The Student Room Group

Can I still do postgraduate studies?

Basically, in my second year, I had an overall 53% mark which I'm not happy about what-so-ever.

I really want to do postgraduate, and genuinely interested in research. However, for my first essay this year I have 61%. And I'm starting to be scared whether my 2:1 this year will cancel out the 2:2 for last year.

Do some universities consider just the 2:1 for final year, and let you off for the 2:2 last year. Or do they focus on the overall balance between both years? I

I'm partly heart-broken right now, but still feel as determined as ever (strangely enough).

That being said though, I even spoke with the supervisor I want to do my postgraduate research with, and he said he would be happy to supervise me, and said I can even come after I graduate to work things out. Could this suggest a chance of me being accepted? Or is it not up to the supervisor to decide on whether I can do postgraduate studies at the university?

Thanks in advance,

Ella
Reply 1
Hi there I am a graduate with a 2.2 in sociology I was 1% of a 2.1 I also am aiming for a career in research and when I got my final grade I was crushed and considered the appeal but my supervisor explained they balance the grade and because my second year was mostly 55% it pulled my third year mark down. Most research councils want a good 2.1 for 1+3 PhD pathway because they provide the funding.

Having worried for ages I applied for taught masters degrees because I am going to need one to back my grade up I have been offered a place at Leeds to do an MA in social research they normally take 2.1 or narrow misses ( I was a narrow miss ) and an MA in sociology at NTU but of course I want the research one at Leeds because it is ESRC recognized and will make me eligible for a +3 pathway PhD.

Work as hard as you can in Third year pull the mark up and you will be fine just be prepared to look around and see what you can get with whatever grade you get.
Reply 2
The focus of postgrad application (at least in my experience) is your final grade. No account is taken of the grade which could result from the second and third years separately. My Masters uni didn't even see those marks until they required me to produce my full transcript, which was a formality during the enrolment process.

If your final overall grade is a 2:2, you might also consider going the PGDip route, which is the taught element of a taught Masters, minus the dissertation. Some unis will allow you to enrol on a PGDip and progress to the dissertation if coursework marks are good. If you pass the dissertation, you would graduate with a full Masters. So even with a 2:2, you might still have postgrad options. I'm not sure how common this path is in the wider world, but two of my former undergrad colleagues with a 2:2 went this route, and graduated with a Masters.

Hopefully you can use your third year to pull up your overall mark. You have a very supportive potential postgrad supervisor, which is always a useful situation. Your application will be reviewed by a panel from your prospective faculty, so your supervisor wouldn't make the acceptance decision. However, their support will certainly add weight and if they have influence with the right people - or are even a member of the panel - this will be very helpful to you.

If funding is an issue, you also need to keep an eye on that. Postgrad funding is difficult to find and very competitive, although if you're n the STEM side, you'll be in a better position than the majority of Humanities applicants. Certainly having a 2:1 would improve your chances of winning funding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending