The Student Room Group

Help on edexcel spreadsheet please?:) x

Okay so tbh I really hate ICT and I have to do ICT as part of my law course.I just need help on these questions please.It's only a pass and a fail and i have been stuck on this for ages!You know those subjects you don't understand the point of? Yeah that-.-. I have 2 other assignments due and I dont have time for this.My teacher is no help either.-.- Thank you so much!:smile: I've done most of them. http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/78286750@N06/11277406094/
TASK 9
In the column Fuel Economy column, write a VLOOK Formula to look up using the codes from the Rating table.
This task provides evidence for (LO2.3)TASK 10
In the column Fuel Economy tax column, write a VLOOK Formula to look up the fuel rating using the Fuel table TASK 16
In the column for cost of fuel economy tax, calculate the Cost of the fuel economy tax based in
the list price of the car. Enter your calculations in the Fuel Economy Tax Column
In the column for Total payable, calculate the total payable by adding the List Price to the Cost of fuel economy tax
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Jennienarwin
Okay so tbh I really hate ICT and I have to do ICT as part of my law course.I just need help on these questions please.It's only a pass and a fail and i have been stuck on this for ages!You know those subjects you don't understand the point of? Yeah that-.-. I have 2 other assignments due and I dont have time for this.My teacher is no help either.-.- Thank you so much!:smile: I've done most of them. http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/78286750@N06/11277406094/
TASK 9
In the column Fuel Economy column, write a VLOOK Formula to look up using the codes from the Rating table.
This task provides evidence for (LO2.3)TASK 10
In the column Fuel Economy tax column, write a VLOOK Formula to look up the fuel rating using the Fuel table TASK 16
In the column for cost of fuel economy tax, calculate the Cost of the fuel economy tax based in
the list price of the car. Enter your calculations in the Fuel Economy Tax Column
In the column for Total payable, calculate the total payable by adding the List Price to the Cost of fuel economy tax

Hi I might be able to help you but when I clicked on your link it just took me to the flickr sign in screen - I could not see the layout of your spreadsheet!

Are you able to upload your example spreadsheet to a post here (as an xls or xlsx attachment)?

Have you used VLOOKUP formulas before?
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Hi I might be able to help you but when I clicked on your link it just took me to the flickr sign in screen - I could not see the layout of your spreadsheet!

Are you able to upload your example spreadsheet to a post here (as an xls or xlsx attachment)?

Have you used VLOOKUP formulas before?

Ohh sorry about that..I'll upload a picture instead if that's okay. And no we haven't learnt that, my teacher is absolutely useless.-.- Thank you so so much for your help :smile: x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Ohh sorry about that..I'll upload a picture instead if that's okay. And no we haven't learnt that, my teacher is absolutely useless.-.- Thank you so so much for your help :smile: x

Hi, it looks from the picture that you're using Microsoft Works rather than Excel - is that correct?

I haven't actually used Works before although it looks like I have a copy installed on my laptop from ages ago - I'm hoping it works very similar to Excel!!

Does your file contain a Ratings table in it already?
Reply 4
Original post by davros
Hi, it looks from the picture that you're using Microsoft Works rather than Excel - is that correct?

I haven't actually used Works before although it looks like I have a copy installed on my laptop from ages ago - I'm hoping it works very similar to Excel!!

Does your file contain a Ratings table in it already?

Lol yes that's right but I just download excel cause it'll be much easier.Sorry about that,hope it's much more clearer now.:smile:
Reply 5
Lol yes that's right but I just download excel cause it'll be much easier.Sorry about that,hope it's much more clearer now.:smile:

OK, so let's start with the 1st question - you need a VLOOKUP formula to bring back the Fuel Economy in column D for each rating code in column C of the first sheet.

In Excel you need to put a formula like this in cell D5:
=VLOOKUP(C5,Sheet2!$A$3:colondollar:B$6,2,FALSE)
You can then copy this formula into the cells below in the same column.

I suggest you have a look at the VLOOKUP function in the Excel help to see what it's doing - if you use the Insert Function facility it will actually insert a template for you and let you select the cells that go into the function.

Basically VLOOKUP takes 4 inputs: the thing you're looking up (e.g. the value "A" or the cell reference of that value like C5); the table where you get the values from (in this case range A3:B6 on the Sheet2 worksheet); the column containing the value you want (in this case column 2); and a value of FALSE (for an exact match) or TRUE (if you're trying to find a closest match in a range of sorted numbers).

Give this a go to start with in Excel and see if you can get it to work, then you can experiment a bit
Reply 6
Original post by davros
OK, so let's start with the 1st question - you need a VLOOKUP formula to bring back the Fuel Economy in column D for each rating code in column C of the first sheet.

In Excel you need to put a formula like this in cell D5:
=VLOOKUP(C5,Sheet2!$A$3:colondollar:B$6,2,FALSE)
You can then copy this formula into the cells below in the same column.

I suggest you have a look at the VLOOKUP function in the Excel help to see what it's doing - if you use the Insert Function facility it will actually insert a template for you and let you select the cells that go into the function.

Basically VLOOKUP takes 4 inputs: the thing you're looking up (e.g. the value "A" or the cell reference of that value like C5); the table where you get the values from (in this case range A3:B6 on the Sheet2 worksheet); the column containing the value you want (in this case column 2); and a value of FALSE (for an exact match) or TRUE (if you're trying to find a closest match in a range of sorted numbers).

Give this a go to start with in Excel and see if you can get it to work, then you can experiment a bit

Thank you,you're actually amazing!But the first formula says 'Error'?
Reply 7
Thank you,you're actually amazing!But the first formula says 'Error'?

My version of Excel (Excel 2007) doesn't seem to like your file very much - it keeps forcing me
to repair the file whenever I open it!! I don't know if this is removing anything that you have typed in, but the value showing in cell D5 is coming up as #VALUE! If this is what you meant, you can just type a formula over the top of it.

If you had some other error, can you save your file as a standard Excel file (xls or xlsx) - you should have a Save As option in Excel that will let you do this - before uploading it here?

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by davros
My version of Excel (Excel 2007) doesn't seem to like your file very much - it keeps forcing me
to repair the file whenever I open it!! I don't know if this is removing anything that you have typed in, but the value showing in cell D5 is coming up as #VALUE! If this is what you meant, you can just type a formula over the top of it.

If you had some other error, can you save your file as a standard Excel file (xls or xlsx) - you should have a Save As option in Excel that will let you do this - before uploading it here?

Thanks

Yep I've got it! Thank you soo much for your help :smile: x
Reply 9
Yep I've got it! Thank you soo much for your help :smile: x

No problem - glad you've got it sorted now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending