Judging People

Watch
MursArmyGo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
should you ever judge people before you know them????? By looks, interests, race or religion. What do you think?????

I think that not everyone is perfect, I certainly am not pretty, perfect or any of those things but people like me and I have friends. However people have judged me and not talked because I'm to pretty. I think you need to get to know someone inside before you judge them for what they look like.

Everybody's opinion is valid, I just think it' very widely discussed topic and I wanted to write a thread on it.

xxx
Automaton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I judge some people. I judge someone that's wearing an "expensive" full-body tracksuit and walks around like he owns the place. I don't care if he's a nice person, he's projecting "chav scum" out to everyone else, and in a world where people don't have the time to really get to know someone, appearances do matter. Of course, if I'm getting to know someone I won't act on my "prejudices" until I do, because I could be wrong. I judge someone that dresses like a hipster in the same way. Because the overwhelming majority of hipsters that I've met are the "Look at me, I'm so individual, you're dressed normally therefore my tastes are better than yours and I'm more intelligent" type. There was an overwhelming amount of them at the college I went to, and all of the ones that I spoke to were pretentious *******s. They were the sole reason for this song being created: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA And it's obvious to anyone that the only reason for dressing like a hipster is to give off the "intellectual, free thinking, individual" vibe, which instantly says "****" to me.

I don't judge anyone on something they can't help, though. That's an obvious one.
Mel1215
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most people go from first impressions. I tend not to judge, but it does happen from time to time.
MursArmyGo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mel1215)
Most people go from first impressions. I tend not to judge, but it does happen from time to time.

I do think that sometimes you cannot help but judge people, but judging by religion or race is completely wrong and racist. So I do agree that it happens from time to time but I try not to let it xx
Frankio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MursArmyGo)
should you ever judge people before you know them?
Should I be prejudiced? No.
ProcrastinatePro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Everyones judges everyone else to some extent. It's human nature.
Cheggazzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I always judge people, it's natural. if the person then manages to change that judgement then good for them (although they don't always change it for the better) but they rarely do so I think I must normally make pretty good judgements therefore I shall continue to judge people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RwLovett
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You probably shouldn't, but of course people do. If someone looks a certain way you might be inclined to think they will have x or y characteristics.

Especially with the prominence of the Internet in most of our lives, we're a lot more visually motivated I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Judging is a medium in which you are able to generalise one's persona through use of stereotypes as to assess what type of a person an individual is. I see no problem but once that judgement becomes discrimination is where the lines been crossed.
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Notwithstanding that I appreciate I shouldn't, I do have an in-built prejudice against people with religious beliefs. Which isn't to say I wouldn't be friends with someone of faith (indeed, I am friends and related to people with strong religious convictions) but my immediate reaction is to roll my eyes inwardly. Sometimes outwardly if they're evangelising.
Automaton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lotus_Eater)
Notwithstanding that I appreciate I shouldn't, I do have an in-built prejudice against people with religious beliefs. Which isn't to say I wouldn't be friends with someone of faith (indeed, I am friends and related to people with strong religious convictions) but my immediate reaction is to roll my eyes inwardly. Sometimes outwardly if they're evangelising.
Me too. But I don't roll my eyes so much if they're evangelising. I respect someone that proselytises more than someone that doesn't. It's their moral responsibility to save my soul from being condemned to hell. If they don't, they're either immoral, or they don't truly believe what they say they do.
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Automaton)
Me too. But I don't roll my eyes so much if they're evangelising. I respect someone that proselytises more than someone that doesn't. It's their moral responsibility to save my soul from being condemned to hell. If they don't, they're either immoral, or they don't truly believe what they say they do.
Very fair point. The eye-roll is for the time wasted, mostly my own.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is nothing wrong with judging people. Everybody does it, despite what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed