Concerned about my GCSE grades. Are they good enough?

Watch
cherrypiez
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
if I get 5 A*s and 5 A's at GCSE, and I also get 1 D grade, will this lower my chances of getting into a good university massively as they might see this as me not focusing on all my subjects or not being able to manage my time on revision and learning well even though I get A's and A*s in all my other subjects?
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cherrypiez)
if I get 5 A*s and 5 A's at GCSE, and I also get 1 D grade, will this lower my chances of getting into a good university massively as they might see this as me not focusing on all my subjects or not being able to manage my time on revision and learning well even though I get A's and A*s in all my other subjects?
Of course not they would be amazing grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Herrington_x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Those grades are amazing, stop worrying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
cherrypiez
Rep:
?
Thanks but the D grade would be a huge difference from the other A* grades so won't the mid-top universities think that I can't perform well in everything I do or can't manage my time properly or don't put 100% effort into everything I do? Also don't they compare all applicants' grades?
Laurakat1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks but the D grade would be a huge difference from the other A* grades so won't the mid-top universities think that I can't perform well in everything I do or can't manage my time properly or don't put 100% effort into everything I do? Also don't they compare all applicants' grades?
In university you are only study one subject. They'll probably understand because getting good grades in like 10 subjects is very hard! Just work extremely hard for A levels and you should be good
Sparta_Kane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be fair, part of it also depends on what you get the D grade in. If it's something completely unrelated to what you want to study at university you should be totally fine. I've spoken to some universities about GCSEs and the respones I've had are either they only care about the subjects that are related to your course or they only consider your top 8 grades achieved so I wouldn't worry.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They really won't care about the D grade, unless it's in English or Maths.
Richycush
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick and maybe UCL and Saint Andrews look at GCSE's for your average degree subject. Unless your applying for medicine, dentistry, veterinary, or other really competitive courses, where GCSE's are important. Most Russell group don't really bother
JacobMcLaughlin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It really shouldn't matter. The only way it will is if it's in an important subject, or if it is in a subject that you want to go on to do for A Level.
DiamondsForever
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They're excellent GCSE grades, stop worrying! What is the grade D for?
iano101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As long as the D isn't in Eng Lang, Maths or the subject your taking to A level there is no problem at all!
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got an E in the AS I dropped and have 4 offers as of yet a D at GCSE won't matter unless it's in something like Maths/English Language!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Herrington_x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Chill out! One D grade isn't going to matter against those other good grades. GCSE's aren't that important to universities really anyway. As others have said as long as it is not in a subject related to what you want to study at university, or in English or Maths, then you have nothing to worry about..

Posted from TSR Mobile
cherrypiez
Rep:
?
Guys thank you so much for the info!!!!! OK I need to stop worrying now!! The D grade is for art, which I'm definitely not going to do at university so it should really be fine!! Thanks a lot again!!!!!!
JPL9457
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Richycush)
Only Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick and maybe UCL and Saint Andrews look at GCSE's for your average degree subject. Unless your applying for medicine, dentistry, veterinary, or other really competitive courses, where GCSE's are important. Most Russell group don't really bother
cambridge don't really care about GCSEs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (147)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my education (154)
16.42%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (88)
9.38%
Isolating with family (65)
6.93%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (34)
3.62%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (82)
8.74%
Loneliness (95)
10.13%
Financial worries (39)
4.16%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (85)
9.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (64)
6.82%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (85)
9.06%

Watched Threads