dfreddiebarnes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am uncertain whether to chose Theology or History A level. I already know that History is a good subject, but what about Theology?
Jkizer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Theology is a respected subject yes Good if your interested in all that religion stuff ^.^

Look into the modules you study at history first. See if you would enjoy the topics.
Octohedral
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say History is more respected than Theology in general.

(Original post by dfreddiebarnes)
I am uncertain whether to chose Theology or History A level. I already know that History is a good subject, but what about Theology?
(Original post by Jkizer)
I imagine the students taking religious studies / religion and philosophy are going to cry themselves to sleep about their lack of job opportunities after seeing your post ^_^
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
You need to come out of that narrow minded hole your stuck in.
I still think history is more respected, but for the record, I made a mistake - I thought Theology was distinct from Religious Studies, (i.e. one came from a religious point of view and one didn't) but it doesn't seem to be. OP, it might be worth bumping this thread to get more replies.
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Octohedral)
Unless you want to go directly into a religious calling, choose History. Theology may well be a good a-level, but it isn't that respected externally. And to anyone who doesn't believe in a God, it is going to look fairly weak. I know that's harsh, but it's better I'm honest.
So an atheist admissions / employer is just going to reject your a level full stop? Lol.
I imagine the students taking religious studies / religion and philosophy are going to cry themselves to sleep about their lack of job opportunities after seeing your post ^_^
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Unless you want to go directly into a religious calling, choose History. Theology may well be a good a-level, but it isn't that respected externally. And to anyone who doesn't believe in a God, it is going to look fairly weak. I know that's harsh, but it's better I'm honest.
You need to come out of that narrow minded hole your stuck in.

It isn't surprising, then, that our graduates go on to a variety of careers, including journalism, the Civil Service, law, charities and NGOs, teaching, business, and social services, as well as some who go on to work for religious institutions and agencies.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...rses/theology/
Read the link, might enlighten you as to why you don't need to be a Theist to have an interest in theology.
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Where did I say that? I said it's weaker than history - that's my honest opinion of how it's viewed from the outside, and the OP asked for that. Why would I fluff it up to make a couple of people feel better?
You stated the comment like its a fact that religion based subjects will be rejected assuming the reader is a non believe of god. Also I doubt many employers are that cynical.

Also it's not all necessarily about strength of subject. Anyways theology isn't exactly on the save wave length general studies. Probably not too far from history.

Your just wrong loooool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:rofl:

I'm at Oxford - many the colleges are theology based and many of my friends are Theologians. Most of them are religious, some aren't. That wasn't even the OP's question - they asked whether Theology or History was more respected.

I am telling the OP what I genuinely think. Disagree if you like.
I think you're being a bit in denial. Re-read the following two points you made;

Unless you want to go directly into a religious calling
And to anyone who doesn't believe in a God, it is going to look fairly weak.
Now tell me, could you have stated that History is a "more respected" subject than theology, without adding the comments above?

Can't you see why you were called out...?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (53)
6.13%
Uncertainty around my education (98)
11.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (90)
10.4%
Lack of purpose or motivation (106)
12.25%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (42)
4.86%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (46)
5.32%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (97)
11.21%
Financial worries (60)
6.94%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (55)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
2.89%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (84)
9.71%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (69)
7.98%

Watched Threads