What's the difference between induction, deduction and abduction?

Watch
Jem12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What's the difference between induction, deduction and abduction?
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Induction is knowledge through observation. It is about probability, for instance: Most adult humans are taller than two feet, Darren is an Adult, therefore Darren is most likely taller than two feet.

Deductive reasoning is taking several statements and following the rules of logic to reach a logically correct answer. For instance: All men are mortal. Socrates is a man. Therefore, Socrates is mortal. This is the method of acquiring knowledge used in philosophy, often by using statements accepted due to inductive reasoning.

Abduction is where you steal somebody against their will; kidnapping.
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Induction is knowledge through observation. It is about probability, for instance: Most adult humans are taller than two feet, Darren is an Adult, therefore Darren is most likely taller than two feet.

Deductive reasoning is taking several statements and following the rules of logic to reach a logically correct answer. For instance: All men are mortal. Socrates is a man. Therefore, Socrates is mortal. This is the method of acquiring knowledge used in philosophy, often by using statements accepted due to inductive reasoning.

Abduction is where you steal somebody against their will; kidnapping.
For the latter, he is referring to abductive reasoning, which is essentially guessing. It amounts to affirming the consequent (a logical fallacy), plus a variant of Occam's Razor.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BlueSam3)
For the latter, he is referring to abductive reasoning, which is essentially guessing. It amounts to affirming the consequent (a logical fallacy), plus a variant of Occam's Razor.
Oh, I didn't realise. I thought she was taking the Mick tbh lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.9%
I'm not sure (16)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.41%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.81%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.28%

Watched Threads