How to write a 1000-word analysis of an extract (Year 3 Phil Undergrad)

Watch this thread
FMarrese11
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So I've done weeks of research but I'm struggling to write this 1000-word analysis as I'm not really sure what the markers are looking for. I've done short, concise essays before but not focussing on an extract from a book by philosophers that we haven't even studied.

The essay question is:

Analyse the following extract in relation to the themes of enlightenment and modernity and with reference to Hegel and at least one other thinker on the course.

The extract is a passage from Adorno & Horkheimer's Dialectic of Enlightenment (The Concept of Enlightenment).

Since I'm tackling huge themes here - Hegel's philosophy is cryptic enough, concepts of enlightenment and modernity and I'm using Foucault's The Great Confinement...all of it seems too massive to put into 1000-words - I'm guessing I should skip an introduction. Really not sure how to do this!

Any suggestions?
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FMarrese11)
So I've done weeks of research but I'm struggling to write this 1000-word analysis as I'm not really sure what the markers are looking for. I've done short, concise essays before but not focussing on an extract from a book by philosophers that we haven't even studied.

The essay question is:

Analyse the following extract in relation to the themes of enlightenment and modernity and with reference to Hegel and at least one other thinker on the course.

The extract is a passage from Adorno & Horkheimer's Dialectic of Enlightenment (The Concept of Enlightenment).

Since I'm tackling huge themes here - Hegel's philosophy is cryptic enough, concepts of enlightenment and modernity and I'm using Foucault's The Great Confinement...all of it seems too massive to put into 1000-words - I'm guessing I should skip an introduction. Really not sure how to do this!

Any suggestions?
I know nothing of the topics, but at least a short 3 liner, saying the bare points you will address in the comment will suffice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.62%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.65%
No (147)
39.73%

Watched Threads