The Student Room Group

Keele Hull and Aber Which University Is Better For Studying Accounting and Marketing?

I've been told to change one of my options..but i'm not sure which i should choose from Keele, Hull and Aberystwyth...which ones have better study, nightlife, accommodation, leisure...and on heaponline why are their entry requirement grades different from the ones on their actual websites...they're either way higher or lower..which is very confusing :'/
Original post by aceySnicks_x
I've been told to change one of my options..but i'm not sure which i should choose from Keele, Hull and Aberystwyth...which ones have better study, nightlife, accommodation, leisure...and on heaponline why are their entry requirement grades different from the ones on their actual websites...they're either way higher or lower..which is very confusing :'/

Told by whom? And why?

As for heaponline, I think you can work on the assumption that the official websites are correct.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Told by whom? And why?

As for heaponline, I think you can work on the assumption that the official websites are correct.

My UCAS application tutor...because all the entry requirement grades of the unis I've chosen are basically identical 300 points BBB/ABC..she said i needed a safe option...but to only change one of those 3...and i'm not sure which :'/...and thank you for clarifying i thought so to...she gave me the website
(edited 10 years ago)
The person that handles the UCAS applications...because all the entry requirement grades of the unis I've chosen are basically identical 300 points BBB/ABC..she said i needed a safe option...but to only change one of those 3...and i'm not sure which :'/...and thank you for clarifying i thought so to...she gave me the website

So advised rather than ordered. What are the grades required for all 5 of your choices, your AS results and your predicted grades?
Reply 4
So advised rather than ordered. What are the grades required for all 5 of your choices, your AS results and your predicted grades?

Haha..it was ordered...and the grades for my 5 choices were 4 300 points equivalent to BBB/ABC and 1 260-300 equivalent to BCC-BBB...my AS were BCD but i'm planning on resitting...and my predicted grades were that...other people i've asked have been predicted at least one grade higher v.v
I can see why she wants you to put in one lower choice, but she CANNOT order you to change your mind. Although it is probably good strategy, if you simply don't want to go to Hull, Keele or Aberystwyth then leave you choices as they are and accept the risk of not getting in.
Reply 6
I can see why she wants you to put in one lower choice, but she CANNOT order you to change your mind. Although it is probably good strategy, if you simply don't want to go to Hull, Keele or Aberystwyth then leave you choices as they are and accept the risk of not getting in.

:Lol...i i'd rather have choices than none...which is why even though i want to got to all 3 i have to change one of them to increase my choices...however, i contacted Aberystwyth and they replied back saying that they don't rule people out initially after seeing their predicted grades..they consider other parts of the application...this is why i'm considering leaving Aberystwyth as it is..but don't all universities do that?..what's your opinion about the 3 universities?
:Lol...i i'd rather have choices than none...which is why even though i want to got to all 3 i have to change one of them to increase my choices...however, i contacted Aberystwyth and they replied back saying that they don't rule people out initially after seeing their predicted grades..they consider other parts of the application...this is why i'm considering leaving Aberystwyth as it is..but don't all universities do that?..what's your opinion about the 3 universities?

OK, but remember that the choices (and consequences) are yours to make - your school can only advise.

I have no opinion on those three apart from the fact that if I saw a CV from a graduate of any of them I would mentally register the word 'decent'.

I understand that some unis use a very simple assessment of 'standard' candidates (straight out of school, no contextual flags etc) based on AS and predicted grades. Some don't even look at the PS of such students.

BTW one tactic you could use is to submit your application with only 4 uni choices and then add your fifth later - though before the January 15th deadline.
Reply 8
OK, but remember that the choices (and consequences) are yours to make - your school can only advise.

I have no opinion on those three apart from the fact that if I saw a CV from a graduate of any of them I would mentally register the word 'decent'.

I understand that some unis use a very simple assessment of 'standard' candidates (straight out of school, no contextual flags etc) based on AS and predicted grades. Some don't even look at the PS of such students.

BTW one tactic you could use is to submit your application with only 4 uni choices and then add your fifth later - though before the January 15th deadline.

Thanks for your help...i just got a reply from UEA - ABB and they also said the personal statement is also one of the key things they consider..this was initially my first choice before i got my predicted grades...so would adding them be over-reaching...considering I'm not sure if i can achieve a B in English Literature...

I forgot to add Keele is just ABC...no BBB about it...and i can probably achieve a C in Eng Lit...and the courses these universities have in common are Accounting and Marketing...Aberystwyth is Accounting and Finance with Marketing...which seems the best option..as some people on here said Accounting and Marketing may seem too broad to employers..so i think Aberystwyth will stay..though i wish Keele and Hull replied back so it'll make it easier to make the desicion :'/

Anyway, i found a safer option Robert Gordon - BCC...but one of my friends achieved a BCD at A2...and Oxford Brookes took him in even though they wanted a BBB...and won't an adjustment be better than applying only to 4 first then 1 later...won't you have to pay again?
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for your help...i just got a reply from UEA - ABB and they also said the personal statement is also one of the key things they consider..this was initially my first choice before i got my predicted grades...so would adding them be over-reaching...considering I'm not sure if i can achieve a B in English Literature...

I forgot to add Keele is just ABC...no BBB about it...and i can probably achieve a C in Eng Lit...and the courses these universities have in common are Accounting and Marketing...Aberystwyth is Accounting and Finance with Marketing...which seems the best option..as some people on here said Accounting and Marketing may seem too broad to employers..so i think Aberystwyth will stay..though i wish Keele and Hull replied back so it'll make it easier to make the desicion :'/

Anyway, i found a safer option Robert Gordon - BCC...but one of my friends achieved a BCD at A2...and Oxford Brookes took him in even though they wanted a BBB

As you say, ABB is a reach from BCD. How close were you to the next grade up at AS? And when you say you are 'planning' to retake, is that definite or not?

Re your friend... Universities would love for ALL their incoming students to achieve the grades they think are necessary to study the course successfully. However, in the real world that doesn't happen and universities therefore often take applicants who fall short. I think there is a definite 'better the devil you know' approach on results day, with universities taking applicants who were a grade or two short rather than trying to fill their courses through clearing.
Reply 10
As you say, ABB is a reach from BCD. How close were you to the next grade up at AS? And when you say you are 'planning' to retake, is that definite or not?

Re your friend... Universities would love for ALL their incoming students to achieve the grades they think are necessary to study the course successfully. However, in the real world that doesn't happen and universities therefore often take applicants who fall short. I think there is a definite 'better the devil you know' approach on results day, with universities taking applicants who were a grade or two short rather than trying to fill their courses through clearing.

In Biology...i got all B's in all 3 units...1: 7 UMS from an A..2: 2 UMS from an A...3: 3 UMS from an A..Economics - C = 1: 8 UMS from a B 2: 2 UMS from a C...English Literature - D : 2 units but 11 UMS altogether from a C..forgot how may for each though...so i'm was more or less closer to achieving ABC...so don't know why i wasn't predicted that v.v..i'm resiting unit 1 of Biology..but is there point in resiting unit 2?...i'm resiting the rest too...hey are you in uni or sixthform :Lol..

i just checked the entry requirement grade for Biomedicine which was the course my friend did..it was BBC not BBB...though they could have changed it...anyway hopefully i fall into that category to if i don't make the required grades...but God forbid me not making the grades
In Biology...i got all B's in all 3 units...1: 7 UMS from an A..2: 2 UMS from an A...3: 3 UMS from an A..Economics - C = 1: 8 UMS from a B 2: 2 UMS from a C...English Literature - D : 2 units but 11 UMS altogether from a C..forgot how may for each though...so i'm was more or less closer to achieving ABC...so don't know why i wasn't predicted that v.v..i'm resiting unit 1 of Biology..but is there point in resiting unit 2?...i'm resiting the rest too...hey are you in uni or sixthform :Lol..

i just checked the entry requirement grade for Biomedicine which was the course my friend did..it was BBC not BBB...though they could have changed it...anyway hopefully i fall into that category to if i don't make the required grades...but God forbid me not making the grades

Well, a balanced approach with 1 or 2 above your predictions and 1 or 2 below like your teacher suggests is sensible, but always remember it's YOUR choice and YOUR money!

No, I am well past either school or uni!

Keep your head down and work very hard! :smile:
Reply 12
Haha..it wasn't really my choice..if i hadn't changed it she won't have continued with my application :Lol..she's the one who sends it through...anyway now i can rest after all the stress...hopefully i get all 5 offers though..:Lol how old are you? and I will :'O!...i must :'L...'parents' won't let me stay at home for another year..don't want to stay anyway
Haha..it wasn't really my choice..if i hadn't changed it she won't have continued with my application :Lol..she's the one who sends it through...anyway now i can rest after all the stress...hopefully i get all 5 offers though..:Lol how old are you? and I will :'O!...i must :'L...'parents' won't let me stay at home for another year..don't want to stay anyway

What kind of school do you go to?!?!?

If you want to follow her advice (which is essentially sound) then by all means do so, but if she threatens not to send your application then get your parents involved. It is her job to assist your application, not to refuse to process it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending