The Student Room Group

Some questions about Computing.

How hard is computing in university?
What do I need for computing in university? (A levels)
What kind of person do I need to be?
Is it a big leap from A levels?
Also..
IS IT WORTH IT? (How long would it take to get a job, and what kind of salary would it be?)
Also, My predicted grade for computing in GCSE is a B.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Moved to the university forums :smile: . The people here should be able to answer your questions :h:
Reply 2
The difficulty is impossible to measure, it depends how good you are at it and how easy you'd find it. Getting a B at GCSE is a pretty good indication that if you take it for A-Level you shouldn't be too out of your depth. At A-Level, I'd recommend any combination of maths, computing, physics, further maths (and if you don't fill up all your options from those, any other analytical subjects like chemistry, electronics, though I'd be very wary of taking IT.)

You need to be the kind of person who enjoys problem solving, has an analytical mind, as is comfortable with maths. The leap from A-Level is pretty average I think, there's a lot of contact hours so all the content of the A-Level is covered within the first few months, but you should be in good standing if you're planning on taking Computing at AS and A2.

The only person who can decide if it's worth it is you, really. The average graduate salary is higher than the average for all graduates, but there are a lot of areas you can go into (consulting, corporate finance and investment banking pay a LOT, whereas startups can pay almost nothing and then suddenly become successful, so it's more variable.)
Original post by Spratty

This is a matter of opinion and changes from person to person. Be prepared, however, for the transition from school to university. You will be expected to read around what has been taught in lectures, oftentimes without being asked. Plus projects will have to be completed, meaning you might acquire a learning curve and possibly build upon interpersonal skills (via group work).

Usually Maths, Computing would help too. A combination of that and other subjects (i.e. history or philosophy) should stand you in very good stead. Check the course prospectus of the university that you'll like to attend.
If your A-Levels don't seem suitable, you could always study software or computer games development at a local college, usually a university will accept these qualifications (e.g. a higher national) in place of results you earned from school.

You'll require a reasonable level of confidence, since you'll have to work in groups in order to complete projects. I wouldn't worry too much about this, however. If you can demonstrate a passion via your personal statement/interview then you should be fine, your personal skills should assimilate whilst you complete your degree (try joining clubs or societies - if anything they're a great way to make friends and build upon practical skills that can be put to use in a workplace).

Not terrifically since the first few modules assume little or no prior knowledge of computing science, but the workload will rise exponentially and soon - yes. Wait until the second trimester, you might feel the leap then (but you'll cope given the B grade you attained/might get).

Also..
IS IT WORTH IT? (How long would it take to get a job, and what kind of salary would it be?)

It really depends on what you want to do with your life, I'm in my third year of a BSc computing course and my ambitions have changed, somewhat. I'm now looking to pursue my original passion - teaching.
The jobs vary greatly, you could:
Be a software developer, junior wages are usually around £18k a year, but that will double and can possibly triple itself too. The sky is the limit if you choose to go freelance.
Web developer, same as above - sort of.
Network manager, although specific computer networking degrees do exist. I'd recommend electing specific modules if you would like to do this (preferably with CISCO accreditation).
Systems analyst.
Computer architect (processor designers), very very few jobs in this sector, but the wages are comparatively high.
Computing teacher, you can do a one-year PGDE once you earn your degree.
Games tester.
Technical support.
...but that's just a tiny snapshot.

If you would like to ask me anything then please, by all means!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Spratty
Also..

If you're passionate you won't find it too difficult and you won't get bored; most of the people who fail or drop out are the ones who thought they'd go to uni 'for the experience' and chose computing because they like using Facebook.

Computing as a degree title won't really require any specific A-Levels, computing might be useful to show your interest in the subject but it isn't necessary. Computer Science is a little bit different as it often includes a math unit (discrete maths, etc), so CS courses often want A-Level maths or sometimes physics (it depends on the institution).

Yes. I remember A-Level IT in particular; it was a joke. I was naturally quite adept and did very little work, the hardest thing I did in two years was make an Access database, which was kick-ass, but simple nonetheless. In a computing degree you'll probably do some programming, databases (not using a desktop DBMS), web design or web programming, networks, etc, and it will all be much more hands on. The workload will also be a lot higher than A-levels, and you're expected to read outside of uni.

Yes it is incredibly worth it, if you choose a degree with an industrial placement you can get a paid year-long internship at some amazing companies with a very high chance of being hired after. I read something the other day that said most Computing graduates are employed within 6 months and salaries tend to start in the early 20's for entry level positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by bordercollies10
This is a matter of opinion and changes from person to person. Be prepared, however, for the transition from school to university. You will be expected to read around what has been taught in lectures, oftentimes without being asked. Plus projects will have to be completed, meaning you might acquire a learning curve and possibly build upon interpersonal skills (via group work).

Usually Maths, Computing would help too. A combination of that and other subjects (i.e. history or philosophy) should stand you in very good stead. Check the course prospectus of the university that you'll like to attend.
If your A-Levels don't seem suitable, you could always study software or computer games development at a local college, usually a university will accept these qualifications (e.g. a higher national) in place of results you earned from school.

You'll require a reasonable level of confidence, since you'll have to work in groups in order to complete projects. I wouldn't worry too much about this, however. If you can demonstrate a passion via your personal statement/interview then you should be fine, your personal skills should assimilate whilst you complete your degree (try joining clubs or societies - if anything they're a great way to make friends and build upon practical skills that can be put to use in a workplace).

Not terrifically since the first few modules assume little or no prior knowledge of computing science, but the workload will rise exponentially and soon - yes. Wait until the second trimester, you might feel the leap then (but you'll cope given the B grade you attained/might get).

It really depends on what you want to do with your life, I'm in my third year of a BSc computing course and my ambitions have changed, somewhat. I'm now looking to pursue my original passion - teaching.
The jobs vary greatly, you could:
Be a software developer, junior wages are usually around £18k a year, but that will double and can possibly triple itself too. The sky is the limit if you choose to go freelance.
Web developer, same as above - sort of.
Network manager, although specific computer networking degrees do exist. I'd recommend electing specific modules if you would like to do this (preferably with CISCO accreditation).
Systems analyst.
Computer architect (processor designers), very very few jobs in this sector, but the wages are comparatively high.
Computing teacher, you can do a one-year PGDE once you earn your degree.
Games tester.
Technical support.
...but that's just a tiny snapshot.

If you would like to ask me anything then please, by all means!! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply in so much detail.
Much thanks :biggrin:
:crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending