Interview and Test - Science with an Integrated Foundation Year

Watch
matomi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Talking to admissions over entry requirements and the like and they would like me to book a date for an interview and a small mathematics test.
Now I'm anxious to say the least, so I'm just wondering, what can I expect from the interview and what will subjects will the maths test cover?

I want to do my best possible as UoM is my first choice and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,
-Matomi
MattDrane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mate had this interview for the same course, he said he was asked basic questions on why he wanted to study there ect (Though she said they normally ask about the subjects you take, but his are all humanities so she didn't ask) He then had a 4 question maths test which he said was hard for him and he got 50%. They gave him an offer though of ABB
matomi
Rep:
?
(Original post by MattDrane)
My mate had this interview for the same course, he said he was asked basic questions on why he wanted to study there ect (Though she said they normally ask about the subjects you take, but his are all humanities so she didn't ask) He then had a 4 question maths test which he said was hard for him and he got 50%. They gave him an offer though of ABB
Do you know what the questions were about? Algebra, Calculus, Transposition etc...?
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I haven't actually taken the test (I was told I would have to but for some reason I didn't in the end) but I can take a guess based on what I was told and what they expected us to know at the beginning of the foundation year:

• S.I. Units (converting between them etc.)
  • Scientific Notation (writing numbers to powers of 10)
  • Basic Algebra (rearranging equations etc.)
  • Areas and Volumes of Basic Shapes (circle, sphere, cylinder etc.)

I don't think there will be any Trigonometry but if there is it'll probably be very basic, Pythagoras' Theorem etc. Same goes for Calculus, in the Physics modules they assume no knowledge of Trig or Calculus as you're learning it at the same time in the Maths modules.

I can't guarantee that list is accurate but I'd be surprised if the test had anything majorly different on it.
matomi
Rep:
?
(Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
I haven't actually taken the test (I was told I would have to but for some reason I didn't in the end) but I can take a guess based on what I was told and what they expected us to know at the beginning of the foundation year:

• S.I. Units (converting between them etc.)
  • Scientific Notation (writing numbers to powers of 10)
  • Basic Algebra (rearranging equations etc.)
  • Areas and Volumes of Basic Shapes (circle, sphere, cylinder etc.)

I don't think there will be any Trigonometry but if there is it'll probably be very basic, Pythagoras' Theorem etc. Same goes for Calculus, in the Physics modules they assume no knowledge of Trig or Calculus as you're learning it at the same time in the Maths modules.

I can't guarantee that list is accurate but I'd be surprised if the test had anything majorly different on it.
Thanks for the reply.
That seems simple enough, having said that, I don't want to be too over confident about it.

About the foundation year itself, do you pick and choose what modules to take?

I'm wanting to do Physics, so would I only take Maths and Physics modules in the foundation year or does it cover everything? Chemistry, Biology etc...
HandmadeTurnip
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by matomi)
Thanks for the reply.
That seems simple enough, having said that, I don't want to be too over confident about it.

About the foundation year itself, do you pick and choose what modules to take?

I'm wanting to do Physics, so would I only take Maths and Physics modules in the foundation year or does it cover everything? Chemistry, Biology etc...
Some people only have a few compulsory modules and so get to pick the rest (e.g. Maths, Computer Science) but for Physics you don't. You'll have 4 Physics modules and 5 Maths modules plus ICT and Academic Skills.

Everyone also has to do a Project which is unique to the school you'll be going into and supervised by a member of its department.
ammaarah01x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone know what type questions they ask in the physics test? And if I want to do chemistry would I have to take the physics modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ammaarah01x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Has anyone had their interview?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mavisx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some people only have a few compulsory modules and so get to pick the rest (e.g. Maths, Computer Science) but for Physics you don't. You'll have 4 Physics modules and 5 Maths modules plus ICT and Academic Skills.

Everyone also has to do a Project which is unique to the school you'll be going into and supervised by a member of its department.
hmm... I'm not gonna enjoy to learn maths again (:| already done maths and further maths. Not sure if I can sub with chemistry or not.
HandmadeTurnip
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mavisx)
hmm... I'm not gonna enjoy to learn maths again (:| already done maths and further maths. Not sure if I can sub with chemistry or not.
At least you know you'll do well on it. Also, there is a small amount of material that goes beyond A-level. Whether or not you can choose something else depends on what course pathway you're on, and even then, all of the courses have at least a few compulsory Maths units.
username1494226
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At least you know you'll do well on it. Also, there is a small amount of material that goes beyond A-level. Whether or not you can choose something else depends on what course pathway you're on, and even then, all of the courses have at least a few compulsory Maths units.
Could you tell me what modules you'd have to do if you're taking one of the Earth Sciences courses after the foundation year
HandmadeTurnip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marco14196)
Could you tell me what modules you'd have to do if you're taking one of the Earth Sciences courses after the foundation year
Super Unit 1
Maths OB1/OC1
Maths ON1
Option 1 (choice between 'Physics: Matter' or 'Physics: World of the Electron')

Super Unit 2
Chemistry 1
Chemistry 2
Chemistry 3

Super Unit 3
Maths OB2/OC2
Physics: Waves
Maths OF2

Super Unit 4
ICT
Academic Skills
Project

In order to pass, you need to get an overall average of 60% as well as a minimum of 50% in each super unit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.26%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (131)
60.65%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.89%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (30)
13.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.31%

Watched Threads