ebay postage is this too much? Watch

goodLife
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi, someone has bought 2 books off me on ebay for £22 but the postage altogether comes to £12.50. They are big heavy text books but they might think that this is ridiculous. Ive always lost money on postage before but what do you think?
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
any way of proving to your customers that your postage cost is actually going to be that much? if so you could scan the proof and put it up with your ebay item, and make them aware of the costs
Cunning Linguist
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
as if! it's not ridiculous at all!
postage depends on weight - tell them that!

edit - wait a sec, u said "they have bought.." - does this mean the auction has ended? (or buy it now?). Did u not state postage price on the item page?
(or did you mean it's costing you more than what you stated on the item page?)
If the latter is true, not much you can do about it lol!
pete42
Report 12 years ago
i always put my postage price a bit higher than it will actually be, as you get a bit more money then
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wesetters)
The postage is a way to avoid auction costs. Ebay don't take a cut of postage, so they keep the selling price down and the postage high.
:ditto:

Sometimes for example you'll see a laptop going for 1p, but the postage is like £1000. I think these get removed because you don't really see many of them these days.
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have bought one big heavy text book on it's own with a postage of £7 before so I would have thought that 12.50 was reasonable if you are unsure go into a post office and ask them how much it would cost
Faraday
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh the postage price is a time rediculous, its just another money making ploy, so it is important to wait till a reasonable bargain appears where the postage is reasonable. usuallly if the items total cost (incl pp) is lower than I can buy it in the shops, I just buy it otherwise I don't take a second look.
darryl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In eBay rules it states that the postage cost also includes handling, so its the postage, plus whatever the seller feels is a reasonable chareg for handling and packing.

If you dont like the cost, you dont have to buy it

But as others have said, higher postage prices can be used to avoid seller fees.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As you can see from the Royal Mail site, £12.50 will post 20kg of books. Even allowing a bit for packaging etc, that is ridiculous.
Kingspharm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Might want to add the extra compensation cover if they're expensive books and you're going to send them by Standard Parcels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (48)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (94)
58.02%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (20)
12.35%

Watched Threads