How to share an updatable database online with a friend?

Watch
Damsel in distress
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I created a university database on MS Access to explore all my options and keep everything in one place but it's still not finished and I want to share it with my friend because she hasn't done her university research and it can help her a lot. Since it's incomplete, I can't keep emailing it to her everytime I update it so I figured I could upload it somewhere online where she could access it and keep up with any updates I make and she could make her own as well. How can I do this? Is there a website or something?
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're wanting to do fileshare, Dropbox is really good. You can both make a shared file (Maybe with an invite-only security) and it'll update as quick as you upload
Damsel in distress
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
If you're wanting to do fileshare, Dropbox is really good. You can both make a shared file (Maybe with an invite-only security) and it'll update as quick as you upload
Oh, I didn't know I could do that! Let me check it out, thanks.
Cal97g
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
>not using a mysql database with a mysql server built in
>using horrible proprietary software
>2k13
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Damsel in distress)
Oh, I didn't know I could do that! Let me check it out, thanks.
It's also worth making regular copies of the Database (especially as you make major changes). You might find odd things happen if you both try making changes to the same file at the same time.
Damsel in distress
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cal97g)
>not using a mysql database with a mysql server built in
>using horrible proprietary software
>2k13
I've never heard of mysql.. thanks for the "help".
Damsel in distress
Rep:
?
(Original post by mfaxford)
It's also worth making regular copies of the Database (especially as you make major changes). You might find odd things happen if you both try making changes to the same file at the same time.
Oh okay. Thanks.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh okay. Thanks.
http://www.storminternet.co.uk/hosting_planchooser.asp

Answer no to all of these, except the last one "Do you require a MySQL database?"

It's £35 for a year's hosting and that'll give you exactly what you need.

MySQL is one of several Structured Query Languages that allow you to interact with a database. SQL databases are much more suited to medium to large business needs (compared to Access) and MySQL allow you to create your database and manage it's content.

Might be worth looking in to.
Cal97g
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd suggest just a spreadsheet you can both edit in google docs..
That is horrible and proprietary though, I suppose.
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just stick to google drive or drop box. As soon as you save your work, it will be auto updated in that google/dropbox folder and your friend can immediately access it.
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've never heard of mysql.. thanks for the "help".
MySQL (or any other DB server) is probably overkill for what you want and may require more learning than you want to do (unless you're going into something like Computer Science). That said if you're interested in databases then it could be worth looking into for future.
Damsel in distress
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikeyd85)
http://www.storminternet.co.uk/hosting_planchooser.asp

Answer no to all of these, except the last one "Do you require a MySQL database?"

It's £35 for a year's hosting and that'll give you exactly what you need.

MySQL is one of several Structured Query Languages that allow you to interact with a database. SQL databases are much more suited to medium to large business needs (compared to Access) and MySQL allow you to create your database and manage it's content.

Might be worth looking in to.
(Original post by Cal97g)
I'd suggest just a spreadsheet you can both edit in google docs..
That is horrible and proprietary though, I suppose.
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
Just stick to google drive or drop box. As soon as you save your work, it will be auto updated in that google/dropbox folder and your friend can immediately access it.
MySQL (or any other DB server) is probably overkill for what you want and may require more learning than you want to do (unless you're going into something like Computer Science). That said if you're interested in databases then it could be worth looking into for future.
I checked MySQL out but I find dropbox is just what I needed right now. It's just a silly collection of universities I wanted to share with my friend so MySQL is too pro for that, just like mfaxford said. Dropbox works for me! Thanks for the help guys
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tbh, I only suggested it in the case that this may be true. I agree that it is probably total overkill for what the OP needs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads