Smart Work Clothes for Petite Girls Watch

Renegade Dagger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,
I'm starting a new job, and the dress code is smart (i.e. suits) and I'm struggling to find anything that fits. I'm about 5ft and a size 4. For some reason, the size 6s in shops that do fairly nice smart clothes like Mango, French Connection, Hobbs NW3 and Warehouse seem to be quite generous and are swamping me under the arms and on the waist.

I normally buy stuff from places like Miss Selfridge, Topshop and Asos, but on the whole, they seem to do slightly less formal stuff, and sometimes the cheapness of the material is a bit obvious, and that's something I'm definitely trying to avoid.

Getting a few things taken in by the tailor is okay, but I just don't want to do it for every garment.

Any ideas?
The only thing I've really succeeded in is buying a few blouses (which are all really long on me) so would need high waisted trousers/skirts to tuck them into.
Especially suit jackets, which seems to be near impossible to get when you have a small frame!
SoftPunch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go to the kids' section in shops.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think New Look does a petite range, have you had a look there? Next also do it but I don't think they're much cheaper. Then again I do't know your budget!
Renegade Dagger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
I think New Look does a petite range, have you had a look there? Next also do it but I don't think they're much cheaper. Then again I do't know your budget!
Ah yeah, forgot about Next - I should take a look. Thanks!

Hmm, well I'd like to get a couple of high quality suits, and I'd be willing to pay quite a lot for them, then just get everything else more on the cheap side.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Renegade Dagger)
Ah yeah, forgot about Next - I should take a look. Thanks!

Hmm, well I'd like to get a couple of high quality suits, and I'd be willing to pay quite a lot for them, then just get everything else more on the cheap side.
If I find any more shops that do petite workwear I'll let you know, my girlfriend is 5ft 1.5 so I'm aware of the trouble!

Good luck with your new job
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SoftPunch)
Go to the kids' section in shops.

I second this. My 26 year old sister is around 4'9 and a size 6/8 and when she needs smart/formalish looking clothes she isn't one to shy away from the kid's section at places like M&S.
sociopath
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just go bespoke?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.91%
No I am happy with my course choice (390)
56.85%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.14%

Watched Threads