The Student Room Group

Dating someone you have very little in common with

Has anyone done this and has it worked? My problem is that I have more in common with people of my parents age, rather than people my own age. (although there is an age gap of 14 years)
Reply 1
Original post by OU Student
Has anyone done this and has it worked? My problem is that I have more in common with people of my parents age, rather than people my own age. (although there is an age gap of 14 years)

Your parents were 14 when they had you :K:

Depends what you mean by little in common with, I know people who disagree on all sorts (my mate the SWP campaigner is in a happy, long term relationship with a committed Thatcherite) but if you mean you have no shared interests, hobbies etc. proably not going to work.

What do you mean parents age? My parents friends main interests are the likes of workplace politics, how their kids' education's going etc. which I can't imagine is that interesting for anyone our age.
Reply 2
Original post by Le Nombre
Your parents were 14 when they had you :K:

No! There's 14 years between me and this guy who wants to go out with me, who I don't have that much in common with.

What do you mean parents age? My parents friends main interests are the likes of workplace politics, how their kids' education's going etc. which I can't imagine is that interesting for anyone our age.

I have more in common with some friends of mine, who are closer to my parents age, rather than my own age.

The only thing we really have in common is that we both run, which is how we know each other. I don't really share any of his interest in music, for example.
Reply 3
I don't think I have a lot in common with my partner. We have different interests, hobbies, religious views, taste in films etc. but that just makes for more to talk about :smile: I think it's more how you click with the person rather than what you have in common.

My ex and I didn't have a lot in common either, and our conversations were rather dull. Whereas right now I still don't have a lot in common with my partner but we can engage in conversation for 3 hours easily. Honestly it's more about the person/chemistry.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
No! There's 14 years between me and this guy who wants to go out with me, who I don't have that much in common with.

I have more in common with some friends of mine, who are closer to my parents age, rather than my own age.

The only thing we really have in common is that we both run, which is how we know each other. I don't really share any of his interest in music, for example.

So he's 14 years older and too young for you? Sorry, I'm seriously confused!

I'm not sure you need to enjoy the same music, films etc. to be happy together, just get on and enjoy some of the same things so you can spend time together doing things that aren't shagging. Obviously there are some things, such as an interest in politics, where you don't have to agree on it to enjoy spending time with each other discussing it.
I dated a guy briefly in the summer and we had nothing in common. Stupidly I think that it was a bad move. There was far too many awkward silences!
I think that he liked me because the idea of dating a girl gamer was awesome but he didn't even play the same games as me so it wasn't really a thing that we had in common.. awkward lol
It ended before he even became a boyfriend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending