The Student Room Group

what is my IV and DV?

I am conducting an experiment to see if there is a link between dyslexia and conformity. I have two groups of participants those with dyslexia and those with out,I have one condition and in that condition a participant is interviewed and asked about their views on a matter(the participants have already said what thy felt in a previously gathered questionnaire ie they are against gay marriage but everyone in the room is for it).Both groups of participant do the same condition.
Reply 1
Your IV is what you are manipulating/controlling. Your DV is what you are measuring to see the effect of the IV.

In this situation, dyslexia is your IV, the participants' views are your DV(s). You will want/need to operationalise your DV to make it easier for yourself to analyse.
Reply 2
Original post by skotch
Your IV is what you are manipulating/controlling. Your DV is what you are measuring to see the effect of the IV.

In this situation, dyslexia is your IV, the participants' views are your DV(s). You will want/need to operationalise your DV to make it easier for yourself to analyse.

how do I do that?
Reply 3
Original post by vanessap
how do I do that?

Operationalizing essentially means being specific about how you're measuring it.

In your case, how are you specifically measuring their views? Will you be using a quantitative Likert-type (1-7) scale, or a more qualitative scale (e.g. v good, good, okay, bad, v bad)? Something like that...
Reply 4
Original post by skotch
Operationalizing essentially means being specific about how you're measuring it.

In your case, how are you specifically measuring their views? Will you be using a quantitative Likert-type (1-7) scale, or a more qualitative scale (e.g. v good, good, okay, bad, v bad)? Something like that...

Don't want to hijack the thread but this is something I fail to understand, which I need to know :s-smilie:

How do you operationalise if you have the data given to you? Do you need references? I just need a basic explanation and i'll be good to go!
And how is it different to the hypothesis (which I know is a statement on the relationship I expect to find)?

Thank you if you can help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Don't want to hijack the thread but this is something I fail to understand, which I need to know :s-smilie:

How do you operationalise if you have the data given to you? Do you need references? I just need a basic explanation and i'll be good to go!
And how is it different to the hypothesis (which I know is a statement on the relationship I expect to find)?

Thank you if you can help :smile:

I've basically explained in my post above. To operationalize is to define what you are measuring. The hypothesis is your initial statement of what you think will happen - your prediction.

EXAMPLE
Two groups of people - one group male, the other female. You want to work out whether males are faster than females.

To strip the hypothesis down to basics, it can be:
- general ('two-tailed') - i.e. the result could go in either direction e.g. 'Males and females will differ in speed'

or

- directional/specific ('one-tailed') - i.e. you're predicting the result will go in a certain direction e.g. 'Males will be faster than females.'

That's the basics.

What you then need to do is to operationalize what you are measuring. Essentially - be specific! This also comes in the hypothesis (and the methods, but that's for another post...).

To take the same examples, this time operationalized:

General - 'men and women will differ in the time it takes them to run the course of an outdoor 100m track under the same conditions'

Specific - 'men will complete the course of an outdoor 100m track in a shorter amount of time than women will on the same track in the same conditions'

In these examples the bold bit is the operationalization. We have gone from 'speed' in the first two examples I gave to something that we can actually test. Speed is a very ambiguous concept, by defining what we mean by speed (i.e. the time it takes to run an outdoor 100m track) the results of the test actually have some meaning and can be further analysed.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions about psychology (or just life in general!) feel free to ask!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by skotch
I've basically explained in my post above. To operationalize is to define what you are measuring. The hypothesis is your initial statement of what you think will happen - your prediction.

EXAMPLE
Two groups of people - one group male, the other female. You want to work out whether males are faster than females.

To strip the hypothesis down to basics, it can be:
- general ('two-tailed') - i.e. the result could go in either direction e.g. 'Males and females will differ in speed'

or

- directional/specific ('one-tailed') - i.e. you're predicting the result will go in a certain direction e.g. 'Males will be faster than females.'

That's the basics.

What you then need to do is to operationalize what you are measuring. Essentially - be specific! This also comes in the hypothesis (and the methods, but that's for another post...).

To take the same examples, this time operationalized:

General - 'men and women will differ in the time it takes them to run the course of an outdoor 100m track under the same conditions'

Specific - 'men will complete the course of an outdoor 100m track in a shorter amount of time than women will on the same track in the same conditions'

In these examples the bold bit is the operationalization. We have gone from 'speed' in the first two examples I gave to something that we can actually test. Speed is a very ambiguous concept, by defining what we mean by speed (i.e. the time it takes to run an outdoor 100m track) the results of the test actually have some meaning and can be further analysed.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions about psychology (or just life in general!) feel free to ask!

Thank you for this, I understand this much more now. Just to clarify in your example speed is the dependent variable. Is the measurable concept always the dependent variable?
Reply 7
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Thank you for this, I understand this much more now. Just to clarify in your example speed is the dependent variable. Is the measurable concept always the dependent variable?

Yes. The dependent variable is always what you measure. The independent variable is what you are changing/manipulating.

In my example:
DV = speed
IV = gender
Reply 8
Original post by skotch
Yes. The dependent variable is always what you measure. The independent variable is what you are changing/manipulating.

In my example:
DV = speed
IV = gender

Cool thank you! Textbooks always overcomplicate concepts that can be explained simply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending