Alkanes Watch

mattlogan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anybody have any good revision techniques on how to revise alkanes/alkenes for chemistry, cheers
AWJChadders
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I revise organic chemistry, I draw everything out that I need to know on an A3 sheet
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mattlogan)
Does anybody have any good revision techniques on how to revise alkanes/alkenes for chemistry, cheers
What do you intend by a revision technique? to learn all kinds of chemical structures of alkanes? use the general formula to determine the structure of a certain alkane: C(n)H(2n+2) where n = 1, 2, 3.

'n' is the number of carbon atoms in an alkane. Methane for instance is has a carbon atom in the chemical structure, so n = 1. Then the chemical structure of Mehtane is CH4. Another example. Ethane has two carbon atoms in the chemical structure, so n = 2. C2H6 is the chemical structure.

I recommend you to learn how many carbon atoms exist in a certain alkane, so you are able to determine the chemical structure by the general formula. The names of some alkanes even reveal how many carbon atoms exist in the alkanes. Example: Pentan, derived from penta = 5, so five carbon atoms; Octane, derived from octa = 8, so eight carbon atoms.

I hope that my comment was helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise