Mr Tall
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
why is CH3CH(OH)CN not an alcohol? surely it is as it has an hydroxyl group?

Apparently it's called 2-hydroxypropanenitrile, but, why isn't called propanenitrile-2-ol?

thanks
anatomical frog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The CN group takes priority over the OH group, hence you use hydroxyl- as opposed as -ol. That's just the IUPAC rules I guess.

[Edit: This is because as the CN is the priority, it goes on the end of the name as the suffix (i.e: -nitrile is used on the end to show the CN group.]
Sparta_Kane
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, it does have an alcohol functional group. I think it's naming conventions. Normally the "most important" functional group is named last, and in this case it is the -CN group.
Also might be that since alcohols can also have the prefix "hydroxy-" as well as the "-ol" suffix it works. Maybe the -CN group doesnt have a prefix version so it is left as a "-nitrile"
anatomical frog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sparta_Kane)
Yes, it does have an alcohol functional group. I think it's naming conventions. Normally the "most important" functional group is named last, and in this case it is the -CN group.
Also might be that since alcohols can also have the prefix "hydroxy-" as well as the "-ol" suffix it works. Maybe the -CN group doesnt have a prefix version so it is left as a "-nitrile"
The prefix for CN is cyano- I believe. But you're right about the functional groups.
Mr Tall
Rep:
?
(Original post by anatomical frog)
The CN group takes priority over the OH group, hence you use hydroxyl- as opposed as -ol. That's just the IUPAC rules I guess.
why does it take priority?

many thanks.
anatomical frog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr Tall)
why does it take priority?

many thanks.
The IUPAC sets an order of groups, to make naming universal. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact order, but CN is higher than OH.

The exception to the rule is with an alkene, this always ends in -ene (of the compounds you study at A level)

[Edit: Here's a complete list. http://www.masterorganicchemistry.co...nomenclature/]
Mr Tall
Rep:
?
(Original post by anatomical frog)
The IUPAC sets an order of groups, to make naming universal. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact order, but CN is higher than OH.

The exception to the rule is with an alkene, this always ends in -ene.
ok thanks buddy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (213)
43.83%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.52%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.19%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (51)
10.49%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed