Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Laurel,

I still haven't heard anything about my application yet for MSc Petroleum Geoscience. You said Sophie would contact me last week.

Luke

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
    Hi Jess,

Can I just check, have you/are you applying before the 15th of Jan? By closing date...do you mean the 15th? Or is the the portfolio closing date?

Laurel
    Hey laurel
    I have already applied and I meant the 15th as a closing date for the applications ! I'm just worried that because I only applied around a week ago it might affect any chances of me getting accepted
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Luke O'Gorman)
    Laurel,

I still haven't heard anything about my application yet for MSc Petroleum Geoscience. You said Sophie would contact me last week.

Luke
    Hi Luke,
    I emailed and spoke to Sophie last week and she was keeping an eye on your application. As far as I am aware, she is still waiting on the department to make a decision on your application.
    Laurel
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by JessX14)
    Hey laurel
    I have already applied and I meant the 15th as a closing date for the applications ! I'm just worried that because I only applied around a week ago it might affect any chances of me getting accepted
    Hi Jess,
    No need to worry...I'll explain why now everyone who applies before the 15th gets equal consideration. Your application will be considered the same as someone who applied in October.
    Good luck,
    Laurel

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I recently made an application for Geology BSc.
    Today I received an earth science prospectus from RH and after reading about Environmental Geology am now in two halves about which course I want to study.
    I noticed that they both follow the same course structure for the first year, would there be any scope to change between courses before the start of the second year if I decided I wanted to change?

3vo

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently in my AS year studying: psychology, english literature, ICT and business studies. I really would like to go to royal holloway and study psychology. On the website the requirements are AAA. I have started revising for summer exams now to ensure I nail those exams. Incase I don't is there any other offer they may give me. E.g. AAB, or ABB.
    Any help would be much appreciated because I'm really anxious about my exams.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 3vo)
    Hi,

I recently made an application for Geology BSc.
    Today I received an earth science prospectus from RH and after reading about Environmental Geology am now in two halves about which course I want to study.
    I noticed that they both follow the same course structure for the first year, would there be any scope to change between courses before the start of the second year if I decided I wanted to change?

3vo
    Hi 3vo,
    To get the best answer on course structure/module choices I would suggest that you contact the department of earth science.
    The number is: 01784 443582
    Hopefully they will be able to help you decide which course you prefer
    Laurel

ReputationRep:
    Good Afternoon

I received a conditional offer last week for Classics. I am currently on a gap year having taken my A-Levels last year (AAA). The condition was that I supply scans of my certificates to confirm the results that I said that I had. I emailed the scans to arts-admissions but have not had any reply. I presumed that whenever admissions received the scans that the offer would switch from conditional to unconditional.
    Regards
    Mark
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by tweety97)
    Hi,
    I'm currently in my AS year studying: psychology, english literature, ICT and business studies. I really would like to go to royal holloway and study psychology. On the website the requirements are AAA. I have started revising for summer exams now to ensure I nail those exams. Incase I don't is there any other offer they may give me. E.g. AAB, or ABB.
    Any help would be much appreciated because I'm really anxious about my exams.
    Hi,
    It's great to hear how hard you are working Psychology is one of our most popular courses and it is also one of the hardest to get into because they want students that have AAA with a B at maths GCSE.
    They make decisions based on predicted grades - so it doesn't matter as much if you get AAB/ABB at AS if you are predicted AAA. You can still apply with AAB but please remember that you will be up against students with AAA so it would help to have something 'extra' on your personal statement eg some really great work experience in pyschology.
    Good luck for your exams! Try not to worry about them too much - it sounds like you have worked really hard.
    Get back in touch, if you have more questions. Also, when you know what you have achieved this year in your AS exams and I might be able to help some more Also going to an open day and meeting the psychology professors can't hurt!
    Laurel
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by MarkLyttle)
    Good Afternoon

I received a conditional offer last week for Classics. I am currently on a gap year having taken my A-Levels last year (AAA). The condition was that I supply scans of my certificates to confirm the results that I said that I had. I emailed the scans to arts-admissions but have not had any reply. I presumed that whenever admissions received the scans that the offer would switch from conditional to unconditional.
    Regards
    Mark
    Hi Mark,
    Yep you are absolutely correct, when we have processed your scanned qulaifications and added them to you application we will change your offer.
    We are really busy at the moment because of the ucas jan 15th deadline so we will get to your email as soon as we can!
    If you want to PM me your email address I can check the inbox to see if we recieved your email.
    Laurel

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    I recently recieved an offer of ABB from the English department of Royal Holloway to study the English course (Q300), for which I am very grateful and pleased! I have booked a visit day for the 22nd of this month, and I was wondering if there is any protocol or structure of the day that should be noted or indeed anything else that I should know. I'm not too sure about the layout of the day itself, and therefore and thusly here I am: if anyone could help me I would be very grateful.
    Thanks! Sarah.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by sarahfelixclarem)
    Hello.
    I recently recieved an offer of ABB from the English department of Royal Holloway to study the English course (Q300), for which I am very grateful and pleased! I have booked a visit day for the 22nd of this month, and I was wondering of there is any protocol or structure of the day that should be noted or indeed anything else that I should know. I'm not too sure about the layout of the day itself, and therefore and thusly here I am: if anyone could help me I would be very grateful.
    Thanks! Sarah.
    Hi Sarah

Congrats on the offer!
    Ok, the layout of the day = Registration starts from 10am, at 11:10 there is a Student Life at Royal Holloway talk, at 11:40 there is a Graduate Employment and Careers talk. In the afternoon the department will take over and run talks/seminars. Campus tours are once an hour (the 1st one at 10am and the last one at 3pm)
    The day gives you a chance to meet your lecturers and find out more about module choices, societies and a chance to meet your potential class mates! You can of course have a look around the campus (which is beautiful!!!...if I do say so myself!) and a chance to see the accomodation.
    I would suggest that you just bring something to write on, incase you want to take any notes
    Is there anything else I can help you with?

Laurel

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sarah

Congrats on the offer!
    Ok, the layout of the day = Registration starts from 10am, at 11:10 there is a Student Life at Royal Holloway talk, at 11:40 there is a Graduate Employment and Careers talk. In the afternoon the department will take over and run talks/seminars. Campus tours are once an hour (the 1st one at 10am and the last one at 3pm)
    The day gives you a chance to meet your lecturers and find out more about module choices, societies and a chance to meet your potential class mates! You can of course have a look around the campus (which is beautiful!!!...if I do say so myself!) and a chance to see the accomodation.
    I would suggest that you just bring something to write on, incase you want to take any notes
    Is there anything else I can help you with?

Laurel
    Thank you very much for your help! ^_^
    Sarah.

ReputationRep:
    I'll do my best to answer any queries regarding higher education
    Laurel
    Do languages account for the same credit as other A-levels to universities, or does it depend on the language?

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Mohid Khan)
    Do languages account for the same credit as other A-levels to universities, or does it depend on the language?

Thanks
    Hi

Can you expand on that a bit? Do you have language qualifications? or do you mean if you can speak a language fluently does that equal the same as an A Level?

Laurel

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Can you expand on that a bit? Do you have language qualifications? or do you mean if you can speak a language fluently does that equal the same as an A Level?

Laurel
    I dont actually have one but alot of my friends are taking one or more Languages at A-Level.

Does their Language A-level account for same credit as a Science or maths A-level?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Mohid Khan)
    I dont actually have one but alot of my friends are taking one or more Languages at A-Level.

Does their Language A-level account for same credit as a Science or maths A-level?
    All A-Levels are worth the same. But..it completely depends on what course you apply for. For example, if you did French and German for A-Level that would be very useful if you wanted to do a degree in languages. But if you wanted to apply for a science degree it might not be as useful as doing chemistry and biology.

ReputationRep:
    All A-Levels are worth the same. But..it completely depends on what course you apply for. For example, if you did French and German for A-Level that would be very useful if you wanted to do a degree in languages. But if you wanted to apply for a science degree it might not be as useful as doing chemistry and biology.
    Thanks ever so much. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi laurel,
    I'm currently an offer holder for the Management and Marketing course and I'm thinking about making Royal Holloway my firm choice. I study 2 BTEC subsidiary Diploma's and 1 A- level. The conditions for my offer are Distinction,Distinction and a B at A-level, however I'm currently predicted Distinction, Merit and a B. Even though I'm working hard to achieve and meet with the requirements, I still just wanted to ask you that if there are any possibilities of me being accepted into this course with my predicted grades of Distinction, Merit and a B.

I have additional qualifications of two AS- levels: C in Media and a B in graphics. Could these be considered if I miss the requirements by one grade??
    Thank you.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by chowdhury95)
    Hi laurel,
    I'm currently an offer holder for the Management and Marketing course and I'm thinking about making Royal Holloway my firm choice. I study 2 BTEC subsidiary Diploma's and 1 A- level. The conditions for my offer are Distinction,Distinction and a B at A-level, however I'm currently predicted Distinction, Merit and a B. Even though I'm working hard to achieve and meet with the requirements, I still just wanted to ask you that if there are any possibilities of me being accepted into this course with my predicted grades of Distinction, Merit and a B.

I have additional qualifications of two AS- levels: C in Media and a B in graphics. Could these be considered if I miss the requirements by one grade??
    Thank you.
    Morning,

Well done on getting an offer from us! It sounds like you are panicking a little bit? We have read your application and the admissions officers have seen potential in you and think you are on target to achieving the grades! If you don't meet the conditions of your offer we would have to assess that situation at the time it occurred...so I can't really say whether they would still take you if you didn't meet the requirements.
    Keep working hard and I'm sure you can meet the requirements!
    Laurel

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 8, 2018
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.