LucyCharlotte91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey

I'm a recent English graduate planning on taking a law conversion course starting next autumn. Only thing is I'm still really confused on where the best places to apply to are. I know that certain firms have their own tailored programmes at BPP which they require you to take if you're lucky enough to get a TC offer before starting your GDL. I'm also confused about the difference between the "University of Law" vs the "College of Law". Which is viewed most favourably by the top firms? My boyfriend's mum did her conversion course at Nottingham Law School (Nottingham Trent) and seems to think this is one of my best options? If anyone could advise me or link me to any helpful websites I'd be very grateful. xxx
arrowhead
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
University of Law = College of Law, they're the same thing. The University of Law used to be called the College of Law until they had their name changed when they received university status.

Frankly, it doesn't matter at all where you do your GDL, not one bit. Doing a GDL/LPC at University of Law versus BPP versus Nottingham will not enhance nor limit your chances of obtaining a training contract, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arrowhead)
University of Law = College of Law, they're the same thing. The University of Law used to be called the College of Law until they had their name changed when they received university status.

Frankly, it doesn't matter at all where you do your GDL, not one bit. Doing a GDL/LPC at University of Law versus BPP versus Nottingham will not enhance nor limit your chances of obtaining a training contract, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.
I would qualify that in one respect. For a non-law graduate, if you are looking for a career in the provinces and are not going to UoL or BPP (which run their careers services on a national basis) there might be an advantage in studying close to where you wish to practise, because of better employer links e.g Northumbria for the North East, Trent for the Midlands, UWE for the South West. Having said this, I have got partners who went to law school in Newcastle and Bournemouth!
LucyCharlotte91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks very much guys. I'll probably end up doing it at the Birmingham Uni. of Law then and live at home to save money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.74%
No (432)
66.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed