Applicants per place Watch

dobedobedo
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello there!

Just wondering, does anyone know about the number of applicants per place to different medical schools, or just medical schools that may recieve loads of applicants compared with others? Is the number of applicants relative to the number of places ( do smaller medical schools tend to get less applicants than larger ones?)

thanks

Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There are some figures on this site (provided by the medical schools themselves so the should be reliable): http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=12
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
There are some figures on this site (provided by the medical schools themselves so the should be reliable): http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=12
that links for graduate places

this is for school leavers:

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nope - there are figures for both on there and it's more full than they undergrad only list for some reason - hence the fact I posted it
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was about to say that BSMS had about 16 but it is already down on that site
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nope - there are figures for both on there and it's more full than they undergrad only list for some reason - hence the fact I posted it
well its clearer on the list i posted :eviltongu And I think both those lists are wrong anyway :cool:
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
well its clearer on the list i posted :eviltongu And I think both those lists are wrong anyway :cool:
[intregued]Hannah (one of the site owners) is 100% adamant that they come from the medical schools admissions dept themselves (that's why there are not figures for all - some didn't respond) - how do you know better than those guys?[/intregued]
iolaus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That surprises me, I would have thought there were more applicants to each place than that (more as I thought it would be a more popular course than midwifery which has 30 applicants to 1 place - but then I guess more doctors are needed so there are more places)
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[intregued]Hannah (one of the site owners) is 100% adamant that they come from the medical schools admissions dept themselves (that's why there are not figures for all - some didn't respond) - how do you know better than those guys?[/intregued]
intrigued?

well I don't think that's for 2006 entry (i.e. recent) for a start.

Also quite confusing because there's a difference between applicant to place ratio and applicant to offer ratio, which when wannabe med students look at the table, is what they wanna know.

So although there may be 27 applicants to a place at Soton. There might only be 5 applicants for every offer.*

There might be 15 to a place at Hull. There might be 10 applicants for every offer.*

(* note: this is made up to illustrate a point)
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The figures are still true figures though - and are more upto date than anything you'll get in a book - including the BMAs Insiders Guide to Medicial School...
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nope, think you'll find I'm right.

Your graduate table contains number of "Applicants per place (total including school leavers and graduates)" and "Graduate Applications Per Graduate Place" (taken from the "symbol keys" on your table)

What we want is the table I posted, with applicants per place for school leavers only.

Note, this was updated in 2005, thus could be quite inaccurate.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The figures are still true figures though - and are more upto date than anything you'll get in a book - including the BMAs Insiders Guide to Medicial School...
yeah, true for 2005 entry. And not of much use when trying to find the places with least competition for offers.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
yeah, true for 2005 entry. And not of much use when trying to find the places with least competition for offers.
Well, for a start you would have to be a mind reader to see into the future

Application numbers vary wildly year on year. You can guarentee that this years hot choice will become next years cold custard, as people generally will not apply there if they are trying to play the numbers game...
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, for a start you would have to be a mind reader to see into the future

Application numbers vary wildly year on year. You can guarentee that this years hot choice will become next years cold custard, as people generally will not apply there if they are trying to play the numbers game...
exactly. so the table's a bit useless. i rest my case
NathanM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Edinburgh are saying in their 2007 prospectus that they get 15 applicants per place. They don't say which year those figures are for though.
tokay
Report 12 years ago
My lady friend told me on her trip to york that there was a quite incredable 22 applicants per place, much higher than most med course.
dobedobedo
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Wow, thanks for the replies. Seems likes its gonna be almost impossible to get a place! Does re applying after you get your A2 results give you a better chance?
Blates as
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dobedobedo)
Wow, thanks for the replies. Seems likes its gonna be almost impossible to get a place! Does re applying after you get your A2 results give you a better chance?
Only if you're putting the year-out to good use...
fairy spangles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At newcastle/durham there are meant to be 10 people to a place. Or at least thats what we got told once!!
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dobedobedo)
Its not impossible to get a place I remeber hearing the figure 40% for the number of applicants who get offers nationally thrown around but don't quote me on that. I would advice applying before A2 because if won't do you any harm and if you don't get an offer you can always reapply after you get your results.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?