The Student Room Group

Bring back negging!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AristoBrat!
I be missing them reds. But PRSOM makes things both convenient and irritating. So meh

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG your so cute, I love feminits
Reply 21
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Honestly, I'd prefer if we brought back the very old system where you could leave a private message explaining WHY you gave someone pos or neg rep and it was up to you if you wanted to leave your name or not. At least then people could be a little constructive with their negs... and it stopped people from just randomly clicking pos/neg rep in a page.

But I agree, this is the worst system you could possibly ask for. You may as well have no rep at all if you're only going to have positive rep.

That seems like a far better system. I miss negs :cry2:
Original post by JC.
It's seemed to make folk speak their minds a little more for not having negs.
Although, it was useful... you automatically knew when someone had stacks of red gems they were either an idiot or a nut job from the religion forums and could just skip reading their posts.
On that basis I vote "yes".

Everyone has the right to voice their opinion whether you agree with them or not. By removing negs, you're allowing them to voice their opinion without being discriminated/intimidated. On that basis, I vote 'No'
Just remove the reputation system based on likes and add the reputation based on time here. The longer the poster has been here, the more reputation they have. We should be respecting long time posters who have contributed over months and years. Trolls will be banned and have their accounts set back to 20 reputation points.

The current system just increases reputation mostly on how funny a poster is. Its a waste of time. Every thread is just full of somebody trying to get a quick joke in to reap the positive rep for it.

If you agree with someone or disagree then quote them and debate it like an adult.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Oliver Queen
Just remove the reputation system based on likes and add the reputation based on time here. The longer the poster has been here, the more reputation they have. We should be respecting long time posters who have contributed over months and years. Trolls will be banned and have their accounts set back to 20 reputation points.

The current system just increases reputation mostly on how funny a poster is. Its a waste of time. Every thread is just full of somebody trying to get a quick joke in to reap the positive rep for it.

If you agree with someone or disagree then quote them and debate it like an adult.

Hmm I quite like your idea, but will TSR?
Get rid of jokes? Come on man! Where is your sense of humour?
Reply 25
Original post by kidomo
Everyone has the right to voice their opinion whether you agree with them or not. By removing negs, you're allowing them to voice their opinion without being discriminated/intimidated. On that basis, I vote 'No'

Sod that. I just want to know who the dickheads are so I can avoid wasting time reading their b/s!
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Then people could report them and the offenders get warnings/bans etc

It would be such an inconvenience for mods.

They already have to moderate threads, why increase their workload? It's more convenient if they don't allow personal messages like that.
Reply 27
Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯
It would be such an inconvenience for mods.

They already have to moderate threads, why increase their workload? It's more convenient if they don't allow personal messages like that.

What about a selection of set answers like "this was nonconstructive" etc?
Original post by + polarity -
I got this in a personal rating today
have a lot of respect for you coming out as GAY

nothing has changed

Wow. Congrats brah. I can't say I'm surprised :smile:
What about a selection of set answers like "this was nonconstructive" etc?

Come on man. You know as well as I do that it would get out of control and cause the mods to be overwhelmed with complaints about rude messages left with reps.
Reply 30
Come on man. You know as well as I do that it would get out of control and cause the mods to be overwhelmed with complaints about rude messages left with reps.

No. What I mean is that rather than personalised messages you could neg with one of a selection of set reasons like "inaccurate"etc
Wow. Congrats brah. I can't say I'm surprised :smile:

but I didn't

I'm not

:colonhash:
No. What I mean is that rather than personalised messages you could neg with one of a selection of set reasons like "inaccurate"etc

Good idea.
You can't always give positive feedback because that would be seen as off topic discussion :pierre:

I see. Perhaps that could work, it makes sense even.

You might wanna make a new thread suggesting this.
Original post by + polarity -
but I didn't

I'm not

Y would they lie?

Can you be sure about that statement?

Reply 35
¯\(°_o)/¯
x

Kezza Wilson
x

Yep. You could have a pie chart of all the positive and negative reps and the majority reason for each post to really understand the reason people voted up or down too :smile: Rep up for humour from 3 people and down for relevance from another 4 people, for example.

EDIT: you could also keep the rep system similar to how it is now... your individual rep can have different 'traits' eg cambio whechel's primary trait would be humour so newbies know that he's just messing around and a troll would have a bad rep for that reason so people know that too...
TenOfThem and Helenia would both have 'helpful' or whatever you want to call it... the point is that you would be aable to establish on first glance whether you want to trust an answer and then when time has passed and people have seen the post others can judge what people on tsr think by looking at that posts rep breakdown... why exactly people liked/disliked the post etc.

People will high Helpful rep would have higher rep power when chosing 'helpful' as their reason for repping up a post meaning that the poster would get more reward for his useful answer.

I think that's a fair system.
(edited 10 years ago)
Y would they lie?

Can you be sure about that statement?

I have no idea

yes
Original post by kidomo
Hmm I quite like your idea, but will TSR?
Get rid of jokes? Come on man! Where is your sense of humour?

Im all for jokes to be honest. What Im saying is that everyone rushes to tell jokes to earn reputation. If someone wants to commend somebody on a brilliant joke then they can either quote it or post on their profile a visitor message.
Reply 38
Nah, negging causes many to act childish. Amount of times children have threatened to "neg me when the system comes back".

I say get rid of the rep system all together. People put too much value in pixels, and for some it seems to make or break them.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
What? You mean TSR should start to resemble real life a little more, where criticism and praise are received?

Nah. We'll just wrap the members in cotton wool.

Haha yes :cool:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending