undergraduate courses in UK

Watch
TheCloud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(I couldn't find the right topic, please forgive me if it's inappropriate and to pollute the "International"'s topic. But it's something important... )
Hello dear British students,
I'm French and I'm going to live in Bradford (West Yorkshire) next year. By the way, I contacted the university of Bradford some days ago but I'm not used of this accent, so I didn't understand everything. For my defense, he did not try to speak clearly, like if I bored him. I'm not sure about my English abilities but I was placed in the C1 English class, I'm able to read novels and watch t shows (but american... I'm a fan of Doctor Who but i need to enable the subtitles). I'm writing a lot... At least, you'll be able to help me according to my profile.

So, my question is : Is a professional BSc/BEng possible for a foreigner? And does it exist? Half university half work.

I'm really interested in it, I want to share and learn as much as I can during my stay in Bradford. I see it as a big opportunity to improve my English skills and my knowledges in computing.

I have another question, if you don't mind... Could someone give me the matching between British diploma system and the LMD (European. France, Germany, Belgium, Italy, etc.. ) one?

Thanks a lot for your answers! Regards
Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Professional BSc/BEng? Half uni-half work? Doesn't exist.
TheCloud
Rep:
?
Seriously? That's a pity, it could be really enriching intellectually and professionally... Thanks for your answer!
(It exists in France by the way)
TheCloud
Rep:
?
it does exist !
http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/
It's something new in UK but it exists.

Sorry I posted twice without answers, but I think it's a good idea to share this information.
Doc.Daneeka
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheCloud)
it does exist !
http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/
It's something new in UK but it exists.

Sorry I posted twice without answers, but I think it's a good idea to share this information.
Apprenticeships aren't the same as going to university and getting a degree whilst working though. However, they are very much valid routes into certain industries so if that's what you want to do then go ahead as it's a great way of getting a good career without the risks involved in university.
TheCloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doc.Daneeka)
Apprenticeships aren't the same as going to university and getting a degree whilst working though. However, they are very much valid routes into certain industries so if that's what you want to do then go ahead as it's a great way of getting a good career without the risks involved in university.
With this kind of studies, are you only graduated in the society you worked in or can you work somewhere else after?
Because in France, you have this kind of diplomas except you study in university half of the time. It's a national diploma then.

The fact is I'm 23, I've stopped my studies for a while because of familial troubles. I'm actually in the university in France, (first year) but I want something more specific, something I can learn a job instead of learn 50% of craps i'll never use later... And work, even if it's not a lot, to learn from the others' experience. I don't know if my English is good enough to make myself understood...
Doc.Daneeka
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With this kind of studies, are you only graduated in the society you worked in or can you work somewhere else after?
Because in France, you have this kind of diplomas except you study in university half of the time. It's a national diploma then.

The fact is I'm 23, I've stopped my studies for a while because of familial troubles. I'm actually in the university in France, (first year) but I want something more specific, something I can learn a job instead of learn 50% of craps i'll never use later... And work, even if it's not a lot, to learn from the others' experience. I don't know if my English is good enough to make myself understood...
It would depend upon what you do but generally speaking you would be tied to the industry you trained in.

Apprenticeships work differently depending upon the company that is sponsoring you and which industry you will be going into, but generally speaking you'll only be taught things you need to know. Because you'll be learning quite specific skills there won't be the same degree of career flexibility as you would have if you were to go to university and graduate with a good degree.

I know that if you were to become a merchant navy apprentice (which basically means deck cadet, engine cadet, or electrical cadet) that you would spend ~6 months at college and then ~3 months at sea. That would continue for 3-4 years until you had enough experience and had completed all the necessary courses. At that point you would be a qualified and time served [insert role here].
TheCloud
Rep:
?
It would depend upon what you do but generally speaking you would be tied to the industry you trained in.

Apprenticeships work differently depending upon the company that is sponsoring you and which industry you will be going into, but generally speaking you'll only be taught things you need to know. Because you'll be learning quite specific skills there won't be the same degree of career flexibility as you would have if you were to go to university and graduate with a good degree.

I know that if you were to become a merchant navy apprentice (which basically means deck cadet, engine cadet, or electrical cadet) that you would spend ~6 months at college and then ~3 months at sea. That would continue for 3-4 years until you had enough experience and had completed all the necessary courses. At that point you would be a qualified and time served [insert role here].
I've been looking for a "Software Developer" or something in the Telecoms security apprenticeship. I don't mind to be stuck in this job, as it's what i want to do since I'm 14, but being stuck in a society would be a huge handicap... But from what i've understood (maybe I misunderstood what you mean) I'd be only stuck in an industry not a company/society, right? If I'm "Software Developer" I can't apply to a "Robotic Engineer" offer but i can apply to any "Software Developer" offer, that's it?

I'm sorry if I take too much of your time. I'd like to be sure about what i'm involving myself into.
Spaghetti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are there any other options other than Bradford?

I live near Bradford and all I can say is

Bradford not even once

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheCloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spaghetti)
Are there any other options other than Bradford?

I live near Bradford and all I can say is

Bradford not even once

Posted from TSR Mobile
As i'm still leaving in France I cannot say... I found Leeds' university and Bradford. That's all !
But Bradford has not let a good impression to me. When a foreigner calls you, you don't talk to him as if it was a native. If he would have spoken a bit slower I'd have understood him but he haven't cared. It even made me feel so ridiculous...
But don't worry I'm looking for something else now, I've made my choice but now I need explanations to prepare the next year as it should be.
(Once again, sorry about my English... )
Spaghetti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As i'm still leaving in France I cannot say... I found Leeds' university and Bradford. That's all !
But Bradford has not let a good impression to me. When a foreigner calls you, you don't talk to him as if it was a native. If he would have spoken a bit slower I'd have understood him but he haven't cared. It even made me feel so ridiculous...
But don't worry I'm looking for something else now, I've made my choice but now I need explanations to prepare the next year as it should be.
(Once again, sorry about my English... )
Uni of Leeds or Leeds metropolitan? Leeds would be a lot better than Bradford, trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheCloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spaghetti)
Uni of Leeds or Leeds metropolitan? Leeds would be a lot better than Bradford, trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the problem about Bradford? I've been looking for Bradford and Leeds university possibilities and flats with my fiancee (we're not from the same country and speak English together). Bradford seemed a bit better than Leeds. We liked the flats' design and the easy access to the airport. But is there any trouble about Bradford? We were looking for a flat to rent around Manningham Lane, is it a dangerous place? My fiancee may come back late sometimes...
(Maybe we can talk about it in private? )
Spaghetti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What's the problem about Bradford? I've been looking for Bradford and Leeds university possibilities and flats with my fiancee (we're not from the same country and speak English together). Bradford seemed a bit better than Leeds. We liked the flats' design and the easy access to the airport. But is there any trouble about Bradford? We were looking for a flat to rent around Manningham Lane, is it a dangerous place? My fiancee may come back late sometimes...
(Maybe we can talk about it in private? )
I'll pm you
Doc.Daneeka
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been looking for a "Software Developer" or something in the Telecoms security apprenticeship. I don't mind to be stuck in this job, as it's what i want to do since I'm 14, but being stuck in a society would be a huge handicap... But from what i've understood (maybe I misunderstood what you mean) I'd be only stuck in an industry not a company/society, right? If I'm "Software Developer" I can't apply to a "Robotic Engineer" offer but i can apply to any "Software Developer" offer, that's it?

I'm sorry if I take too much of your time. I'd like to be sure about what i'm involving myself into.
You understand perfectly fine.
mrsx512
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm Leeds (born and bred) so know both Bradford and Leeds really well.
What are you looking for? Leeds is fantastic for shopping and nightlife compared to Bradford. Bradford has some good entertainment spots.
To me, Bradford is very run down compared to Leeds. Again it depends on what area of Bradford/Leeds you are looking at. But generally Bradford is run down.
Bradford Uni is a good Uni, Just like Leeds Uni. I go to Leeds Met (they do the course I want to do) and really enjoying it. You can do "sandwich" degrees. So over 4 years you will do at least 1 year of work experience. I don't know much about them but that's something you can look at

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheCloud
Rep:
?
You understand perfectly fine.
Great it's what i'm looking for, thanks ! :adore:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (508)
33.69%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (625)
41.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (306)
20.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.58%

Watched Threads