Tell me what you think of these cars for reliability.

Watch
Misnomer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I have just passed my test and need to get on the road quickly but first of all I need to buy a car. Currently, I am thinking of getting either a used Skoda Fabia, Vauxhall Corsa, Ford Fiesta or a Ford Focus. Can you tell me which you would trust the most?

Part of me is wanting to buy a new Vauxhall and pay back £150 a month as you get Lifetime Warranty (up to 100,000 miles) and free insurance for the year and you also know that the car will be in good condition.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 6 years ago
Ignoring model years or engine choices, and concerned only with reliability, I would pick the Fabia.

You're better off googling the exact models you're looking at to find known faults reported on owners club forums though.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd go for the Fabia too. Pretty much a Polo/Golf without the dub tax.
Y333EEE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get the Fabia, I've upgraded last week from a Fiesta to an Octavia (the Fabia's bigger brother) and it is brilliant! Plus, with VAG cars (Audi, Skoda, Seat and VW) they use the same engines across the range. I drove several other VAG cars before the Octavia and stepping from a Ford into one of those you feel the difference in quality straightaway! I personally would avoid new cars because as soon as you drive it out the showroom they lose something like 30% of their value
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Misnomer)
Hi,

I have just passed my test and need to get on the road quickly but first of all I need to buy a car. Currently, I am thinking of getting either a used Skoda Fabia, Vauxhall Corsa, Ford Fiesta or a Ford Focus. Can you tell me which you would trust the most?

Part of me is wanting to buy a new Vauxhall and pay back £150 a month as you get Lifetime Warranty (up to 100,000 miles) and free insurance for the year and you also know that the car will be in good condition.
Purely out of those, I'd recommend the Focus. Great car.
The Jargen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get the Fabia mate Mk1, more reliable than the rest of them.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

Are all of these new cars? Can you also state the engine size to it otherwise it's difficult to say.

The Fiesta, if you follow Norwegian forums you will find that the Fiesta is reliable but not all that reliable when equipped with the 1.0l engine.
SAS13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i would never ever ever ever go anywhere near a vauxhall
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

Fabia................are you planning on getting a brand new car?
And how old are you? Because the "free" insurance deals come with conditions, one of which is age.

Also reliability with the Fabia is a general viewpoint of all the fabia's, so here and there you'll find the unreliably one due to being defective, being looked after poorly, etc.
Aay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Fabia................are you planning on getting a brand new car?
And how old are you? Because the "free" insurance deals come with conditions, one of which is age.

Also reliability with the Fabia is a general viewpoint of all the fabia's, so here and there you'll find the unreliably one due to being defective, being looked after poorly, etc.
What Iqbal said, for free insurance you usually got to be over a certain age- think its 21?
Hi,

^

+ Yeah defos fabia here, essentially a VW.
Misnomer
Rep:
?
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. To answer a question, I am 24 years old and will be turning 25 in January.

I have now gone off the idea of a Vauxhall Corsa as I have heard bad things about them and do not want to be stuck paying for it long term.

I will be going the used car route, preferably nothing more than £1,200. At the moment I am looking at a Nissan Primera 1,6 1998 Equation for £900 which has 69,000 miles (petrol) with MOT next year - would this be a good buy? I am also thinking about Nissan Micra or the Nissan Almera.

I am now planning to avoid Ford Fiesta and Focus as I have been told that they consume lots of fuel really quickly.

Ideally, I would love a Skoda Fabia but they are too expensive for me unfortunately!
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. To answer a question, I am 24 years old and will be turning 25 in January.

I have now gone off the idea of a Vauxhall Corsa as I have heard bad things about them and do not want to be stuck paying for it long term.

I will be going the used car route, preferably nothing more than £1,200. At the moment I am looking at a Nissan Primera 1,6 1998 Equation for £900 which has 69,000 miles (petrol) with MOT next year - would this be a good buy? I am also thinking about Nissan Micra or the Nissan Almera.

I am now planning to avoid Ford Fiesta and Focus as I have been told that they consume lots of fuel really quickly.

Ideally, I would love a Skoda Fabia but they are too expensive for me unfortunately!
:lolwut: Fabia's aren't expensive at all, in fact they are quite cheap..........despite essentially being a Polo underneath. The name badge seems to make so cheap, but still the next best alternative to a Polo for those on a budget.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...18rs?logcode=p
The Jargen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mate stay away from the Primera and Almera.
Misnomer
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Jargen)
Mate stay away from the Primera and Almera.
Can you give me a reason as I really need to know why?
The Jargen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can you give me a reason as I really need to know why?
Get a car you'll be able to sell once you're done with it.
bellatrixb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I drive my mum's fabia, and we haven't had any problems with it (we've had it for 2 years)- it's also REALLY cheap to insure (well, relative to other cars!)
LukeM90
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
arent fabias good cost wise?

that aside I have a mate who has had a fiesta for about 4 years now, and hes an absolute tool, drives like a plank and has scratched and bumped the hell outa the car, as well as done donuts several times in winter and reving the arse out of it lol

that makes me believe the car is fairly good, to survive that kinda torment xD but then I dont know much about car mechanics/functions etc
kumori
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I love corsas I had one as my first car, and less things broke on it than my newer cars that I've had for less time. Too bad you took it off the list

Posted from TSR Mobile
SHOO
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

Defo go for the corsa
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (110)
27.99%
No - I have already returned home (51)
12.98%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (78)
19.85%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.92%
No - I live at home during term anyway (115)
29.26%

Watched Threads