The Student Room Group

As Sociology- Mass Culture

'Mass culture' has had a negative effect on modern society. Evaluate this argument.
I need to write an essay based on this question but I am stuck any ideas on what to include?
Thankyou
:smile:
Reply 1
Please help anyone!!
I cannot find anything on it!
Think about the following:

1. Define mass culture

2. Discuss what is meant by "negative effect" (how would / could you measure it?). If it can't be measured / assessed what does this tell you about the question?

3. Identify and discuss a few (3?) examples of mass culture "negatives": these might include:

dumbing down (the idea everything is reduced to lowest common denominator)
causing violence (e.g. television, video games)
encouraging bullying, sexism etc. (social networks such as facebook, twitter)
devaluing high cultural forms
reinforcing materialist / consumerist values (everything is reduced to economic value)

4. For each, discuss (with any evidence you can find) their:
possible negative impact.
arguments against their negative impact

5. Conclusion - sum-up the arguments you've examined and draw your own conclusion, based on the evidence you've presented, about the question.
Reply 3
Original post by Chris.Livesey
Think about the following:

1. Define mass culture

2. Discuss what is meant by "negative effect" (how would / could you measure it?). If it can't be measured / assessed what does this tell you about the question?

3. Identify and discuss a few (3?) examples of mass culture "negatives": these might include:

dumbing down (the idea everything is reduced to lowest common denominator)
causing violence (e.g. television, video games)
encouraging bullying, sexism etc. (social networks such as facebook, twitter)
devaluing high cultural forms
reinforcing materialist / consumerist values (everything is reduced to economic value)

4. For each, discuss (with any evidence you can find) their:
possible negative impact.
arguments against their negative impact

5. Conclusion - sum-up the arguments you've examined and draw your own conclusion, based on the evidence you've presented, about the question.

Thankyou!! It has really helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending