Atheists we are just matter, so it doesn't matter.

Watch
ashraf549
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So whether we save a million lives, advance science, and end poverty or kill a million people, end scientific advancement, and never end poverty, in the end it is the same result; we're just matter so it doesn't matter. The atheists who camp this page will obviously disagree but the atheists who are honest to themselves would come to the same conclusion. If god doesn't exist and there isn't a judgment day than the best solution to our problems is mass suicide (no people, no problems).
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
in the long term, no it doesn't matter in the end. however while we are here we may as well make the most of it. suicide just seems wasteful, there is so much to do!

I do wonder what the point of this post is. yes, if we atheists are right everything is ultimately meaningless. that doesn't mean we are not right though.
xDave-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ashraf549)
So whether we save a million lives, advance science, and end poverty or kill a million people, end scientific advancement, and never end poverty, in the end it is the same result; we're just matter so it doesn't matter. The atheists who camp this page will obviously disagree but the atheists who are honest to themselves would come to the same conclusion. If god doesn't exist and there isn't a judgment day than the best solution to our problems is mass suicide (no people, no problems).
Just because we don't have some (overt) innate purpose, doesn't mean we can't find our own ones. That's kinda the whole point. Maybe your purpose is suicide, but mine is not. There are lots of things to explore just on this planet, let alone in the universe, and maybe even beyond that. Who knows what we'll find.
nimrodstower
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What an arse-head of a post, what you are saying is if you discovered the truth that there is no God, you would kill yourself, rape, murder, steal or all of those things. You don't see Atheists doing that, so your post is a fallacy. There are plenty of reasons to behave morally in this world, God is not one of them.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not even atheist, yet I agree that the OP is ridiculous.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moved to philosophy.

What are your reasons for believing this? I don't think it is enough to say, "we are just matter so it doesn't matter," and expect that to be enough to support your claim, when it seems self-evident to me that it is better for society to be happy than in pain - in which case it would matter.
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I quite like the idea of other people being happy, so I make it happen. Simple.
nopenopenope
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no religion
No purpose

Strong philosophy
nice as level, did you make it to a2?
username474976
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy."

You should read The Myth of Sisyphus.
Zorgotron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The point isn't that atheists are nihilists. The point is that in a universe that has no purpose, where human existence is just a matter of probablity, where moral truths do not exist and are simply human conventions - an atheist SHOULD BE a nihilist, if he is to be consistent with his worldview.
Hellcat12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Take the initiative, please.
:flutter:
AristoBrat!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No to the belief in a higher entity = yes to the belief that life does not matter = kill everyone!

Your logical prowess have confuddled me this morning, dear sir.
:congrats:

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlueSam3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zorgotron)
The point isn't that atheists are nihilists. The point is that in a universe that has no purpose, where human existence is just a matter of probablity, where moral truths do not exist and are simply human conventions - an atheist SHOULD BE a nihilist, if he is to be consistent with his worldview.
Nope. Morality has absolutely nothing to do with the existence of a higher power. At all.
JohnPaul_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1386803016.625940.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  145.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aoide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zorgotron)
You are making the assumption that everyone agrees with you that something being made of matter makes it worthless.

I don't believe there is a universal purpose and i'm glad of it, I have freedom and no requirement to live up to anyone's expectation. Yes the universe is random, chaotic and meaningless but I'm here and I have the opportunity to do whatever I like, so I may as well make the most of it. No one can claim anything is inherently right but I can still take value in things.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
On the contrary, this life is everything we have and ever will have. Why would I kill myself and rob myself of the only chance at life I will ever have?
TheLoveDoctor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so because we are made of matter than justifies your coincidental pun how?
if we were made of something else would that change something here?
what if life fundamentally *doesn't* matter? so what? use it however you want, don't waste the happiness you might get out of it. don't waste it by subjecting yourself to imaginary gods.
ChocoCoatedLemons
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is going to be my only chance at living. No repeats, no eternal family reunion. Why would I want to end it prematurely?
Jelephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I enjoy spending time with my boyfriend and my family. I am looking forward to going to see the new Hobbit movie on Friday and to France in the summer. I love snuggling up in a blanket with a hot chocolate in the winter. I love coaching my girls at gymnastics, and I love treating myself to cake now and then. These things make me feel good and I want to keep feeling good. I would gain no benefit from killing myself, but there would be an opportunity cost of all the things I could experience if I were to keep living. There would be no logic in committing suicide.
Zorgotron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aoide)
You are making the assumption that everyone agrees with you that something being made of matter makes it worthless.

I don't believe there is a universal purpose and i'm glad of it, I have freedom and no requirement to live up to anyone's expectation. Yes the universe is random, chaotic and meaningless but I'm here and I have the opportunity to do whatever I like, so I may as well make the most of it. No one can claim anything is inherently right but I can still take value in things.
It doesn't make it worthless, it just makes it meaningless. There is no objective worth, but whatever worth someone subjectively imposes on it.

And what you said really is close to nihilism. Nothing is inherently right or wrong - meaning that the holocaust wasn't really wrong, it's just that we are socially conditioned to think it was wrong, whereas the germans were socially conditioned to think it was right.

I can live up to anyones expectations, I should pursue my life to the fullest, even if that means doing so at the expense of others. Who cares? The world has no singular purpose, there is no right or wrong. As long as I am stronger than others, I can do whatever I want and nobody can say that I'm wrong. What are they going to appeal to? Their own subjective feelings and desires.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.88%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (22)
17.05%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (23)
17.83%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (17)
13.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (38)
29.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.6%

Watched Threads