Debrasilver
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm struggling with how to answer my tort essay, I haven't been given a structure or any help yet. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Alf and Bruno used to live together as partners. They fell out and terminated their relationship on 1st April last year. Alf then went to live in another county, 20 miles away. Though Bruno wanted to restart their relationship, Alf declined. Bruno, therefore, started to threaten Alf, texting him about twice a day to say he knew where to find Alf and to describe how he would end Alf's life by dismembering him. Alf went to the police to complain about Bruno's threats to ill him, but the police officer, PC Doit, who first dealt with him and was designated officer in charge of the case, did not believe Alf, rather, he thought that Alf was wasting police time. However, because of Alf's persistence, PC Doit went to see and interview Alf at his house. There he read the text messages (death threats) sent by Bruno to Alf. He told Alf not to worry as the police will deal with the matter. He went on to assure Alf that the police would stop Bruno in his tracks. Alf promptly gave Bruno's address, etc., to PC Doit. But, PC Doit still thought that Alf was wasting police and, so, he did nothing about Alfs complaints. He neither reported them to his colleagues verbally nor recorded them in the station log book.

Two weeks later, on Saturday at 6pm Bruno attacked Alf with a Baseball bat. Alf sustained a fractured skull and a minor brain damage, and was hospitalised for a month.
Because of the attack and his subsequent hospitalisation, Alf was unable to go and buy a lottery ticket using his usual numbers. if he had been able to buy that ticket, he would have won £2m.

When Alf's mother, his only living relative, was informed that evening by the police about his injuries, she suffered nervous shock.

Discuss the issues of tortious liability in this scenario.
username944192
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It looks more like a problem question than an essay?
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
The three main things I think they want you to talk about are breach of statutory duty (by the police), loss of a chance, and secondary victims (his mum's nervous shock).

As for structure, you need to identify the issue, state what the law is, explain it (with reference to cases) and apply it to the facts. Sorry I can't be more specific - I'm about to nip out!
euphrosyne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is really random (and useless) but ahhhhhh, I'm gonna be studying Law next year (fingers crossed) and reading this has made me super excited!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (87)
64.44%
I don't have everything I need (48)
35.56%

Watched Threads