If you study these subjects... Watch

Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
If you study (or studied) these subjects could you enlighten me on a few things.

How are you coping (or did you cope) with the course so far?

What is your current grade (or what was your final grade)?

How hard is it compared to GCSE?

What did you get in GCSE for the courses (if taken)?

Please give detailed answers as that will help me choose what A-levels to study!

The subjects are:

English Literature (AQA)
Biology (OCR)
Psychology (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
History (Edexcel)
Spanish (Edexcel)

If you are on the same exam board it would be more beneficial but if your not still leave your opinions below! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
alexandramary
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not too sure on the others, but I do Biology and History.

For the record, I got A* in both at GCSE, doing GCSE AQA triple science and Edexcel History.

Biology is similar. More things to remember and get your head around, but the whole way of assessment, I find is really similar. There's not many "new" skills you need; if you can remember stuff and do practicals and get your head around new concepts, you're pretty much sorted. I find it to be waaay more interesting and in all my mocks/assessments I'm getting a steady stream of A's. I do put a bit more work in than at GCSE; I do a lot more further reading and extra work, but I imagine I could still cope without doing this.

History however, is quite different to GCSE. It's hugely essay based, and the way the essays are marked is different. I'm getting a C most of the time. There is a LOT more to remember, a lot more work, but the class is fairly divided. Some people are great at essays, some people aren't. I thought I was good at GCSE but I found at AS, I'm not brilliant. However, if you're particularly good at essays, I reckon you'd enjoy it more. I personally find History to be much more stressful than Bio, but probably just because I'm not great at it!
BWCW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Psychology AQA to AS level and got an A. Didn't take the GCSE as my school didn't offer it.

Found it, on the whole, quite straightforward. The topics are relatively interesting, and there's lots of scope for extra research if you find something you're interested in.

Exam technique is essential - timing is something you'll have to master for the exams, as far as I remember I think it is literally a mark a minute. Once you've got that down, should be pretty easy though.

A lot of it (I found) was just a case of remembering studies! There's a lot to remember (though I'm told at A2 the number of studies gets completely ridiculous ) and you'll end up with a mountain of notes. Mentioning studies is pretty much guaranteed to pick you up marks though. There is some instances of data interpretation/graph plotting etc., but you won't be expected to do any real maths more advanced than working out averages.

I'd say it's a solid choice, not overly strenuous, but will require revision - it's not really one you can blag.

I'm doing English literature too, but on Edexcel. I'll just throw the fact that it's a lot writing into the ring.
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm on the same boards for History and Literature so I'll answer for just them

English Literature- I coped pretty well. I don't believe the step up is that great for Literature. The texts you have to study aren't much more complex than the ones at GCSE. If you're with AQA B, you'll probably do 4 texts for the exam and 2 for the coursework. The best way to succeed is in the exam is to ensure you fulfill the assessment objectives as best as you can. If you stick to them, you should come out with a decent mark. Write a coherent and effective essay to hit the top marks. Timing is also vital! I messed this up at AS and so barely wrote anything for the 42 mark question you should get better at this the more essays you complete, but I'd suggest doing timed essays at home when revising

History- again, the step up wasn't too bad so I coped quite well. The volume of content is one of the things that makes History so difficult! There is so much it will undoubtedly stress you out but it's worth it! The other thing you have to cope with is the exam structure. For unit one, you have to answer two 30 mark questions. You get a choice between two for each topic which obviously helps Essay structure is so important for this exam, so you need to find a good technique to help you! Your teachers will direct you as you do more essays. Unit 2 is a source paper. For section A, you'll get three sources and a question on them, you don't get a choice. You don't need to use your own knowledge for this as you won't get credit for it you should use contextual knowledge, though. Section B you do get a choice, and you have to use the three sources and your own knowledge! With the sources, cross referencing is key

I got an A in both at AS, predicted an A* in both for A2.

Definitely not too bad, pretty much answered in the first question

A* in History, A in English Literature
andyt8765
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ben4)
If you study (or studied) these subjects could you enlighten me on a few things.

Please give detailed answers as that will help me choose what A-levels to study!

The subjects are:

English Literature (AQA)
Biology (OCR)
Psychology (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
History (Edexcel)
Spanish (Edexcel)

If you are on the same exam board it would be more beneficial but if your not still leave your opinions below! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did AQA Psychology to AS-level. I got a B after a remark, and it wasn't offered at GCSE. To sum it up; I wish I didn't take psychology.

I was expecting something rather scientific and objective but it turned out to be just a lot of subjectiveness and just another essay subject. There were only a few parts of the syllabus I was actually interested in, and I hated the way it was examined; the questions didn't really require you to apply any knowledge or understanding, just simply churn out different case studies and research papers to make points.

Also; it is completely irrelevant to what I want to study at university (chemistry) so I would've benefited from taking something like physics or biology instead. Universities also consider it one of the 'Mickey Mouse' A-levels so you'll either get rejected or get a higher offer for competitive course if you take it to A-level rather than something more respected (depending on the applied subject, of course).

So, I'd only pick psychology if:
  • A: You look through the syllabus and the content interests you.
  • And B: If it is somewhat relevant to what you want to study at university (Psychology, Law, Sociology, Criminology, Health and Social Care etc)

Sorry to be so blunt, just wanted to be honest. I'd say your best four from those listed above would be:
  1. English Lit
  2. Biology
  3. Maths
  4. History
Okkefac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Biology AQA GCSE, and are doing biology AQA AS level right now. As for maths at GCSE it was Edexcel, now it's OCR. I can't comment on any others.

Maths: I am LOVING it, I really wish I took Further maths. So far the topics are just kind of an extension of A* GCSE knowledge, but the mechanics modules are really cool as well (although you might be considering stats, which I can't comment on, really, although I did a GCSE in statistics). Homework is manageable in my opinion, and the work is at a nice level, interesting but not horribly difficult.
Biology: The topics are really really interesting, I find, more interesting than at GCSE level overall. However there is A LOT of it (and I mean a lot!) I'm coping remarkably well though, considering I didn't like it that much at GCSE (although that might've been due to the teacher).

Maths: Based on homework/target grade/mini tests I'd say definitely a solid/high A grade
Biology: Probably maybe a low A? However I'm bad at exam technique (something I majorly hate) so I might be more of a B level when it comes to exams.

Maths: In my opinion, not too much more difficult. Well, it is, but not horrifyingly so, apparently A2 maths may be harder though. I just really love maths though so I may be biased XD.
Biology: To be honest...it's pretty much the same but more detail, and exam technique is more strict, if that makes sense. But yeah more detail so LOADS more content to learn. But I find the content to be more interesting than at GCSE, so that may be something.

Maths: A*
Biology:A
economicsrocks
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do English Lit and Maths on the same boards.

I love English Lit this year! Around the time of coursework, the workload does get a little heavy, but only because of deadlines. I'm coping perfectly fine with it, and it's my most enjoyable subject. The lessons are relaxed and fun, and homework tends to be an essay. I find it relatively easy-ish and the only way it is different to GCSE is the emphasis on context and assessment objectives. I got an A* at GCSE and I'm currently working on an A.

C1 gives a nice transition from GCSE to A level. Maths is a well respected a level that will help you whatever you do. I am coping well in this, although C2 is getting a little tricky! It's certainly manageable, though. I am currently working on an A and I got an A* at GCSE.

My friends do biology, psychology and history. Biology seems easyish, a lot is similar to GCSE and they seem to be doing well. My other friend said psychology is interesting and also seems to be doing well. Another friend who does history seems to have a lot of essays, even more than English (which doesn't have that many in my opinion).

Good luck with whatever you choose
Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you for everyone's replies! They are very useful, still looking for more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
fantagurl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ben4)

The subjects are:

English Literature (AQA)
Biology (OCR)
Psychology (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
History (Edexcel)
Spanish (Edexcel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
i do maths and it is so hard! I got a B at gcse so if you are at an A or A* it will be an advantage as the first few topics are the A/A* content. The jump is unreal it is a huge leap so if you want to do it make sure you learn all your basic A/A*s topics inside out and start some topics so you are ahead and not clueless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (88)
9.95%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (147)
16.63%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (127)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.62%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.88%

Watched Threads