The Student Room Group

Bath or LSE for Accounting and Finance?

I have offers from both but I'm not sure which to go for.. Can you guys list the positives and negatives of each?

Also got an offer from Warwick- does that change anything?

Thanks!
Original post by stirkee
I have offers from both but I'm not sure which to go for.. Can you guys list the positives and negatives of each?

Also got an offer from Warwick- does that change anything?

Thanks!

Reputation-wise, both overall and for finance, LSE by a long, long way.

But then you need to ask yourself, what do you want to do in four years time?

But would you enjoy living in London or somewhere like Bath?

I think for future prospects LSE is the better option, but then you may be able to get to the same destination by performing well at Bath.

I'd place Warwick above Bath as well, despite the latter's industrial placement.
Reply 2
I'm in the same position
I have no idea how to decide between the three
but I'm leaning more towards either Bath or Warwick because I prefer the campus university atmosphere
Plus I live in london and if I did go to LSE I would have to live at home

Pro's Bath
-currently no.1 for accounting and finance
-seems like they have good teaching staff and reviews are mostly positive
-gorgeous area to live
-medium sized campus
-one of the best unis for sporting equipment
-offers really good placements
-really good accommodation

Con's Bath
-bath fluctuates a lot on the league table
-the area is expensive as is the accommodation
-doesn't seem to have the same reputation as Warwick or LSE
-not very multicultural (my friend went there and felt a bit uncomfortable)

Pro's Warwick
-still pretty high up
-more multicultural
-reputable uni
-russell group uni
-has a castle nearby so still a decent area
-wealthy uni
-big campus

Cons Warwick
-outside the campus is coventry which isn't the most exciting place

Pro's LSE
-its the best out of the three on the leagues tables ( has been third in the UK for about 3 years)
-Russell group uni
-has a really good reputation
-its in London which is a major financial city
-its in London so theres always something cool going on

Con LSE
-its a very competitive environment which makes it a bit more difficult to make friends
-terrible accommodation
-not a campus uni
-Londons a very expensive place to live

If this isn’t enough I recommend using http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses but make sure you look at sample sizes

Let me know which uni you decide :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TheEnd
I'm in the same position
I have no idea how to decide between the three
but I'm leaning more towards either Bath or Warwick because I prefer the campus university atmosphere
Plus I live in london and if I did go to LSE I would have to live at home

Pro's Bath
-currently no.1 for accounting and finance
-seems like they have good teaching staff and reviews are mostly positive
-gorgeous area to live
-medium sized campus
-one of the best unis for sporting equipment
-offers really good placements
-really good accommodation

Con's Bath
-bath fluctuates a lot on the league table
-the area is expensive as is the accommodation
-doesn't seem to have the same reputation as Warwick or LSE
-not very multicultural (my friend went there and felt a bit uncomfortable)

Pro's Warwick
-still pretty high up
-more multicultural
-reputable uni
-russell group uni
-has a castle nearby so still a decent area
-wealthy uni
-big campus

Cons Warwick
-outside the campus is coventry which isn't the most exciting place

Pro's LSE
-its the best out of the three on the leagues tables ( has been third in the UK for about 3 years)
-Russell group uni
-has a really good reputation
-its in London which is a major financial city
-its in London so theres always something cool going on

Con LSE
-its a very competitive environment which makes it a bit more difficult to make friends
-terrible accommodation
-not a campus uni
-Londons a very expensive place to live

If this isn’t enough I recommend using http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses but make sure you look at sample sizes

Let me know which uni you decide :smile:

its so hard to choose haha.. I think I'll go and look round them again. Right now I'm swinging more towards LSE simply because I feel I'd be silly to turn down an offer from LSE but I'm so unsure. Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by stirkee
its so hard to choose haha.. I think I'll go and look round them again. Right now I'm swinging more towards LSE simply because I feel I'd be silly to turn down an offer from LSE but I'm so unsure. Thanks for your help :smile:

your welcome :smile: I'm feeling unsure too
but I guess theres no rush yet
Reply 5
Speaking as someone who's currently at the LSE studying A&F, and as someone who has also received offers from Warwick and Bath (Sandwich course) for the aforementioned course, I'd like to provide some input. A&F at the LSE is fantastic - but this depends largely on your attitude towards learning. Many of the lectures for our first year has been deemed by many as "boring", "dull" and "useless" but, truth to be told, these lectures are actually fantastic if you have a positive learning outlook rather than a pessimistic mindset. What you put in is what you get out and these lecturers explain extremely insightful views on various subjects; not to mention all these lecturers are extremely open during office hours.

With regards to the competitive environment - yes it's extremely competitive here and one may find the level of competitiveness extremely stressful. However take this in a positive light and view it as a chance to learn from others. Being surrounded by extremely bright, competitive people may be a good thing as it'll push you harder and give you a drive to focus on your studies. However if "going to the pub/bar/club and getting absolutely wasted at least 3 times a week" is part of your required weekly routine, then maybe we have some issues.

Furthermore LSE is at the center of London, and thus you'll be in the center of one of the largest financial centres in the world. Many firms come visit the LSE for case studies, presentations, career recruitment, etc. And as a student at the LSE you will have access to all of these on almost a weekly basis.

----
If you're interested to know - I put Warwick as my insurance as I felt that the future potential of warwick to be pretty good. Warwick is a fast, growing university and many firms to visit Warwick as well. But given it's a campus uni, it didn't really suit me as I'm more of a city dweller.

And for why I rejected Bath, it was simply because I personally felt that Warwick would have been a better insurance choice.
-----

If you have any questions about LSEs A&F degree, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Reply 6
Original post by BananaPie
Speaking as someone who's currently at the LSE studying A&F, and as someone who has also received offers from Warwick and Bath (Sandwich course) for the aforementioned course, I'd like to provide some input. A&F at the LSE is fantastic - but this depends largely on your attitude towards learning. Many of the lectures for our first year has been deemed by many as "boring", "dull" and "useless" but, truth to be told, these lectures are actually fantastic if you have a positive learning outlook rather than a pessimistic mindset. What you put in is what you get out and these lecturers explain extremely insightful views on various subjects; not to mention all these lecturers are extremely open during office hours.

With regards to the competitive environment - yes it's extremely competitive here and one may find the level of competitiveness extremely stressful. However take this in a positive light and view it as a chance to learn from others. Being surrounded by extremely bright, competitive people may be a good thing as it'll push you harder and give you a drive to focus on your studies. However if "going to the pub/bar/club and getting absolutely wasted at least 3 times a week" is part of your required weekly routine, then maybe we have some issues.

Furthermore LSE is at the center of London, and thus you'll be in the center of one of the largest financial centres in the world. Many firms come visit the LSE for case studies, presentations, career recruitment, etc. And as a student at the LSE you will have access to all of these on almost a weekly basis.

----
If you're interested to know - I put Warwick as my insurance as I felt that the future potential of warwick to be pretty good. Warwick is a fast, growing university and many firms to visit Warwick as well. But given it's a campus uni, it didn't really suit me as I'm more of a city dweller.

And for why I rejected Bath, it was simply because I personally felt that Warwick would have been a better insurance choice.
-----

If you have any questions about LSEs A&F degree, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for your reply, its really helpful.

I have a few questions if you don't me asking:

-do you think that competitive environment at LSE made it difficult to make friends?
-which parts of the accounting and finance course do you find interesting?
-did you find the assessments/exams really challenging (is their a big gap between a levels and uni)?

Thanks again for all your help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by TheEnd
Thank you so much for your reply, its really helpful.

I have a few questions if you don't me asking:

-do you think that competitive environment at LSE made it difficult to make friends?
-which parts of the accounting and finance course do you find interesting?
-did you find the assessments/exams really challenging (is their a big gap between a levels and uni)?

Thanks again for all your help :smile:

The friends bit is hard to say because it depends on you. You'll no doubt be able to find a fantastic bunch of people to hang out with at the LSE. This is true whether or not you're an international.

To be honest I found everything interesting, but this will vary differently per person. I'm only one trimester in (Starting the second semester in Jan) so I can't really say much about the course. Many of my mates considered the accounting lecture a bit boring but, to be honest, it was pretty interesting. As I mentioned before, it's more on your mindset and attitutde towards learning than anything else. If you were specifically asking about the A&F course (AC100), then I'm afraid I haven't done enough of it to give you a good response.

With regards to academics, well, A&F is taught from scratch. Your choice of mathematics and statistics will depend on your mathematical background and willingness to learn. Economics is a step up above A-Level but shouldn't be too hard to grasp. As I'm only a first year I haven't had my exams yet so I can't comment on that I'm afraid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by BananaPie
The friends bit is hard to say because it depends on you. You'll no doubt be able to find a fantastic bunch of people to hang out with at the LSE. This is true whether or not you're an international.

To be honest I found everything interesting, but this will vary differently per person. I'm only one trimester in (Starting the second semester in Jan) so I can't really say much about the course. Many of my mates considered the accounting lecture a bit boring but, to be honest, it was pretty interesting. As I mentioned before, it's more on your mindset and attitutde towards learning than anything else. If you were specifically asking about the A&F course (AC100), then I'm afraid I haven't done enough of it to give you a good response.

With regards to academics, well, A&F is taught from scratch. Your choice of mathematics and statistics will depend on your mathematical background and willingness to learn. Economics is a step up above A-Level but shouldn't be too hard to grasp. As I'm only a first year I haven't had my exams yet so I can't comment on that I'm afraid.

Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending