Vehicle tax disc to be axed! doesn't mean you no longer have to pay tax though!!

Watch
Lee Drinkwater
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
here, read for yourself

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...57155469,d.ZGU
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"doesn't mean you no longer have to pay tax though!!"

It does if you happen to own a car made before '74.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Going to make buying a second hand car more annoying now isn't it?
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wonder how this will affect people when they take their car abroad?
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Camoxide)
Going to make buying a second hand car more annoying now isn't it?
You might find this link useful...

You can find out if any car is taxed.

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Ev...execution=e2s1

... and if you want to check if it's insured use this link.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 6 years ago
Just means they'll announce VED rises as monthly prices rather than yearly. Makes it more digestible for joe average.
Camoxide
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
You might find this link useful...

You can find out if any car is taxed.

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Ev...execution=e2s1

... and if you want to check if it's insured use this link.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
Which means it's going to be even more annoying when people hide the number plates in car adverts.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
I wonder how this will affect people when they take their car abroad?
Does it matter? I mean, do they care in another EU country (for example) if you have paid your UK VED?
rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Does it matter? I mean, do they care in another EU country (for example) if you have paid your UK VED?
I don't know, however given that if they don't check, we will stop checking foreign cars have the VED equivalent, then they might.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FXX)
Just means they'll announce VED rises as monthly prices rather than yearly. Makes it more digestible for joe average.
Yes, it sounds useful to be able to pay on a DD. Being a cynic about it, I wonder though if this is a prelim to sticking it up a lot - car tax is one of those hard to avoid taxes that governments are so fond of, since they gave up taxing big corporations and etailers and made tax voluntary for rich people.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
I don't know, however given that if they don't check, we will stop checking foreign cars have the VED equivalent, then they might.
Is that something that the British police check? I tend to assume foreign drivers driving foreign-plate cars can pretty much do as they please on British roads with little fear of any comeback, I don't know how true my assumption is. I've seen EU-plate cars driving at insane speeds on motorways, which makes me suspect they don't fear police intervention.
rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Is that something that the British police check? I tend to assume foreign drivers driving foreign-plate cars can pretty much do as they please on British roads with little fear of any comeback, I don't know how true my assumption is. I've seen EU-plate cars driving at insane speeds on motorways, which makes me suspect they don't fear police intervention.
I am pretty sure it is checked if the foreign driver is pulled over for another reason as part of a standard check, and I also think that say a member of the public saw that a disc on a car was out of the date, and reported it to the police they would investigate.

I think that may just be because we are not as strict, in France for instance, if you get stopped going over 40kph over the limit, they will confiscate your licence there and then.
Henrikh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FXX)
and probably change criterion too. Too many new cars being built which have low emissions.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Which means it's going to be even more annoying when people hide the number plates in car adverts.
So just send them a message and ask for it "because I want to do an HPI check".
Camoxide
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
So just send them a message and ask for it "because I want to do an HPI check".
I usually just need it to get an insurance quote. But it really puts me off or makes me lose interest. It's like urgh I have to ring them up just to get the numberplate. And if they're going to just give it to me what's the point in blurring it out in the first place?
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I usually just need it to get an insurance quote. But it really puts me off or makes me lose interest. It's like urgh I have to ring them up just to get the numberplate. And if they're going to just give it to me what's the point in blurring it out in the first place?
There isn't any point.
The sort of people that do that are ********s.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
There isn't any point.
The sort of people that do that are ********s.
I disagree. The Police reckon there's about 10,000 cars now with cloned number plates, and the number keeps going up. Obviously with ANPR if the description of the car doesn't match the record the Police will be suspicious, so what's the easiest way of finding a number plate to clone which matches the car you want to use? Find an advert with the number plate visible.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
I disagree. The Police reckon there's about 10,000 cars now with cloned number plates, and the number keeps going up. Obviously with ANPR if the description of the car doesn't match the record the Police will be suspicious, so what's the easiest way of finding a number plate to clone which matches the car you want to use? Find an advert with the number plate visible.
Someons clones your plates... um, so what?

I once had my plates cloned. I got a speeding ticket for a Volvo in London running around with my plates. The ticket was quashed.

That's about as exciting as it's going to get.
I must have sex
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
As many as it takes for the shoes / pads to grip the disk / drum.

well, it used to take only 3 - 4 clicks to fully secure my car, now afteer mechanc did something to ti to pass it's MOT it takes about 6 clicks and it really pissing me off
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by I must have sex)
well, it used to take only 3 - 4 clicks to fully secure my car, now afteer mechanc did something to ti to pass it's MOT it takes about 6 clicks and it really pissing me off
Why is it "pissing you off".

Does it work or not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.24%
I'm not sure (59)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (373)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (621)
48.86%

Watched Threads