Great news for IB over A-levels...for once! Watch

andy_cole2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
ok i spoke to one of the senior members of staff today. i posted somethign similar to this a fwe weeks ago. but anyway i foudn out today that IB points ahve been converted to UCAS points, all i know at the moment is taht:

7: 130 points
6: 110
5: 90

i think thats correct 130 definitly for a 7. standards are apparently going to be equivelant to 2/3 of a HL (points above). erm yeah il give more aparently an official announcement is coming out in a few days. wooo

lol aside of this TOK and EE count for something, i dont konw exactly what.i think he said a HL but then that could just be wishful thinking.

yeah so erm anyone taht is sceptial dont bother but wtih some approximate rounding my points are:
730 points
HL 776
SL 766
and 130 points for TOK and EE, im thinking positive :p:
whats yours?
Leisure17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I may be slow on the uptake, but what use is the conversion of the IB into UCAS points? Most unis give an amount of IB points they want you to have, same as they say AAA or ABB etc.
Please enlighten me.
Marius_Leitdorf
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
For example, the University of Reading offers scholarships basing on the amount of UCAS points you get... And for me it proved impossible to find out what IB results they want for the scholarships.
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
but now with UCAS points in IB dun dun dun!
dan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, having talked to an admissions tutor at Cambridge university, it's apparant that the IB is (at least at cambridge) regarded much higher than the A levels.

Also, when the A level students apply to such universities, should they be looking for AAA, they will not accept any old AAA student. They look at the overall UCAS score. So if the student gets a 480 when they are looking at 480+ they may not entertain their application. However if they do better then they will be more inclined to give an offer.

With the IB, if you get the points, there is no argument.

With the unis, they take into account how GOOD your A grade is. Getting the grade does not mean you will be gauranteed an offer.
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
dan ur not playing the game :p: dan would have the same predicted UCAS as me if he PLAYED PROPERLY lol neway yeah dam a-level skives to hell :P:
dan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Another point is that finally Universities can properly compare the two exams. At the moment they get the IB points score and the UCAS score for A levels. As soon as the UCAS score for IB is actually introduced it will be so much easier to get a fair picture of who is performing better.

choca_holick
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Hmmmmm, only a fair way of comparing A levels and IB if the UCAS tariff points they're assigning to IB grades are fair! I'm skeptical, I'll just leave it like that! But I see why; I've applied for a scholarship at Leeds, and it states how many UCAS points you need; 3As or equivalant, but there's no IB points decided!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Do you have any savings?