koan.2teps
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey guys...First, do you think my title is suitable for my EE 'How has illegal file sharing affected young adults and what actions have been taken in attempt to prevent this activity?'

And also, I need some help here...can you guys post your opnions on how illegal file sharing such as BitTorrent have affected you? for example, watch less movies at the cinema?

Thanks
*Mike*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not sure many people will answer your last question since it would be admitting to breaking the law.

The title will be REALLY hard to colect research for.
koan.2teps
Yes thats the problem...I have to rely mostly on primary sources such as questionnaires. If I focus more on Music/ Media industry, would it be more of an economical issue rather than ITGS?

Hmm...so should i edit the last question a bit? Like ask how effective instead of what they have done?
dynaaamite
Report 13 years ago
to answer your question:
yes i download music from the internet and i dont think i will ever go and buy a cd in the store caauz whats the point of getting if you can download it for free on the net! i dont download movies that much cauz they are too big and my connection is too slow so i go to the cinema ;D
and about the illegal issue that someone mentioned here: i dont care, they will never catch me cauz i am just one in a million and i take appropriate measures to make sure that they will never catch me (like using proxys etc) so i dont ****ing care what those idiots tell me to do
koan.2teps
haha thanks for your reply dynaamite...plz any more people can sumbit some personal views of this issue?
andy_cole2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
dynaaamite ur like begging someone to find u. i think if a random FBI dude was surfing this right now he would definitly pour millions of US tax money into finding you and prosecuting u. to help him:

bomb bomb bomb bomb

there we go now if they serach for bomb online they'l find this place and ul be buuuurrrrnnnneeeeddd

in answer to your question i think that affected young adults is a bit stupid. firstly put teenagers cos thats what you mean :p: secondly erm no people would still go cinema to meet up etc. its not like i think now i dnt need to have friends i can download films at home. erm yeah i spose you coiuld argue that people buy more drugs because they dnt have to spend money on CDs or films. but that would be stupid :p: erm the stuff about what has been doen to combat it sounds good. i think something about public awareness would be more relevant 2bh. At what point am i breaking the law, what are my chances of being caught. etc you could incoporate primary reserach like that. im sure if u posted something in the music forum billions of people would respond. just set up a questionnnaire on one of those websites and good luck
koan.2teps
Hey, again, thanks for replies...I am deciding to change my EE title to this

"The rise of illegal file sharing on the Internet has significantly
altered the concepts of ownership, in terms of intellectual property, for
modern teenagers."

What do you guys thing about it? It narrows up the original title and I can prove / disprove it (more like a hypothesis) which makes it easier to write about.

Comments please thanks
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
erm taht sounds more like a philosophy essay then ICT GS, have u got a copy of the subject specific marks for ICT GS? cos erm i dunno how many boxes taht thing ticks lol. i think the stuff about preventing this in society was good but im not sure how far ur current title relates to like ICT.
trihhoang
Report 13 years ago
the following 3 things should always be in your title for a successful ITGS essay.

1. the IT system
2. the issue
3. the stakeholder

for your question "'How has illegal file sharing affected young adults and what actions have been taken in attempt to prevent this activity?"

You stated 1 (file sharing) and 3 (young adults) but the issue is not clearly presented.
koan.2teps
hmm ok..thanks..so what would be a relevent issue? Intellectual property? This is so frustrating lol and its due in when term starts and i dont even have a clue on how to do it!
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i spose you could do something on the current hoo haa about the european union fining microsoft. you could do the development of google. i dont know if you have access to past copies of the economist :p: but their it supplement a few months ago had loads of current ICT issues in it. march 11th to 17th if ur interested i could post some titles, from the stuff they talked about...?
koan.2teps
So another topic would be better? I mean, did i choose the wrong issue to focus on? :/
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
1. the IT system
2. the issue
3. the stakeholder

here is your list of three u got to tick the boxes, 2bh i dont study ITGS so i dunno wats good and wats not, dont u have a supervisor at ur school to guide u through sorting a question. erm neway i think someone needs to clarfiy wat these words mean in the points u have to include cos erm i dunno wat they mean :p: then i could probs help more

there were some articles recently about companies using myspace to find out about people from email addresses etc. i spoe the system would be myspace the issue is ethics of using it and the stakeholder would be the guy trying for a job but erm 4k words on that maybe not.... lol sorry
koan.2teps
thanks...plz can you tell me the names of these articles...i might be able to find them : ) think this topic is really hard to research..exp secondary resources
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you want info about myspace being used by firms? i think google would be the best place to look.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

is a 5 second search :p:

I think maybe you could branch out the topic something like myspace: good or bad, the ethics of myspace something like that.

then you could talk about an even wider range of topics such as paeidophilia. i believe someone from the times newspaper was asking questions on here about myspace a few weeks bag, u could search for that on here.

then you could branch out further still and consider (i cant rem the name of them) but like the whole area of hi5, myspace, xanga, there is a name for this group. lol enjoy :p:
koan.2teps
hmm...i did myspace for my IT portfolio already...don't think i can do it for my EE..how bout the relationship between violent video games and violent behavior?
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah that sounds cool! and u can do stuff the same provided the research question is different i think. cos for b & m pple did the same company just looked at different parts for EE/coursework... but yeah video games sound cool. there was that game that got taken off for being to violent, tag or something cant rem its name...
koan.2teps
so you think this is sth better to focus on rather than file sharing ? : )
koan.2teps
or is it too psychology ?
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol erm i feel obliged to reply as no one else has :p: like i said i never done itgs so erm im not an expert opinion. but erm i think it should be ok. it depends on the angle you use i guess. you should go from an ethical angle maybe (?) erm wait till someone who did/does the subject to give a comment lol. sounds ok to me though :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (25)
67.57%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
16.22%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
16.22%

Watched Threads