StarkRob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How hard does an reasonably intelligent person have to work in order to get a good 2.1 in law at university. I know it depends so don't give me answers like "how long is a piece of string?"
If you did around 20 hours of independent work a week (5h per module) which included all the essential reading and understanding the topic reasonably well could you get a 2.1?

how hard did you 2nd and 3rd year students work?

I'm on a gap year trying to decide on a degree to take.
arrowhead
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by StarkRob)
How hard does an reasonably intelligent person have to work in order to get a good 2.1 in law at university. I know it depends so don't give me answers like "how long is a piece of string?"
If you did around 20 hours of independent work a week (5h per module) which included all the essential reading and understanding the topic reasonably well could you get a 2.1?

how hard did you 2nd and 3rd year students work?
You can work as hard as you want without understanding the material and it won't make a difference, and you can work very little, but as long as you understand the material, you will get a high score. It also comes down to how selectively you study for exams.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
*points to the library* go frodo go
Le Nombre
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A 2.1: Know your Law really well, know the cases and know the rules from them, stick to the problem questions and just apply it. If you do this you will get a decent 2.1.
Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by StarkRob)
I know it depends so don't give me answers like "how long is a piece of string?"
:facepalm:

My advice, which is the same for any degree, is to work as hard as you feel you can. When your ability to work hard is outstripped by the work load then you're less likely to get a 2.i, simples. It's not specific advice like you seem to want, but then you're not really being specific in your question.
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're OK just scraping 60, just read the lecture notes, attend seminars and know the cases from your seminars for exams. I'm pretty sure I could have got 60 average so far if I didn't do any independent work, except a bit of reading for essays.
incorrect1993
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Katie_p)
If you're OK just scraping 60, just read the lecture notes, attend seminars and know the cases from your seminars for exams. I'm pretty sure I could have got 60 average so far if I didn't do any independent work, except a bit of reading for essays.
Really?! May I ask what uni are you attending?
I feel like something in textbook might not be that "practical" and not sure if it will be useful for problem question. E.G: remedy for different topic
Katie_p
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by incorrect1993)
Really?! May I ask what uni are you attending?
I feel like something in textbook might not be that "practical" and not sure if it will be useful for problem question. E.G: remedy for different topic
Warwick.
Basically, they can't ask you anything in exams outside your set reading and lectures, so you have to be able to get about 65 just off that. It's fair enough reserving a 1st for "additional" reading and info.
But yeah, I found I could easily get by doing a lot less work than I did, but then I naturally retain most of what I hear in a lecture, and a decent amount of what I read in a book. I guess if you find it harder to recall details you would need to put more hours in?
incorrect1993
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Warwick.
Basically, they can't ask you anything in exams outside your set reading and lectures, so you have to be able to get about 65 just off that. It's fair enough reserving a 1st for "additional" reading and info.
But yeah, I found I could easily get by doing a lot less work than I did, but then I naturally retain most of what I hear in a lecture, and a decent amount of what I read in a book. I guess if you find it harder to recall details you would need to put more hours in?
But isn't it we need to reading different books or journals to get higher mark? is it even necessary? It give me a lot of pressure and I don't know where to start since I have not been told what specific books to read.....
incorrect1993
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Warwick.
what did you mean by additional reading? and how do you find them?
Katie_p
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by incorrect1993)
But isn't it we need to reading different books or journals to get higher mark? is it even necessary? It give me a lot of pressure and I don't know where to start since I have not been told what specific books to read.....
Most of my lectures have assigned reading from 1 (maybe a choice of 2) textbook. Then there is recommended reading of up to 5 other sources, usually journal articles, per topic. Some modules have more, some less. You can probably get 50 overall by reading the lecture notes, 60 by reading the textbook for exams and recommended articles for an essay, and 70 would only be achievable by reading most of the recommended stuff as well.
But in my experience the essential reading is all that is essential.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
22.86%
Excited but a bit nervous (142)
45.08%
Not bothered either way (37)
11.75%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.32%

Watched Threads