The Student Room Group

Is Decision Maths helpful for an Economics degree?

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance for your time, effort and intelligence.

Now, I am an upper-sixth student who wants to study pure Economics at university. My current A2 subjects are Economics, Maths and Further Maths (all by Edexcel). I love Economics much more than Maths, and I want to make sure that the maths I do today is going to be helpful in the future.

Obviously, all maths students have to take C1234, I have also done M1, S1, together making up the A-Level (single) Maths. For F.M, I will definitely do FP1, FP2 and S2.

This means I have 3 more units to choose and study, the possibilities are M2, S3, D1 and D2. M2 is taught at our school, and for the other 3 it will be down to self-studying. And I consider D1 because I find pure maths and mechanics difficult.

Now Questions:

Are D1 and D2 significantly/relatively easier than the others? Is it as easy if I self-study?

Is Edexcel D2 more related to Economics than D1 because it has Game Theories?

Are you able to do D2 without having studied D1?

If yes, would it be wise for me to do so?

It is also likely that I will take M2, S3 and one decision maths unit, which one should it be?

What do you think is the ideal combination in my case?
(P.S. aiming for top universities like Baths and UCL)

I will be glad if you answer some of my questions, much appreciated !

Jeff
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by JeffTheMan
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance for your time, effort and intelligence.

Now, I am an upper-sixth student who wants to study pure Economics at university. My current A2 subjects are Economics, Maths and Further Maths (all by Edexcel). I love Economics much more than Maths, and I want to make sure that the maths I do today is going to be helpful in the future.

Obviously, all maths students have to take C1234, I have also done M1, S1, together making up the A-Level (single) Maths. For F.M, I will definitely do FP1, FP2 and S2.

This means I have 3 more units to choose and study, the possibilities are M2, S3, D1 and D2. M2 is taught at our school, and for the other 3 it will be down to self-studying. And I consider D1 because I find pure maths and mechanics difficult.

Now Questions:

Are D1 and D2 significantly/relatively easier than the others? Is it as easy if I self-study?

Is Edexcel D2 more related to Economics than D1 because it has Game Theories?

Are you able to do D2 without having studied D1?

If yes, would it be wise for me to do so?

It is also likely that I will take M2, S3 and one decision maths unit, which one should it be?

What do you think is the ideal combination in my case?
(P.S. aiming for top universities like Baths and UCL)

I will be glad if you answer some of my questions, much appreciated !

Jeff

Im a final year student in pure economics, my advice is take all the stats modules you can. they will be the most helpful at degree level economics along side pure algebra

Quick Reply

Latest