Turn on thread page Beta

Is AS/A2 level chem hard? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is AS/A2 level chem very hard? Give me some details/expereinces and how hard it is. Is it boring too?

ReputationRep:
    It depends, some people find it hard, whilst others find it easy.

Personally its been a good two years for me for chemistry, having just finished it all the way to A2, I didnt have many problems, and still managed to get an A in the first AS module, when I missed the first 5 weeks of lessons!

You dont have to learn as much as for some other subjects, but you need to have a good memory when it comes to reactions, as theres quite a few technical terms which are pretty similar, and easy to get mixed up.

Its definatly not a boring subject, although at times I guess it could be. Its quite interesting learning about it all, and you get to do lots of fun experiments (such as one, we made a Dye, which gives lots of swirly colours :p:)

So definatly worth doing so, and people will think your bloody smart as its supposedly one of the hardest a-levels

ReputationRep:
    AS is okay I didn't think that it would be hard so I never revised not a good idea it's not like GCSE where you don't need to revise for it, you have to work! Lol well I learnt my lesson well I just found one topic boring methods of analysis and detection in OCR A2 because the book was dull and no coloured pictures they have an affect on the way you look at it. I wouldn't say it was the hardest A - level physics will take that crown chemistry is nothing after you get the basics though a fair few people dropped it after AS because of foundation and the moles stuff I was like that but I just worked at it and I could get a B in the end yay!

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily think that Chemistry is hard in itself, but it is hard work. If no work is done in Chemistry, there is quite a high likelyhood that you will crash and burn. Learning is a small part of Chemistry, but the bulk of the work is generally the theory behind how things work. Having said that, I work far too hard for my own good, and there are still a few lingering equations which I have yet to commit to memory!! There are just so many! Plus their conditions, and occasionally mechanisms (i.e. learning why the reaction happens on a molecular level, often involving transfer of electrons, and lots of diagrams with curly arrows!). AS work is slightly dry, and I'm more than ready to move onto the harder, more interesting chemistry next year. Plus, as mentioned before, it's considered to be one of the hardest A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    haha.. A-Level Chemistry - probably the hardest A-Level there is, together with Maths! (probably more than Maths actually)

ReputationRep:
    what careers can I go into if I take only Chemistry at AS/A level?

Thanks for all replies.

ReputationRep:
    Main one is research really. in response to your OP. People only find things hard if they havent revised it. In chemistry alevel you almost guarantee yourself a D by walking into the exam knowing all of the reactions...and the reactions (personally i love organic!) are easy to learn once youve gone over them. Because in every paper to do with organic chem about 15 marks are devoted entirely to organic chem which is about two and a half grade maybe even three depending on boundries

ReputationRep:
    It's easy enough if you like sciences, but I found the course I did (Salters) a bit on the boring side. It wasn't as bad as it could have been though. Now all the exams have finished, I feel a lot more warmly towards the subject than I ever did whilst I studied it!

ReputationRep:
    I would say that it is pretty hard yes.

ReputationRep:
    arsenal fan, chem isnt very hard, you just need to put effort in and have extra reading. If you do have any problems then were all here to help you out. Also, a bit of extra reading is good. I could suggest a good chem As book if you like.

ReputationRep:
    in my view it depends a bit on your course aswell, but its not too bad, though its the hardest a level im doing! the only problem is there's so much to remember!

ReputationRep:
    I found chemistry the hardest of my A2s! But there are some good revision guides out there!

ReputationRep:
    I've only done AS so far and its been a doddle. Its the easiest of my subjects (others maths, bio, phys) and had the least workload by a long shot. There are a fair few reactions to learn, but everything fits together nicely; its mainly logical.
    If there were better job prospects i'd consider studying it further.

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT take it - it is f**king HARD, that is the only word to describe it - it is unbeleivable how hard it actually is and thats no joke, look at my face - I AM SERIOUS! I'd say the minimum GCSE grade in Science is definitely an A*, and even with an A* it will still be unbeleivably difficult (like it was for me). However, I was forced to take it to get into the degree course i wanted to do at uni as it was a compulsory subject for the course - BUT if you can avoid it.......TRUST ME, AVOID IT!

After a few months I do not wanna see you on TSR making a new thread entitled "Chemistry A level is sooooooo hard!" like may people have in the past if you look through the chemistry section.

Alternatively, worse comes to worse, I'd say take it for AS and drop it for A2 - but thats if your really willing to take on a seriously killer challenge!

EDIT: Sorry for the rant, I just felt the need to emphasise the difficulty of Chemistry A level!

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for all replies.

So basically it is not worth it to take only Chem, and ditch bio and physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Priya*)
    DO NOT take it - it is f**king HARD, that is the only word to describe it - it is unbeleivable how hard it actually is and thats no joke, look at my face - I AM SERIOUS! I'd say the minimum GCSE grade in Science is definitely an A*, and even with an A* it will still be unbeleivably difficult (like it was for me). However, I was forced to take it to get into the degree course i wanted to do at uni as it was a compulsory subject for the course - BUT if you can avoid it.......TRUST ME, AVOID IT!

After a few months I do not wanna see you on TSR making a new thread entitled "Chemistry A level is sooooooo hard!" like may people have in the past if you look through the chemistry section.

Alternatively, worse comes to worse, I'd say take it for AS and drop it for A2 - but thats if your really willing to take on a seriously killer challenge!

EDIT: Sorry for the rant, I just felt the need to emphasise the difficulty of Chemistry A level!
    You found it difficult, and fair enough if you want to share that with people asking for advice, but you should at least try and appreciate that not everyone will find it difficult, some people will love it and find it not too hard at all.

ReputationRep:
    I do love it! Well i used to at AS. Chemistry is by far THE most interesting science IMO. It's just that this interesting-ness at AS is actually a really sly cover up concealing a **** hard A2 year!

ReputationRep:
    i actually enjoyed chem..if i dont get into med after my gap year i'll hopefully be doing pharmacy which i heard has quite a bit of chem init which should be fun

ReputationRep:
    A2 chem is a lot more interesting than AS. You'll only find it difficult if you don't keep up with the work. Like with all subjects, the more time you spend working on it, the easier you will find it. IMO chemistry is a lot more interesting than biology. AS physics is far more interesting than AS chemistry though. (All AQA by the way)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Chemistry may be hard .. but so are diamonds.
    Chemistry contains, within its content, the meaning of life ... if you dig deep enough ...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2006

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.