Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, most of what I see is a lot of talk about working long, long hours especially in the first year for an investment bank. What I want to know is, is it possible to work and still stay in shape, eg. go to the gym etc? Anybody found a way of finding the balance?

ReputationRep:
    Loads go to the gym daily - either early morning, lunchtime or evening depending on working hours.

ReputationRep:
    The gym must be awfully boring. Do they have time for more fun stuff, like swimming or tennis ?

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone finds gyms boring, e.g. I don't. A normal weight training session takes around 60-75 minutes, excluding travel, shower, etc. I don't see why swimming/tennis wouldn't be feasible during the same amount of time?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks.

ReputationRep:
    doing Yoga, Meditation...getting a massage...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chassez)
    Loads go to the gym daily - either early morning, lunchtime or evening depending on working hours.
    Does that include those working in their first year?

ReputationRep:
    Johan C, when I'm at GS, you're at ML, we can do tennis :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Lol np jb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suave)
    Does that include those working in their first year?
    Yes. I know a lot of 1st years who try and go every day - sales/traders after work (6-7pm), in areas where markets are quiet at lunchtime they can go then (eg Commodities), people with 9am starts in the early morning. IBD people could go in the morning but not sure if they're sleeping instead..

ReputationRep:
    Hey Jools - any word on that article/interview yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chassez)
    Yes. I know a lot of 1st years who try and go every day - sales/traders after work (6-7pm), in areas where markets are quiet at lunchtime they can go then (eg Commodities), people with 9am starts in the early morning. IBD people could go in the morning but not sure if they're sleeping instead..
    At my local gym, I once went at 7am it was quite busy!

Going gym in lunch hour? I've heard of this...but how does someone have time to warm up+main workout+warm down+shower+lunch in the lunch hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAsianProdigy)
    At my local gym, I once went at 7am it was quite busy!

Going gym in lunch hour? I've heard of this...but how does someone have time to warm up+main workout+warm down+shower+lunch in the lunch hour
    45 min workout, 10 min shower, lunch at your desk?

Don't know how it is in the City but you can have basically anything delivered on Wall Street--even McDonalds!

ReputationRep:
    Lots of banks have gyms in the building. Free for interns, highly subsidised rates for everyone else.

Went to mine today. It's lovely. Great facility all around, from the equipment to the changing rooms. Totally unlike a normal gym, cause they aren't stingy about anything. Huge towels supplied, so don't have to carry your own. Nice view too. TV/earphone system on all cardio equipment.

Most girl-friendly changing room I've ever been in - top notch hairdryers, extra toiletries lying around, plenty of big lockers with hangers and open plugs for anyone using a straightening iron, like myself!

I suspect all banks with gyms are like this.

Agree with other posters - when you go will be determined by the nature/timing of your desk. Some people pull off going at lunch. I'd prefer mornings and am lucky to start at 9am, so that works. Gym opens early enough, miss the rush on the tube, breakfast in the subsidised canteen, at desk on time.

I do find, however, that I'm on more coffee than normal pulling this off!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyxanu)
    Some people pull off going at lunch. I'd prefer mornings and am lucky to start at 9am, so that works. Gym opens early enough, miss the rush on the tube, breakfast in the subsidised canteen, at desk on time.
    Dont you get sick of spending so much time at work ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just on an internship, so at the moment, everything is still so exciting!

I suspect this would wear off in time, you're right.

Exercise is pretty high up my list of priorities though, and if it is more likely to happen if I do it at work, why not? Efficiency really.

ReputationRep:
    Funny this thread came up as I saw two runners running near tower bridge today with JP Morgan shirts on, and this is at peak time of the day. I assume they worked there obviously, so there is clearly time during the day for execise.

Bankers stay sane by doing things that are not work. Maybe. But whatever you do, you make the time.

Lunch = delivered/get someone junior to do it.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.