hipu96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I'm Spanish (my mum's English) and I would like to know if you think I will be able to do English literature in an English university although I haven't studied it before? I am doing a subject called Universal Literature, does this help?
Shizzam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have faith in yourself. If you can write a dandy essay in Spanish, with the same work ethic and all that comes along literary studies, then you should do fine doing the same thing in another language, provided that you're equally fluent in English as you're in Spanish.
hipu96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shizzam)
Have faith in yourself. If you can write a dandy essay in Spanish, with the same work ethic and all that comes along literary studies, then you should do fine doing the same thing in another language, provided that you're equally fluent in English as you're in Spanish.
Thank you my English is fluent, but I need to learn a lot of vocabulary. I'm not sure if I can do it I've tried to read some literature (Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc) but I can't understand it... Do you understand what it says when you read it?
Shizzam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hipu96)
Thank you my English is fluent, but I need to learn a lot of vocabulary. I'm not sure if I can do it I've tried to read some literature (Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc) but I can't understand it... Do you understand what it says when you read it?
That's why the modern 'translation' exists. Read the No Fear Shakespeare versions of his works so that you'd get a gist on what everything is on about. And you don't have to read old, dead white male authors in order to get a firmer grasp of Eng Lit, really, anything can bascially be analysed. Just look at the reading lists of where you're applying to, and go from there.

One last thing is to actually read alongside an audiobook. I know it may not seem evident, but you're actually conditioning your brain faster in reading in English through that. Just try it. Librivox has some free audiobooks.
swan stardust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hipu96
Rep:
?
Thank you very much for your advice I'll ask my mum and my English teacher some help
martin jol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got an A* in english lit and reading shakespeare is actually like reading another language to me so you'll be fine i reckon if you are committed to working hard.
swan stardust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
desdemonata
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I reckon you could do it :yep: I was the opposite of you; had to do Spanish Lit and deal with Cervantes with a vocabulary that wasn't quite as extended as it needed to be. I had to use the dictionary a little more often than I will admit

But if you persevere and remember that other people won't be able to read Shakespeare like every day English, you'll do just fine! Particularly when being able to write essays is a skill which will come across in any language
hipu96
Rep:
?
(Original post by desdemonata)
I reckon you could do it :yep: I was the opposite of you; had to do Spanish Lit and deal with Cervantes with a vocabulary that wasn't quite as extended as it needed to be. I had to use the dictionary a little more often than I will admit

But if you persevere and remember that other people won't be able to read Shakespeare like every day English, you'll do just fine! Particularly when being able to write essays is a skill which will come across in any language
Thank you Where did you study? In Spain?
hipu96
Rep:
?
(Original post by martin jol)
I got an A* in english lit and reading shakespeare is actually like reading another language to me so you'll be fine i reckon if you are committed to working hard.
I think I will have to work twice harder hahaha!!
desdemonata
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you Where did you study? In Spain?
I moved to Spain when I was younger and did the Spanish baccalaureate
ThatPerson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
English has evolved a lot, so don't worry if you don't understand stuff like Chaucer.

It took me several reads and lots of searching on the internet to understand the surface of Chaucer*, and then you have the underlying meaning, which sometimes takes a bit more time to understand. There are also Modern English translations of Chaucer, which are much easier to read.

Shakespeare is similar, because the language has moved on so much, it is hard to just open Shakespeare and understand it. The language takes some getting used to, and there is a lot to decipher and understand in Shakespeare.

If your beginning to understand Shakespeare and Chaucer, then you're probably doing better than most of the English-speaking population, who have never properly read these texts.

*I don't want to imply that I've read all of the Canterbury Tales; I haven't.
martin jol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think I will have to work twice harder hahaha!!
work twice as hard *

read some hemmingway if you haven't already. big ideas communicated simply and beautifully.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (315)
65.9%
No (163)
34.1%

Watched Threads