The Student Room Group

Barely ANY GCSE's, top A-Level grades and great PS, will I get into my Uni's?

So im about to send off my UCAS, got some last minute doubts and nerves as I have a some what unique situation. In high school, I was so ignorant and narrow minded in terms of career paths and my future, I was confident in going to college to earn my Plumbing and Heating qualifications and then progressing to Gas engineering where the money is at. I attented part-time college so only went to school twice a week thus only taking compulsory GCSE's and a tonne of BTEC's. When I left school, I got my City and Guilds Level 2 & 3, however decided its not what I wanted to do as I wanted to pursue a career exercising my artistic talent.

I enrolled on a Film and TV production course which required 5 A-C grades which I did not have, my writing prowess and determination got me on the course along with my BTEC's. My predicted grades are DDM (I should get DDD but my teacher said it looks better to "overachieve") equivalent to straight A's. My Teachers said my personal statement is really really good, due to my writing skills (ive wrote since a child) so im hoping its looked at, the problem is my lack of GCSE's so im worried it may not get read. Im fairly certain if it gets read, I should be offered a place in all my choices. Im currently studying for a Functional Skills Level 2 in Maths as I failed in school, I have a Level 1 already.

Overall, can you imagine any issues arising? honestly it is ridiculous that I could get on a college course for Uni hopefuls, requiring 5 A-C grades and getting on without them, achieving top grades and then being rejected by Uni's because of my past. My PS is a killer, I hope it gets read :frown:
Reply 1
It depends on the uni and the course. I've got an offer from a Russell Group Uni with awful GCSE's because the course doesn't require GCSE's, we can't help you unless you tell us what the entry requirements are.
Reply 2
Original post by PC2852
It depends on the uni and the course. I've got an offer from a Russell Group Uni with awful GCSE's because the course doesn't require GCSE's, we can't help you unless you tell us what the entry requirements are.

Hi, its Bournemouth Uni for TV production.

Entry requirements:
300 to 320 tariff points from 3 A-levels, including 120 points from one specified A-level, or equivalent qualifications. BTEC Extended Diploma: DDM

Required GCSEs:

This course requires a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades A* to C, including Maths and English

So it looks like I am on course to achieve the entry requirements, but the required GCSE's im unsure about, I have a B in English, if I get my Level 2 Functional Skills Math that will be a C. I have a tonne of BTEC's and im sure they count as "equivalent" right? IDK. What do you think then?
Reply 3
Hello. I have a friend on Tv production and i remember only got in once he had achieved minimum C in maths and English. As long as you get C for your maths then you shouldn't have a problem getting in.

Of course that means you also need your grades to be AAB or DDM if its BTEC. Best of luck im sure you will achieve it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending