The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of uni? Please help

Whilst I've enjoyed some aspects of university, I've generally been quite unhappy. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly, I'm studying Politics at Bristol uni and have been getting firsts in my essays so I'm not struggling in that aspect. I think it may be partly due to living in pretty **** accommodation and not having a really close group of friends. This combined with being very far from home (Belfast), is making me not feel 100% certain I made the right decision.
I received my results on a Thursday and on the next Monday I got an offer from TCD to study History and Political Science. I didn't really know what to choose so ended up just going with Bristol. I'm thinking now I would be happier living a bit closer to home and studying History alongside politics; combined with a bit of a break (sort of wish I had taken a gap year) and a fresh start.
I've been unhappy for a while and was thinking there was no real solution, until this idea came to me to drop out and try again in Dublin. Does anyone have any advice? :frown:
Which halls are you in?
Reply 2
Which halls are you in babe?
Reply 3
Any actual advice? I don't think my halls is relevant.
Original post by Anonymous
Whilst I've enjoyed some aspects of university, I've generally been quite unhappy. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly, I'm studying Politics at Bristol uni and have been getting firsts in my essays so I'm not struggling in that aspect. I think it may be partly due to living in pretty **** accommodation and not having a really close group of friends. This combined with being very far from home (Belfast), is making me not feel 100% certain I made the right decision.
I received my results on a Thursday and on the next Monday I got an offer from TCD to study History and Political Science. I didn't really know what to choose so ended up just going with Bristol. I'm thinking now I would be happier living a bit closer to home and studying History alongside politics; combined with a bit of a break (sort of wish I had taken a gap year) and a fresh start.
I've been unhappy for a while and was thinking there was no real solution, until this idea came to me to drop out and try again in Dublin. Does anyone have any advice? :frown:

Have you tried joining any societies? There's so many people to meet in Bristol, particularly international students who are probably feeling pretty similar to you. Also try keeping yourself busy by finding out more about what opportunities there are out there for you over next summer - charity projects which might involve fundraising or summer internships? Get yourself out there and make the most of the big city! :smile: you're in Bristol now, so don't look back at the past. If you're really that unhappy then drop out but only as a last resort. Try and make the best of your situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Any actual advice? I don't think my halls is relevant.

Well if you are at a catered hall or in stoke bishop, then one would hope you would have had a nicer time. It might be worth asking to change to one of these halls, it does happen.

At the very least, you should join some societies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Well , just be honest and true. no can can harm you.
Move halls or transfer to near home (Only around a month left of this UCAS cycle so make your mind up quick)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending