Concentration and rate in first order reactions? Watch

Kurraiyo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In first order reactions, rate=k[reactant] so as the concentration of the reactant increases the rate increases as well.

In my chemistry book it says, "Radioactive decay is an example of a first order reaction because its rate is independent of the concentration of the radioactive material."

:confused: How is that so?
Girling1996
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With radioactive decay, there is half-life which is always constant, i.e if the halflife is 2 years and you have 100g of it.
after 2 years, there will be 50g, after 4 years 25g, etc.
Radioactive decay is first order because the rate is always the same.
Kurraiyo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Girling1996)
With radioactive decay, there is half-life which is always constant, i.e if the halflife is 2 years and you have 100g of it.
after 2 years, there will be 50g, after 4 years 25g, etc.
Radioactive decay is first order because the rate is always the same.
So if you start with 100g or 1000g of a radioactive material, the RATE of decay would remain the same? I know the half-life would but the book says rate too :|
Goods
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kurraiyo)
In first order reactions, rate=k[reactant] so as the concentration of the reactant increases the rate increases as well.

In my chemistry book it says, "Radioactive decay is an example of a first order reaction because its rate is independent of the concentration of the radioactive material."

:confused: How is that so?
Your chemistry text book is wrong. The number of radioactive decays is directly proportional to the number of unstable nuclei (the amount of radioactive material) and its the fact that it is directly proportional to the amount and not the square of the amount etc... that makes it first order. In the same way a first order rate equation only depends on the concentration not its square etc..
Girling1996
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kurraiyo)
So if you start with 100g or 1000g of a radioactive material, the RATE of decay would remain the same? I know the half-life would but the book says rate too :|
I believe so, rate is always constant if it is first order.
Goods
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Girling1996)
I believe so, rate is always constant if it is first order.
the rate varies, its the rate of change of the rate (second derivative) that remains constant in a first order reaction.

Rate=\frac{\mathrm{d} [Conc]}{\mathrm{d} t}=k[Conc]

\frac{\mathrm{d}[Rate] }{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{\mathrm{d}^{2} [Conc]}{\mathrm{d} t^{2}}=k
Kurraiyo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goods)
Your chemistry text book is wrong. The number of radioactive decays is directly proportional to the number of unstable nuclei (the amount of radioactive material) and its the fact that it is directly proportional to the amount and not the square of the amount etc... that makes it first order. In the same way a first order rate equation only depends on the concentration not its square etc..
Okay that makes sense, so only the half-life remains constant. Thank you!
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Note: there do exist zeroth order reactions, in which reaction rate doesn't depend on the concentration at all.

Radioactive decay is definitely not one of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads