The Student Room Group

Have you ever experienced racism from your teacher?

I witnessed a situation once, two girls got into a collision and bumped heads, the P.E. teacher said to the black girl that she had to carry on playing whilst the white girl could sit down, the class went into a flurry and accused her of being racist, for unequal treatment. So, the teacher let both of them sit down.

Equal injury for different treatment.

Scroll to see replies

Loool.. I wouldn't call that racism more like favouritism..
Reply 2
My English teacher said ****** in front of my face but that was just part of racial contexts when she was discussing my coursework with me.

My Bio teacher did call me a dickhead out of nowhere though
My P.E teacher was racist towards the polish girls. Well I don't know if you can call it racism but she got pissed every time they talked in Polish. You could just tell she didn't like them in general.

I used to think I was being oppressed by a few of my teachers because I was black but looking back, it was probably because I was a bit of a little sh*t. I'm okay not though thankfully.
An R.E teacher basically me and my mate (coloured) drew the exact same picture. I went up to her first and showed it her and she said its great! then he did and she absolutely slated him LOL
Reply 5
Yeh my teacher in year 10 kicked me out the room for swearing at a black boy she was giving a blow job to the day previous

joke tbh
Reply 6
one teacher at my college asked a girl to remove her black coat as she couldn't see her face
Reply 7
Original post by goldie56
My English teacher said ****** in front of my face but that was just part of racial contexts when she was discussing my coursework with me.

Of Mice and Men I presume?
Reply 8
No it was on Spies and The Kite Runner; she was comparing ****** to some Hazara slur
My science teacher used to make black people sit in front of the windows because she was convinced they couldn't get sunburn.
Original post by Bill_Gates
An R.E teacher basically me and my mate (coloured) drew the exact same picture. I went up to her first and showed it her and she said its great! then he did and she absolutely slated him LOL

Probably more to do with her general expectations of you rather than race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A teacher once asked me to prove I had written my German essay during A-levels, which is fine, so long he would have done the same to the other students who also got an A.
My Geography teacher went on a rant about how Polish people ruined his area when we were studying migration... It was really awkward since there are a few polish people in my class
Not much realy
When I was a little kid it was law (and possibly still is) that free nursery school places would be guaranteed for many categories of children, including - and the one that covered me - only children, presumably to give us experience of being around children before reaching school.

Regardless, the nursery school that was supposed to cover my postcode denied me a place. We later found out that, whilst I and other white children who were meant to have free places were refused, the Asian headmistress had been giving them to the children of her (also Asian) friends and family who were not guaranteed them.
Reply 15
In a lesson I was laughing at a joke a friend made about fat people and the teacher (coincidently big) overheard the joke and accused me of telling the joke, responding by telling me to stop eating fried chicken as so many black people love :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Original post by Jem12

I witnessed a situation once, two girls got into a collision and bumped heads, the P.E. teacher said to the black girl that she had to carry on playing whilst the white girl could sit down, the class went into a flurry and accused her of being racist, for unequal treatment. So, the teacher let both of them sit down.

Well I'm Muslim and pretty much the only Muslim male in my year. It did feel kinda uncomfortable studying racism when your the only person of an ethnicity which isn't white thought it's not like I was being targeted or anything. Although quite recently a teacher for no aparent reason decided to tell me about something which had happened in her class earlier on. Basically a Muslim girls friend said "paki" which another girl heard causing the Muslim to say that the friend can only say that word to her. This may sound confusing haha. Anyway this had nothing to do with me at all and it felt weird for her to be saying "paki" infront of an all white class bar me. I don't really have a problem with people saying it but it just felt uncomfortable and unnecessary.
Reply 17
Original post by Jem12

I had a Sociology teacher who would be outrageously racist to students in a joking context, and the students concerned never took offence - although it's still undoubtedly very inappropriate for a teacher.
We had one black person in our class and whenever we were discussing statistics of crime, he'd turn to look at the black person in a very obvious and theatrical way.
I remember another time he said it was lunch time, so the black boy could now "go and swing around in the trees".

Also my History teacher said something racist to a Polish girl in my class when we were doing about WWII, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. It was probably worse than the racism of my sociology teacher though, even though it wasn't as explicit, the girl was a sweet, quiet girl, who was in no way suited to 'banter', and it made me feel really really sad.
Original post by delboy2
Yeh my teacher in year 10 kicked me out the room for swearing at a black boy she was giving a blow job to the day previous

joke tbh

Wait what? :confused:
Reply 19
YES.
My English teacher last year (Texan red-neck) gave me terrible grades in pretty much every paper I'd written (this was IB year one english. English A, i think its now called?). I mean she would tell me something about my introduction being disorganised (sentence three should have been your opening sentence and you should have split your thesis statement into two sentences) and would cite that as enough reason to give me a C- on a paper.

?!??!?!!?!?!?!!

What really ticked me off though, was:

A) She'd never tell me exactly what to improve. She'd tell me "oh you may want to revise such and such paragraph or technique" and continue failing me when I didn't read her mind to find out exactly what she wanted. And it's not like i didn't ask on multiple occasions. I mean I got my mother to come in and talk to her about my work (basically told my mum the same thing - you daughter just needs to think of how to organise her papers better. full stop.)

B) The German kid next to me who BARELY SPOKE A WORD OF PROPER ENGLISH got B's and A's. I mean the kid would write a 2 paragraph essay (paper 1's are meant to be like 5 paragraphs long) and get bloody B's!

And it's not like I struggle in English. It has been my best class since God knows when. I LOVE reading and writing (started reading simple sentences/attempting newspaper at 2.5 years!) and suddenly I get to 11th grade, and my English grade drops from A's to barely-there C-'s.

I'm in IB year two now. I was switched to another English teacher as my old one got married and moved back to Texas (hallelujah and God bless.). Nothing but straight A's for the past 4 months. Haven't changed a thing about my organisation technique in my papers.
Just to see, I asked my teacher if she'd mind looking over a paper I'd written last year (and gotten a C on). She told me it looked fine, except for a few grammatical errors but she'd easily give it an A-. Gave it to the head of our English department, same thing.

My 11th grade English teacher slaughtered my GPA. Because of that one class, I didn't get into Cum Laude Society.
God bless that woman.

(by the way, I was the only black kid in her class. I like to think its racism based on how much she spoke about her great-grandfather or whatever who fought in the civil war AGAINST the abolitionists and what a "brave and upright" man he was. exact effing quotes.)

I feel much better after getting this out! Didn't realise I stilled harboured so much resentment towards her.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending