The Student Room Group

Stressed beyond belief

Hey :smile: so a bit of background,
I got 2A's, 4B's and 2C's (and a pass in PE) in my GCSE's, so not the best of results. But I had loads of medical issues at the time, so missed 60% over the two years. Anyway, so now I'm in year 12 (AS ) and I'm doing biology, chemistry, English lit and maths stats. I'm struggling, seriously. I just can't seem to get on top of my work.
It's my dream to study veterinary medicine at Edinburgh, and as far as I'm concerned, nothing is going to stop me :smile: but I am really starting to doubt if I can actually do it? I'm failing in chemistry and maths, and I just can't seem to motivate myself. I know you guys can't raise my grades, but I guess I was just looking for some friendly advice? :smile: xxxxx
Reply 1
So, I have been in the same situation. Good grades at GCSE but then the enormous challenge of A levels and the most competitive course to get in to struck. All I can say, in hindsight, is never give up. With A levels and, if that doesn't work out, there is still the option of post graduate entry. Several people on the course I did - animal physiology and nutrition - ultimately went on to become vets. Keep battling, think of alternative strategies and options. Your career is one of the most important things and working hard now and thinking and getting advice on some alternatives really will pay off. Also there is life beyond being a vet - I now have a very satisfying career even though I didn't realise my dream. Keep the stress in balance and good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
First of all, well done for picking those subjects, and not trying to go down an easy route.

I'm having similar issues. I want to study modem languages at UCL. I'm getting A's in Business, A's in law, B's in English and C's in German - the complete opposite of how I need it to be. Everyone I know goes through one "aargh I'll never do it" phase, so you're not alone!

My advice would be to use every spare moment you can to revise. Make it part of you life. Ie - when you're stood waiting for a bus be thinking about some mental notes.

"The roots of education are bitter, but their fruits are sweet"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by On-you-we-depend
I got 2A's, 4B's and 2C's (and a pass in PE) in my GCSE's, so not the best of results. But I had loads of medical issues at the time, so missed 60% over the two years. Anyway, so now I'm in year 12 (AS ) and I'm doing biology, chemistry, English lit and maths stats. I'm struggling, seriously. I just can't seem to get on top of my work.
It's my dream to study veterinary medicine at Edinburgh, and as far as I'm concerned, nothing is going to stop me :smile: but I am really starting to doubt if I can actually do it? I'm failing in chemistry and maths, and I just can't seem to motivate myself. I know you guys can't raise my grades, but I guess I was just looking for some friendly advice? :smile: xxxxx

Are you doing any other things outside studying that could be causing you stress/hindering your ability to do work? I'm not going to lie and pretend this course is easy, there's a lot to take in not just academically. However I think realising you are struggling is always a good thing as you can then do something about it :biggrin: if being a vet is what you want, go for it. Use applying as motivation as it will be a damn sight easier if you've got the predicted grades and everything before applying. Have you done work exp at vets and seen what they do? It is a stressful job, so seeing them in action and thinking about how you would deal with the situations etc can be good. I know someone mentioned postgrad, but I would seriously avoid it at all costs, the tuition fees are huge and the competition probably even more fierce as everyone will have good degrees and probably want the cheapest fees for fewer places!
Bit of a long post but basically if you want it go for it, but think about what could be causing you to not be motivated and address if this could be a problem in the future, and good luck :smile:

You need to take a long hard look at how you study and manage stress.

If you are already putting in the necessary hours then you probably need to focus on how you revise. A lot of people spend a long time re-reading or re-writing their notes which is normally pretty unproductive. It can be very brainless dedicating hours to re-reading/re-writing notes without really taking anything in or understanding core concepts (especially if there are distractions in the background). I personally swear by making flip cards to test yourself, as well as answering past paper questions and meeting up with friends to discuss difficult topics.

If you aren't putting in the hours then you need to create an environment where you will, whether it is arranging extra tuition after school, staying late to work in the library where there aren't distractions or arranging to work with some friends. Also bear in mind that the earlier you start preparing for exams the easier it is to fit it in and balance your social life (and manage stress). 30-60 minutes of quality revision every day for a year, or a couple of hours every Saturday/Sunday, will better prepare you than pulling all-nighters a couple of weeks before your exams (too little too late). Plus if you're only doing 30 mins of revision a day that leaves you with at least a couple of hours every day to relax, whether it's getting exercise, watching movies or going out with friends (and balance out your hard work).

*This comes from a vet that failed three quarters of their modules in the first couple of years of vet school before making a few changes and passing every module thereafter*.

It may sound harsh but if you do not get a grip on what you are doing now it is very unlikely that you will graduate even if you were lucky enough to scrape your way into vet school. Staying at vet school is significantly harder than A-levels and becoming a successful practicing vet is even harder still.

---

Also if you are really determined to be a vet and it is only your grades letting you down, take a year out to resit the necessary exams, get extra work experience and strengthen your application.

DO NOT RUSH INTO GRADUATE ENTRY. It is incredibly expensive, it is incredibly time consuming and it is even more competitive than undergrad entry.
(edited 10 years ago)

There have been a lot of good suggestion on here so far.

I just want to add a few more things:

I am wondering if you are struggling with some concepts at A level because you perhaps missed some basic concepts during GCSE? If so, perhaps it might be worth going back to basics of certain topics you are struggling in, and working from there.

I have known vet students, who have repeated AS year and still got into vet school. Perhaps, if you do decide to do this, then you might reconsider whether you want to swap maths for something else (check, but most, although not all, don't require maths specifically) if you are struggling. But for the time being, you still have quite a bit of time to get your act together and turn things around. :smile:

Managing your time well might be something you need to do better. Perhaps plan a set timetable for the week where you can dedicate a certain amount of hours to homework and revision, leaving time for any regular activities you need to do or times for relaxation. Be realistic as to what you can achieve, but also somewhat flexible in case something comes up etc.

Have you spoken to your teachers to perhaps find which bits of the course you are struggling with so you can focus your effort more on the bits you find hardest? Or you may be able to identify weakness areas yourself. Sometimes 'traffic lighting' topics you find difficult may be helpful, meaning you can spend more time on things you struggle with and less time on topics you find easier.

Good luck :wink:

I really struggled with my a levels and ended up leaving sixth form with just my AS levels (with CCA). I then went to college to study BTEC animal management, which lent itself directly to veterinary and the whole industry.
I looked at alternate routes into veterinary as I have always struggled at school (especially with exams) and got myself very stressed out!
I am now on the Veterinary Gateway course at RVC and have applied to Liverpool from it! It is worth looking at alternative routes as it may be easier to break it down into stepping stones like I did.
Next year I have a guaranteed place here in London (as long as I pass my exams) and can apply to some other vet schools! It's defiantly been the right route for me and has even taught me better ways of revising, diagnosed me with dyslexia and made me stress far less!

I really hope this helps, as long as you keep your motivation, you will get there!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My GCSE's were average, 5 As and 4 Bs. And at A-level I found the step-up very hard to adjust to, with work load, further reading etc. I took Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Lit.

At the end of AS I had failed my chemistry and only just passed Biology to be honest. I was really stressed, and to top it all off had broken my ankle and found getting around school a great challenge, so ended up not going. I couldn't face doing another year of English lit so dropped that.

So in my A2 year I was only really doing 2 A-levels (Bio and Geog). And saw no hope of getting into uni let alone vet school. However I was fortunate to gain a place at uni to study Animal Science. Which I really enjoyed and graduated in 2013 with a 2:1 degree.

So in October 2013 I put in my 2nd attempt at a UCAS application to study veterinary medicine. And in December I got the news that I'd been accepted by Edinburgh.

So please don't think the only way to get into vet school is through A-Levels, other animal related degrees are a good stepping stone to apply when your a bit older. I'm so glad I did my first degree, as I doubt I would have coped with the stress and work load of a veterinary degree at 18.
Don't be put off by graduate entry, in most cases (except Edinburgh) unis will be charging you the same cost of fees as a graduate as school leavers.

It might not be easy, and it won't quick. But if it's something you want to do, don't give up.
Original post by SpoiltRotten

So please don't think the only way to get into vet school is through A-Levels, other animal related degrees are a good stepping stone to apply when your a bit older. I'm so glad I did my first degree, as I doubt I would have coped with the stress and work load of a veterinary degree at 18.
Don't be put off by graduate entry, in most cases (except Edinburgh) unis will be charging you the same cost of fees as a graduate as school leavers.

I am not sure how student finance works in Scotland but believe you can't get a loan for a second degree so you have to have the money up front? This is certainly true if you're an English student but not sure about Scotish people.
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I am not sure how student finance works in Scotland but believe you can't get a loan for a second degree so you have to have the money up front? This is certainly true if you're an English student but not sure about Scotish people.

I'm an English student so no idea how the Scottish loan system works. All I know is you can get some additional support through student finance in the UK.
At Edinburgh I'm having to pay a £1500 deposit to secure my place, then you can either pay the fees in one lump sum or each year.
However I'm in the very fortunate position that my parents are paying my tution fees. But will defintley be looking into some form of maintenace loan if i am entitled to it, no idea if i am.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending