borysek01
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Doing 4 difficult ASs, all exams are in May and June time. When is the optimal time to start revision, and how much revision usually leads to success?

I find the jump from GCSE quite high, that's why I want to ask.
Nat_LPS
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by borysek01)
Doing 4 difficult ASs, all exams are in May and June time. When is the optimal time to start revision, and how much revision usually leads to success?

I find the jump from GCSE quite high, that's why I want to ask.
Hey, i take AS maths further maths phys and chem, finding all maths pretty hard so i've kept revising them anyway whenever we finished a topic, it's a good idea to practice questions regularly anyway, i find. Are they giving u mocks before may and june? Our teachers basically hated the idea of no jan exams because they knew we wouldn't be revising til too late , whereas the years before had to keep up with revision as soon as starting really. I think that's useful, to keep on top of things-probably much easier ready for may june to find anything you're stuck on and basically get used to answering exam style qs coz examiners are fussy as hell -.-
If you have mocks before or after christmas it'll be good to revise for them, if not i would make sure you're okay with past topics soon, just so you don't forget completely. I'd keep reviewing what you're doing now as well.
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I was very much a ''wait until Easter and then cram'' type of person . Worked out alright for me, but not something I would recommend if you get nervous easily :erm: . You can always start doing 30 minutes a day right now, just going back over past lessons. Every little will definitely help when the time comes!
Mitzybat
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think it's always best to start revising as soon as possible... but then, I never do that so... I'm not finding AS hard at all (yet!) but I've been trying to revise every time we finish a topic and I've done some past papers etc
sliceofthepi
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Personally, I found that Easter was a tad too late, but others said that February half term was too early. My advice would be revise fully for your (I'm assuming January) unit 1 mocks and treat them like the actual exam (aiming for 100% in past papers etc). Yes, you want some papers left for revision later in the year, but don't be so afraid that you only do 3 papers - AS is, unfortunately, all about the mark schemes. Then, once your unit 2 lessons are fully underway, start going over examination style questions and exercises in your book at around the beginning of March, building this up to papers in early April. I'm yet to see a person who did all the questions in the textbook and didn't get an A in the exam.

Best of luck! :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.74%
Okay (110)
28.95%
A bit lacking (142)
37.37%
Not good at all (91)
23.95%

Watched Threads