Turn on thread page Beta

Country roads watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    grrrrrr i got my test coming up end of this week..and i hateeeee country roads...does any1 have any good tips on how to handle country roads??

And also any tips for reverse around the corner?
    Would appreciate cheers

ReputationRep:
    Most country roads around where I live are national speed limit but 50 is normally sufficiant. But it always depends on the weather conditions and amount of other road users. Always look out for hidden turnings and horse riders, also country roads tend not to be that wide so watch out for other cars.
    As for the reverse round the corner, use loads of observation. If you start to mess it up just stop for a second and compose yourself. I found that really helpful.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mc_hamster..yeahh so u think 50mph is a sufficient enough speed for country roads...i dont want the examiner to think im too slow..but the roads are so damn bendy and narrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aSian_cUtY)
    Thanks mc_hamster..yeahh so u think 50mph is a sufficient enough speed for country roads...i dont want the examiner to think im too slow..but the roads are so damn bendy and narrow!
    Yeah I agree, I'm not a big fan either. Good luck for the test!

ReputationRep:
    Country roads: Leave your headlights on at all times; I find it makes the car much more imposing and people are more likely to give way to you/pass you with more care in my experience....

ReputationRep:
    i love a big country road that i go on, on the way home from work.... its always empty in the evenings becuase the police hq is just off it.... but you never see them!!

this is where i use the speed and grip on the roads!! love it!!

oh yeah i heard you will be marked down if you were less than 10% of the limit!!! (oppisite to speeding) but i dont know if they still do that

ReputationRep:
    Your idea of a country road seems to be different to mine. I consider a country road to be a single lane road, not just a normal road in the country.

But just be observant, make it blatant but not to make you look like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Most country roads round here are national speed limit (60 mph). However, that is just because they fit the criteria for national speed limit; it's not actually safe to do 60 mph on them....sometimes 30 mph is the top. So, do whatever speed you feel safe doing - the examiner would prefer you to go slowly and safely - they want to live remember!

ReputationRep:
    Can I just check, what gear should you be in if you're approaching an apex bend on a country road? (I think that's what they're called...the really sharp ones with black and white arrow-y things). I remember being taught about it, but it's been so long since I've actually had to drive on a country road now that I've completely forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    I had my test yesterday, almost all of it was on country roads and i did not go much over 40mph, i'd say only go 50ish if you can see that there is something getting closer to you from behind. Mainly though, it is to go at what speed that you think is safe. Good Luck (passed by the way)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your advice...yeah i think coz there was a national speed limit sign theres pressure to go at that speed...but i think il keep it 40-50 and hope for the besT!!!

ReputationRep:
    I was lucky with my instructor; ex army and police driver. Did the pass plus with him and had some fantastic times on the country lanes. They are by far my favourite place to drive.

He did tell me that he has seen people fail for 'not making progress' on country lanes, eg not doing at least 55 if it is perfectly safe to do so.

The idea of taking part of the test on on country lanes is to prove to the examiner that you can drive at speed safely. If you have to opportunity to do this then by all means do it. However if it isn't, pick a safe speed and go with it.

I wouldn't think that leaving your lights on would impress the examiner that much either as there isn't any need for them.

Remember, it is important to make a good first impression with your examiner. Impress them in the first 5 minutes and providing you don't make any critical errors you will probably be fine. If the examiner feels at ease they are less likely to be really pedantic.

Good luck

Matt

ReputationRep:
    i love country roads, although on my test i went on one, and i got stuck behind this van, he was going quite slow (40 in a 60), but i daren't overtake as i wasn't to confident doing so, and i got a minor for that.

also, with reversing round a corner, you just have to keep practising, that's the only way you're going to get better. i wasn't good with them, and i spent all the day before my test practising in my dads car, and when it came to the test, i didn't actually get it as one of my 3 manouvers, lol

ReputationRep:
    They're main roads, a country road = a lane, where I do max 40 unless it's straight.............Country 'roads' (main roads) I do whatever on, I know them all really well anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_Muck)
    They're main roads, a country road = a lane, where I do max 40 unless it's straight.............Country 'roads' (main roads) I do whatever on, I know them all really well anyway.
    :eek: You know all the roads? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pete42)
    i love country roads, although on my test i went on one, and i got stuck behind this van, he was going quite slow (40 in a 60), but i daren't overtake as i wasn't to confident doing so, and i got a minor for that.

also, with reversing round a corner, you just have to keep practising, that's the only way you're going to get better. i wasn't good with them, and i spent all the day before my test practising in my dads car, and when it came to the test, i didn't actually get it as one of my 3 manouvers, lol
    Thanks for the advice pete..well ive got ma last lesson tonight and then tomoz is the make or break it day!! ive told my instructor that i need practise on these 2 things so hopefully will rake up the time on country roads etc!! Then it's all down to praying and luck tomoz

ReputationRep:
    Good luck - just relax and keep your eyes open!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    :eek: You know all the roads? :eek:
    :p:

Around here, there aren't that many anyway! :p:

ReputationRep:
    You're a Devonian girl right? Where about in Devon do you live? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Northern pointy bit Where are you!?

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.