The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Questions...? Please help!

Hi...:smile:

Basically I am a confused person. I have a bunch of random questions and I'd be really thankful for any answers.

Quick Background:
I'm in Year 12 and doing the IB: Bio, Chem and Literature at HL, French and History at SL, and Maths Studies because I hate maths and I knew I'd get more points overall with Studies rather than standard. I do plenty of extracurriculars (mentoring, community volunteering, , sport, debating, creative writing etc) and I desperately want to study Pharmacy at Kings College.

Questions:

1) Will doing maths studies affect my uni application? (I've already phoned the unis and gotten the green light, but i want a student's perspective)

2) Just how much maths do you do at Pharmacy school anyway?

3) What kind of things will increase my chances of getting accepted at Uni? Other than grades, I mean.

4) Is King's College Pharmacy school really that horribly competitive? Should I be worried?

5) For anyone who is doing pharmacy at Kings...how are you finding it? What's it like?

Thanks very much for helping out a neurotic IB student. I'm really grateful for any help you guys can offer! :smile:
Hi

4th year Mpharm here,

Just to answer your questions, (!Q1) - You need to confirm with your university

2) You don't need too much Maths , as long as you have the basic then you are fine

3) Work experience , show that you are interested in the profession, buy yourself a BNF and the MEP and read up on it + hobbies as well

4) Yes , Kings is a competitive pharmacy school to get in to , it is not as competitive as Nottingham and Bath but it is up there with the best. If you fancy going into hospital then Kings is the place to be , they have connection with so many hospitals in London.

5) I don't go to King's but one of my cousins (4th years as well) told me the course is fantastic and if you work hard , you will get your reward .
Reply 2
Original post by DentalLondon
Hi

4th year Mpharm here,

Just to answer your questions, (!Q1) - You need to confirm with your university

2) You don't need too much Maths , as long as you have the basic then you are fine

3) Work experience , show that you are interested in the profession, buy yourself a BNF and the MEP and read up on it + hobbies as well

4) Yes , Kings is a competitive pharmacy school to get in to , it is not as competitive as Nottingham and Bath but it is up there with the best. If you fancy going into hospital then Kings is the place to be , they have connection with so many hospitals in London.

5) I don't go to King's but one of my cousins (4th years as well) told me the course is fantastic and if you work hard , you will get your reward .

First off, thanks for replying!

OK, so I'll be reading these papers. I've had work experience in a pharmacy - it's a small community one, not like the big retail ones. Is that OK? I'm volunteering at a nursing home right now, hopefull that'll do something for my personal statement as well.

Anything else you would recommend to make my application stand out? Or maybe some advice on how to conduct myself during the interview (even though that's way off in the future).
Again, thanks!
Original post by Cori96
First off, thanks for replying!

OK, so I'll be reading these papers. I've had work experience in a pharmacy - it's a small community one, not like the big retail ones. Is that OK? I'm volunteering at a nursing home right now, hopefull that'll do something for my personal statement as well.

Anything else you would recommend to make my application stand out? Or maybe some advice on how to conduct myself during the interview (even though that's way off in the future).
Again, thanks!

Mate, you will be fine , those are not papers by the way , they are reference books

British National Formulary

Medicines Ethics and Practice .........
.and I would recommend a pharmacology text book (Rang & Dale) as well
+
Pharmaceutical Journal if you got time (for current news related to pharmacy)
Any pharmacy experience will be highly advantageous, especially, in the interview . Nursing home is an addition +

There will be alot of high caliber students at Kings , the standard increases with each set of cohort ; any extra curriculum activities would be helpful in your application .
Reply 4
OK. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending