Psychology, Sociology and Creative Writing? Watch

Jebony
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm doing my Sixth from applications currently and I would like to know, from someone who has done, or is doing these courses (Psychology, Sociology and Creative Writing) what they are like at AS and A2 level. How hard are they on the scale from 1-10, is there much coursework/ exams ect... Thanks! *Sorry if there's not enough information here, I'm new to TSR*
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Creative Writing have loads of coursework! It's 2,000 words plus 1,000 commentary! You have to read and write in many different genres for example. My friend said they came back from their c/w class and they had to listen to and read a radioscript of War of the Worlds, then analyse it using speech and literary terminology. They now have to record a radioscript from Capital FM and analysis for their next lesson and then they have to write their own!

They have to do this with so many different genres. Another genre was travel writing. They read 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning' and analysed that and then had to do some activity based on their recent travel. Our English department took them to see a Shakespeare play where Shakespeare used to live and they had to base their travel writing on that journey!

So it's very experimental and interactive. Be prepared for your peers to praise and criticise your work as well, as creative writing has a lot of that!

Exams are quite straightforward, you also have to analyse how a specific piece of creative writing from the professional world for example an encyclopedia on food and a food article create meaning! So it's a lot of fun. It's a lot of lit and language but more creative!
staticas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Take English Lit or Language instead they're better - and depending what exam board you're with will include some creative writing. Lit is the most respected of the 3, then Language - then creative writing. To do a creative writing degree at university it could be beneficial but so could a traditional English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CheesePuffff
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing AS psychology and sociology and they are definitely my easiest subjects. Not to say that they're easy, there's a lot of memory involved and some concepts are hard to get your head around, but my other subjects are history and biology so psychology and sociology are relatively easy. They do involve a lot of work though, for example sociology has a lot of essays and psychology has a lot of terminology and results to remember.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (23)
11.86%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (16)
8.25%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (43)
22.16%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (28)
14.43%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (25)
12.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (59)
30.41%

Watched Threads