The Student Room Group

Should I boycott my lessons because of a teacher?

I'm in year 12 and studying Spanish as one of my AS levels. I'm passionate about languages and I have already done AS French in Year 11.

Anyway, I have 3 teachers for Spanish. Two of them are quite good and I find I have enough notes for them and we get to practise speaking with other people in the class a lot, which helps so much.

However my one teacher, although he is native, really is holding our class back. He pretty much stresses us out by asking us loads of bizarre questions and my class struggle a lot. He doesn't go into the topics much and I find that I don't have enough vocabulary or anything. 3 people have already dropped the class because of this teacher.

My class have complained a lot and he's really upsetting several of my classmates. One girl won't even talk in class anymore. I was thinking about boycotting Spanish with my class and we are going to collectively work together through our notes.

What do you think? Am I being over the top? I have never done anything like this before so I'm a little nervous.
Reply 1
Boycotting lessons could result in you being dropped from the course and withdrawn from exams.

You need to take a mature approach to resolving the problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by serebro
I'm in year 12 and studying Spanish as one of my AS levels. I'm passionate about languages and I have already done AS French in Year 11.

Anyway, I have 3 teachers for Spanish. Two of them are quite good and I find I have enough notes for them and we get to practise speaking with other people in the class a lot, which helps so much.

However my one teacher, although he is native, really is holding our class back. He pretty much stresses us out by asking us loads of bizarre questions and my class struggle a lot. He doesn't go into the topics much and I find that I don't have enough vocabulary or anything. 3 people have already dropped the class because of this teacher.

My class have complained a lot and he's really upsetting several of my classmates. One girl won't even talk in class anymore. I was thinking about boycotting Spanish with my class and we are going to collectively work together through our notes.

What do you think? Am I being over the top? I have never done anything like this before so I'm a little nervous.

I think the first thing you should do is speak to the head of languages at your school. And also your head of 6th form. Get other people in your class to speak to them as well, as they are more likely to see this teacher as an issue if several people go and complain about him. Keep notes of anything that happens in lessons as well, as this will help you remember everything that has happened, especially if you are asked to give examples of things that have gone on. See what they do/say about the situation. If nothing decent gets done about it, then go on to speak to the deputy head teacher, and maybe even the head teacher to get it resolved.
This should all get the issue sorted, and is a more mature way of doing things than boycotting. Acting in a more mature way- they are more likely to listen to you and take you seriously.
Reply 3
Original post by Emma:-)
I think the first thing you should do is speak to the head of languages at your school. And also your head of 6th form. Get other people in your class to speak to them as well, as they are more likely to see this teacher as an issue if several people go and complain about him. Keep notes of anything that happens in lessons as well, as this will help you remember everything that has happened, especially if you are asked to give examples of things that have gone on. See what they do/say about the situation. If nothing decent gets done about it, then go on to speak to the deputy head teacher, and maybe even the head teacher to get it resolved.
This should all get the issue sorted, and is a more mature way of doing things than boycotting. Acting in a more mature way- they are more likely to listen to you and take you seriously.

Thank you. I know boycotting sounded immature but I meant as in getting the work done out of class, since a lot of people in my class are far behind and I have to help them, and I'm not that good anyway.

My class have already spoken to the head of department but nothing has come of it yet. My Spanish teacher is a nice (ish) man but he shouldn't be a teacher, and although he's native, he's nowhere as near as good as the other teachers. I don't want to a guinea pig either!

I think you're right and we shall go and see head of sixth form soon. We want to be mature about it, but the problem is that teachers tend to stick up for each other and don't always listen to the students.
Original post by serebro
Thank you. I know boycotting sounded immature but I meant as in getting the work done out of class, since a lot of people in my class are far behind and I have to help them, and I'm not that good anyway.

My class have already spoken to the head of department but nothing has come of it yet. My Spanish teacher is a nice (ish) man but he shouldn't be a teacher, and although he's native, he's nowhere as near as good as the other teachers. I don't want to a guinea pig either!

I think you're right and we shall go and see head of sixth form soon. We want to be mature about it, but the problem is that teachers tend to stick up for each other and don't always listen to the students.

Get others to speak to the head of department, head of 6th form etc as well (if they havent already). It will look as if there is more of a problem if several people speak to them, rather than if one person speaks to them. If only you speak to them, they could just think its just you or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending