
    yes you can do the second degree. However you'll recieve no fee or loan support.

ReputationRep:
    After you've graduated, you'll be a post-graduate, so you'll study as a post-grad and not as an under-grad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    After you've graduated, you'll be a post-graduate, so you'll study as a post-grad and not as an under-grad.
    Not true - I'm doing a second undergraduate degree, I am an undergraduate!

To the OP - JackieS is correct. With the new student finance arrangements there are not many degree schemes whereby you would qualify for a student loan (I think the only ones are Allied health professions, medicine and dentalism), and you will not qualify for any help with your fees...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I stand corrected, didn't know that was possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)

Ooh, so what made you decide to do a second degree?

(If you don't mind me asking, I'm just being nosey)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mellie)

I think Fluffy did genetics at Swansea and later realised that she wanted to do Medicine... which is a calling for many people. So it's not too hard a decision to be convinced to make for many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mellie)

I want to go into academic medicine - practice and more clinical research. When I finished my doctorate I realised it was then or never...

And to The_Lennon- the rules have changed now - there are very few degrees that receive any support it taken as a second degree (medicine is one of the few).

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.